Running cable in walls - help?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by ShadowBurger, Jan 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Hey guys

Before I go cold calling electricians out of the white pages and start sifting through the bullshit quotes, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help.

I'm installing some ethernet ports and am between a rock and a hard place with one of them. I have a very limited place to put the port - it has to go in a corner which has two doorways up against it. This is for a PoE smart switch and it's the only logical place in the room to put it (and I already cut the hole in the plaster).

I'm hoping someone with experience with this might either be local to me in Berwick, VIC, and willing to come out and help - $$$ for you of course. Or otherwise give me tips before I start cutting holes in the plaster to access wiring.

I'll let pictures do most of the talking;

Here's the location of the switch. For some reason, the original switches in this house (built 1991) are located on the door frames rather than adjacent to them:
    [​IMG]

I just went and bought a spade drill and a bunch of extensions in the hopes of just making a new pathway down to the switch, but discovered there's a plank vertical in that small space effectively making that impossible. Again, illustrations to the rescue. Red is filled space:
    [​IMG]

Digging more into it, the existing wiring appears to pass through the end stud into the hallway's wallspace, then goes vertical. From there it doesn't go through the top plate though, it runs along the top of the doorway, passes through a number of studs, and along to the next room before it surfaces in the roof:
    [​IMG]

So i don't have a chance in hell of taping some fish tape to it and drawing it through, it's wedged in there good, and I can see the holes in the studs it passes through are the same size as the cable... meaning I won't fit any extra runs through the existing holes.

Wtf do I do? I'm not far off cutting out the plaster in the hallway so I can drop a cable down there but I'm not certain how much more difficult that will be without knowing what other structure will be in the wall at that corner

2. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

too far for me to come help, but could you drop the cable down inside that wardrobe perhaps? or possible to put it somewhere else and patch that hole?

edit - i hope you're not running data cable together with the power?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  3. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

yeah I've thought about it, but I'm trying to avoid buying conduit and butchering the shelf inside to pass it through

mainly for PoE, and firmware updates / initial config. i can just turn the lights off at the fuse box if it gives me trouble given how rarely i'll need to do that. the switch is WiFi the rest of the time

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Well... running power and data together is a no no.. and diy data cabling is a further no no...

Get an expert in

MR CHILLED, money_killer and McRutch like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Got it done. Did a conduit in the cupboard. Not ideal but better than redoing plaster

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

always hated this. so I can clip a terminated cable to the outside of my plaster walls for 10m and its all hunky dory. I want to put that same cable in my walls and apparently I need an upper cut and a tafe certificate to do it.

and there is nothing different about the cable, just one is considered "permanent" and the other "temporary"

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  7. McRutch

McRutch Member

Is this thread not evidence enough that the certificate is necessary? the guy wants to run it down same hole as power :lol:

Pugs likes this.
  8. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Without having done the course then you don't know the risks and requirements involved. Knowing the rules is one thing. Understanding why is another. Experience from running cables is on top of those. There is a reason this is all trade based. Just because someone doesn't understand doesn't mean it is there for a bloody good reason.

9. havabeer

havabeer Member

and not one person gave the reasons why, just the spooky "get an expert in"

the expert could run the two together (power and data) and the poor OP would never know if this was right or wrong because no one explained why.

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

i never said that, in fact I specifically said that it wouldn't be possible to run it along the same path and was looking for alternative ways to install it

had it been possible, would I have done it? absolutely. you're even less qualified than I am if you think 1200mm of unused, disconnected, light circuit cabling is going to upset a 100mbit ethernet link over cat6. maybe keep your assumptions to yourself

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  11. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Because the experts are sick of telling people to get an expert to do it, rather then how to do it themselves.

12. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

How are you powering the switch? Hopefully not by tapping off the light circuit?

money_killer likes this.
  13. money_killer

money_killer Member

LoL one would hope not

14. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

PoE

This device renders the original light wiring redundant

15. Zee

Zee Member

Before anyone in their brain says "yeah yeah", one doesn't appreciate how nice proper standards (like the Aussie ones) are until one doesn't have them.

We're building a house here in the Philippines, and trying to get the locals to wire to Australian standards has been a mission - 220v and data are often run (and taped!!!!) together, no thought given to the location of power points and possible water, high voltage nailed to the wall, run through doorways that made of metal (that insulator is gunna wear off eventually!!), and no attention paid to wire sizing and likely load... Needless to say watching homes burn from a friend's balcony over beers whilst fire engines are stuck in gridlock traffic has become fairly common in my neck of the woods. Pretty much a daily thing, in point of fact.

Be glad for Aussie standards, and please stick to them.

Z...

16. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Ah, it's a PoE light switch you are putting in, fair enough then.

Some days I do wish they came up with a different name for a network switch, as confusion often abounds.

money_killer likes this.
  17. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

When I was running Ethernet in my house I used a cupboard for 1 run and there was a small gab between the wall and the shelves (wall facing into the cupboard if you know what I mean) so I could fit conduit in there without cutting anything.

18. McRutch

McRutch Member

Keeping assumptions to oneself would be good advice for you too, as I'm more qualified for it than you'll ever be.
    I mean it's not like I've run my own electrical company for over 10 years, and I definetely don't have data cabling contracts for government buildings. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  19. OP
    OP
    ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

my assumptions were unrelated to your qualifications, more toward your feel for a need to weigh in on something I didn't ask about

constant problem here on OCAU - nobody can stay on topic when they think they have some minor anecdote to add: Oh, you mentioned doing literally anything at all to do with a cable of any sort and a house? Better bring up that I'm a qualified sparky and point out the rules and regs.

I've done the job. move on

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  20. McRutch

McRutch Member

Oh your right, sorry you didn’t assume I was less qualified, you stated it.

We were all just supposed to know the original lighting cable was disconnected and redundant from the beginning because you’ve had a sparky in yeah?

Pugs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.