Rumours Surface on new PS4 called "Orbis"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by supasaiyan, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proffesso

proffesso Member

entirely possible

card im using now -

FSAA (maximum) 64x

2. mortal

mortal Member

Why not have it all? Current TV's are capable of 1080p and have been for ages, so would be great to start seeing it more often. It's not like you can't tell the difference...

3. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I actually don't think resolution has ever really been a consideration for consoles before? I can't remember people dying for 1080p when the 360 was released.. I mean most people didn't have huge flat screen TV's in 2005 and they certainly didn't when the generation before that came out.

I tend to agree that some on the net say the main thing they want is 1080 high resolution graphics! Tech savy people know that a higher res doesn't mean the actual graphics will be amazing (which is what the person meant), it just means the existing game is clearer.

The next gen consoles would be able to produce realism as good or better as seen on Toy Story 1, so I also think you're wrong on that point too.

You obviously haven't seen a blueray if you'd rather 480p.

Ray tracing, fluids etc are all great, but it's not like companies have been able to do it this whole time but just didn't want to because they didn't have the 'balls' as you put it. It's because hardware hasn't been anywhere NEAR powerful enough to utilize this stuff in games. Of course game designers would want those things IF THEY WERE POSSIBLE (on current and previous consoles). Ray tracing just hasn't been feasible until now, and even now it's really resource hungry.

There are also very good alternatives to ray tracing anyway, unreal engine 4 uses voxel cone tracing, and even you cannot deny this presentation looks amazing, lighting wise:

4. proffesso

proffesso Member

we still havent hit Toystory 1 pixel quality levels. the perfect aa, perfect filtering of textures etc...nowhere near that yet.

even geometry...they are using catmull-clark subdivsion surfaces, perfect, all the way down to sub-pixel

5. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I did say next gen. And of course Toy Story may be technically better, it was rendered frame by frame by super computers, not home consoles. But games can appear just as good.

6. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Hoping for a new Gran Turismo at to be announced for launch (assuming they announce ps4 tonight).

That would be a good way to sell a couple of consoles.

7. proffesso

proffesso Member

just like it was announced for PSP at launch? (and no vita version either...)

fingers crossed, but Polyphony seem to just do their own thing :/

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you understand ray tracing and GI, you'll understand why a "trivial" bump in resolution means so much for that sort of technology. Don't confuse the current graphics cards which are mere pixel pushers in comparison with what happens in a ray traced or GI scene.

There is a tradeoff, and the reason we don't have that hardware right now is because the market constantly demands resolution over and above other improvements. A temporary scaling backwards in resolution would be seen by many has technology "going backwards", which tends to prevent commercial development of such things.

Exactly. These new engines look OK, but they're still not even close to what non-realtime rendering produced 20 years ago for accuracy. Things are still simulated, pre-baked, and generally cheated to achieve an effect that still largely relies on artistic fudging and not actual physics. "Appearing" perfect is half the story, takes a lot of effort by people behind the scenes, and ultimately is never right. When actual physics and ray tracing is employed, often the final result surprises people with nuances in the scene most don't realise.

When I say "people don't have the balls" to make such hardware, I'm talking from the R&D->production phase. Companies (and more importantly investors) want return on investment, and guaranteed profits. A new type of realtime rendering card is a "risk" in marketing/business terms, especially when you have to deal with the "resolution is everything" contingent. If a manufacturer put a card on the market today that could achieve realtime ray tracing at 480p (and here's a hint - all of the engines and hardware that claim the can, can't), the resounding response from the gamer market would be "meh, call me when the resolution gets higher", and the first generation would be an inevitable and abysmal financial loss for the billions of dollars invested.

So pragmatically, yeah I totally understand why it doesn't happen. Big and high end companies are a slave to their investors and/or shareholders, and that's life. But the revolution we saw when the first generation of 3D rasterisers (i.e.: pre-hardware T&L and hardware calculated shaders) came out was over 20 years ago, and we've seen nothing as revolutionary since (the move to GPUs was purely evolutionary, and not nearly as exciting). The next phase *is* hardware ray tracers, but nobody is keen to make them for a bunch of reasons (many of them perfectly valid in the business world).

Aaaaanyways... none of that really matters. The PS4 will be nowhere near any of that. This next generation of consoles is yet another evolutionary bump, and yet another step towards turning consoles into (a) PC-like devices, and (b) multi-function devices where it seems a necessity to be able to play (i.e.: sell licenses for) all sorts of copyright-enforced media and entertainment outside of the sphere of gaming. So hypothetical discussions about the future of hardware 3D is moot, when we're not going to see that for another 20 years yet (if we're lucky).

9. AMD64

AMD64 Member

I've read some stuff on Durango and all im seeing are 2/4/8x MSAA. And if im reading/hearing right the PS4 GPU will be based off the same family but with more CU's.

10. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Actually it's tomorrow at 10AM our time. I can't imagine how amazing GT6 would look, given how amazing GT5 looked, well the proper GT5 tracks and cars anyway.

11. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Oh they do and if you saw the amount of money they make for Sony you'd know why :)

I'm hoping Shuhei has cracked the whip at Polyphony HQ a little though.

12. proffesso

proffesso Member

its a pity they moved thier studio to the middle of nowhere, and thier work practices are tough. I was tempted to join there a few years back. the money was good, but as long as you worked 80+ hour weeks

13. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

if the controller looks like this... i wouldn't complain... seems nice

[​IMG]

once again i'm pretty sure thats just a mock up though lol

14. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

15. flain

flain Member

16. Krumm

Krumm Member

17. flain

flain Member

that works thanks!

Hmm this better not be all about the cloud lol... everyones doing cloud.. it's boooring show me the new hardware. I mean they could do cloud things with new firmware on ps3 if they wanted..

*edit* ok that stream is having issues now too, chat window on the right is filling up with people whining about it :/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

19. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

every stream is getting hammered, they'd just announced it too.

20. thecondor

thecondor Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.