1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Rumours Surface on new PS4 called "Orbis"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by supasaiyan, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I couldn't care less if they crammed a Cray in there, I'm not buying one if they persist down this game locking path.

I have 4 kids and a wife who all have profiles. I'm NOT going to be forced to buy a game 6 times just so we can all play it. Its just bloody ridiculous.

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

The cell in the ps3 is pretty much an 8-core, from what I've read the SPE's act very similar to cores. just putting it out there.

3. toopy28

toopy28 Member

I'm talking dual or quad core cell so 16 or 32 cores.

4. resr

resr Member

The second hand market probably encourages cheaper games as they have to compete with it, to a degree. Especially for back catalogue stuff.

5. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Orifice?????

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nah, tooo, err, in yuor face, so to speak :leet:

7. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Uranus maybe?

8. frizzl

frizzl Member

This was my major concern as well (at least when I lived at home, my younger brother and I would share my Xbox/PS3 but different gamertags).

I can only imagine that they will have considered this though, and most likely make it registered to a account+machine or something similar? That way you could potentially have a family all share the same game.

9. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Share one account with all? Rather than buying and creating a game account for everyone.

10. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

xbox has licences for both the gamertag and the system so people who don't own the game can still co-op with you etc on the same system.

11. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

isnt the saved games tied to the account?

12. proffesso

proffesso Member

a lot of people were expecting a new revision of the cell, but since ibm has pretty much dropped it, it would be too expensive for sony to do it on their own. it would be nice if they kept the current cell as a co-pro, but the tdp required is too high to keep the thermal profile. but also, kind of a waste as not many developers use it properly. most devs just kept it cpu/gpu like on pc/xbox instead of using the spu's to do other things like geometry culling etc to speed up the gpu. at least moving to a more basic development architecture doing multiplats will be easier and raise the quality bar.

and the RSX is pretty much a 7800 as you said, just with higher bandwidth. they couldnt really wait for G80 though, as it wasnt ready for production...delaying the console further would have kicked them even harder.

realistically what I would like to see from sony -

quad/hex core cpu...with core independent frequency stepping
    4gb main memory
    2 - 3gb vram (since sony plans on releasing 4k displays, and the ps3 can already output 4k...and they want this to last a while)
    512 - 1024 compute cores
    speed wise, geforce 480/560 speeds would be plenty. throwing geometry around is the least of our problems now as far as overall image iq goes.

probably wont get the vram, but its nice to dream

hell, ps2 only had 2.5mb of usable vram ;)

13. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

Generally when you buy a game on Steam it can be pretty cheap something like $10 - $40 per game.

When you buy game retail for console it can be up to $120.

I only buy used games for consoles even AAA games I just buy 6 months after release for $20-$40 used to save cash.
    If you can't do this with new console then either games need to be cheaper or there will be a lot less sales.

14. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

I'll first qualify this by stating that it's an opinion and not researched fact.

I think that's a load of utter bullshit. The second-hand market supports and encourages first-hand buying. It also has no measurable impact on loss to the company, other than ill-defined rhetoric posed as statistical data, ie. this person who bought a game second-hand represents a loss to us, the producer. There are so many, many, many problems posed by that definition of loss that it's completely useless as a measuring tool.

It's the same argument that record companies make about 'stolen' music. It simply doesn't hold water.

What these companies need to do is get move forward into the 21st century and develop ways of making money from content that doesn't adhere to traditional ideologies of ownership. In other words, they need to work WITHIN the system instead of against it.

15. The Beast

The Beast Member

Wait wait wait. Kotaku? Report? Sources?

This looks like a massive page hit bait to me. There is nothing even slightly confirmed about this and frankly most of it seems made up.

The specs I have no idea on, they could be legit for all I know. It does seem like Cell won't be used again, which might exclude BC for disc based titles, but I imagine a good portion of PSN games would be able to be emulated.

I don't get the massive desire people have for BC though, I had it on my launch PS3 and never used it. When I move to a new generation console I'm moving to new generation games. Sure I enjoy the HD remakes, but that's usually because they are HD remakes and therefore use the extra power of the new console. If I want to play PS3 games in future I'll use my PS3, right?

The always on internet / DRM rumour is impossible to believe. I would say (and Sony would know) that close to half their PS3 user base isn't connected or even bothers with PSN most of the time. Some of their biggest markets are places like South America for PS2, and when PS3 is last gen it will also sell well there. Draconian DRM on PS4 would shut down sales in South America, Africa, SE Asia etc - as well as piss off much of the northern hemisphere (and us). Ain't gonna happen, at least not how it's suggested here.

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

18. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

That makes sense and I can see that happening with a retail boycott of the PS4 if it went ahead and I would boycott it until otherwise. The only way they [sony] can save themselves the pain of lost console sales is by not destroying the pre-owned games market as grey as it is!

19. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

I honestly don't think Sony could give even one sole solitary fuck of gamestop sell their hardware or not.

It wouldn't cost 1 single sale imho, people would just go buy it elsewhere.

20. claf-43

claf-43 Member

My only complaint with no used games which inevitably will happen sooner or later...

Those games that are discontinued will sky rocket in price so it'll make it impossible to find later on. They must put all discontinued games able to be purchased online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.