1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Rumours Surface on new PS4 called "Orbis"

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by supasaiyan, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

sony might not but the consumer will and that's who they're targeting: kill off your retail channels and expect it to fail!

2. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Why only 4gb main memory? id like to see at least 6gb, the thing i dislike most about consoles is their horrible low quality smudged textures, i don't know too much about it but i'm guessing part of the reason is the usually low amount of ram that consoles have? 4gb is the minimum for something like high quality textures in Crysis2. For something that's next gen id at least like too see texture quality comparable to my PC.

It'd make console ports a bit easier on the eyes as well.

3. proffesso

proffesso Member

main memory doesnt affect texture res, its vram and disk access speed.

on a pc, your throwing away 1-2gb memory just on windows background processes.

hell, they are talking about using 32bit processors in the new consoles. different arch ;)

4. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

You can get pretty nice textures with technical cleverness. These are some ingame screenshots from Killzone 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

reatil channels are already dying, 2nd hand sales is as bad for a publisher as piracy pretty much so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sony and MS try to stop that in a more integrated way then the current slew of random online pass functionality.

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

it's dying because of the fucking mark ups and yet they wonder why they're not getting many sales in!

7. AMD64

AMD64 Member

specs are faker then faky mc fake pants

You'd be insane to use a x86/x86_64 cpu in a console there shit for that.

EDIT:

it could be a dev box, but the final product will not have a x86/x86_64 cpu it will never happen.

8. FiShy

FiShy Member

why would they be insane?

its cheaper and used in everything.

9. Ionos

Ionos Member

Original xbox?

10. AMD64

AMD64 Member

Ill pay the original xbox, microsoft was trying to break into the console market and they were obviously experienced in x86 so it made sense.

But theres a reason they aren't used, the x86 architecture has a tonne of stuff piled onto it and built into it to handle legacy code, and stuff that isn't used anymore this makes it slower, it also means it consumes more power and die space for something that won't be used on a console.

There would be advantages (known codebase, optimised compilers, because of the first you have lots of tricks already known devs are familiar with it). But imo they don't out way the disadvantages that I outlined above.

a X86 cpu with all the legacy crap removed would be great.

Also it'd probably be cheaper to design and manufacture your own chips, given a long enough life span. Sony doesn't have the gear to manufacture x86 cpus at this given time (afaik)

11. FiShy

FiShy Member

yes the X86 instruction set is full of legacy poo but who cares if you get one of the shelf.

Since the release of Ps3/360 alot has changed, even Apple and Sun have moved mostly over to intel based x86 now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. proffesso

proffesso Member

even if you got one off the shelf, you wouldnt bother. the performance/tdp is not good enough in its current state.

strip out all the crap, add a few new, far more useful instructions and you might get somewhere. x86 is legacy and crap. even intel tried to kill it.

ARM is where the smart money is though...take an efficient existing base and design your own requirements around that.

13. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I'll never buy a sony product again....EVAR!!!

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

Yea ARM makes more sense then anything else, they wont go powerpc/cell again though.

15. AMD64

AMD64 Member

popularity does not make it good, it makes it popular. Its one of the reasons that x86 won't die and has a bunch of shit piled on top of this is exactly this reason. Its so popular that it needs to support stuff will never be used again ever.

If they modified x86 and produced something that was more stripped down and with all of the legacy support removed and some other more useful things included, I wouldn't be against it. But then again that wouldn't be x86 it'd be something based off x86.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Why? I would have thought that it helps. There's no way I'll fork out $80 for a game not knowing if it's any good or not. If I know I could trade it for something else, I might get it, otherwise I'm not going to risk wasting that sort of money. Also, with games that are part of a series, you can buy a secondhand copy and then when you see a new one come out, you'll get it. Going in to the shop, you hear about stuff. The girl at my local shop recommended this "Shadow of the Colossus" thing on PS2 and then I saw they'd brought it out on PS3 I bought it.

Maybe they'll turn out to be right that everybody will fork out for the games, but I wonder whether they'll do better in the long run by wiping out the garden-variety non-gamer buyers.

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

from what we hear publishers/developers don't see any money from 2nd hand sales.

Though i wouldn't be surprised if they have some deal with gamestop and such that allows it to happen but they still blow up about it every now and then.

18. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

That is the reason, personally I wouldn't mind that much if they sold the 2ndhand games for a reasonable discount, say $30-$40 but selling $10 less than the price of a new copy is pure greed and devs/pubs get none of that action.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, it's economics. They charge what the market will accept. I don't understand why they only sell new games for a limited time anyway. If they kept selling the popular games you wouldn't have to source a second-hand copy, you could just pop up to KMart or wherever and buy it. They do sell some of them as those double-game boxes and stuff like that, but other games you have to buy when they first come out or they're gone.

20. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.