Running ethernet cable questions

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by vladtepes, Mar 14, 2018.

1. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Please assume I am ignorant on this topic. I am, Completely.

I have my ADSL internet connection in my study, with TV's in three rooms (one next door and the other two at the other end of the house).

I'm finding that the wifi is completely inadequate for Amazon Prime (and some other) streaming.

I'm therefore considering running ethernet cable.

Questions:

How best to do this? I'd presumably need some sort of a plug plate in the wall in the study, with patch cables to a router?
    Similarly a plug in each room next to where the TV plugs in.

What sort of cable? (cat 6 etc?) I'm not sure if it makes any difference but if we ever get NBN I need to ensure that whatever I put in remains 'compatible'.

I presume I need some special tool to terminate the cables at the plugs - I gather this is a KRONE tool? These are very expensive for a one-off job...

Anyway any advice people can offer is most welcome.

Thank you.

edit: I just saw this thread too - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/threads-about-cabling.667377/

I'm still after answers to the above questions, but assuming I were to pay someone any idea how much it might cost, ballpark?

Perhaps I'd be able to save some money by running the cables myself and the tech could then do the actual connections?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Assumption made... and no tech would just terminate cables installed by a non cabler... it all has to do with how it was installed and if it was installed to the regs... but feel free to do a week long course plus the follow up 3 day course... and the 300+ hours of supervised work.

And unless you ever plan to do it again the cost of even basic tools and equipment will be far more then you would "save"

Plus we cablers come equipped with all the knowledge of how to get down wall cavities plus all the right tools to do so... you can have a go but legally no one can provide the info for you...

Enjoy.

rough cost of $90-$120 per run

3. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks.
    Realistically I hadn't really planned to do it myself, but I don't want to be ignorant.
    I''d like to know what is actually used / what I'd expect things to look like when done in the study

I need to know exactly what to ask for when I ring the sparky.

I assume that when you say per run, based on my OP that would mean three runs?

Now just need to find a good installer in Bracken Ridge area.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Find an actual comms cabler as opposed to a sparky...

per run is one cable with a mech at each end... and a wall plate... while one run you have a single wall plate at either end.. but with three cables terminated at one point it becomes slightly cheaper

Ask for 3 Cat6 data points using Clipsal Cable, mech and wallplates you could also get the cabler to install your RG6 to F-type one 4 way plate (with it coiled up in the roof with enough to reach anywhere on the front of the house)

Alby1976 likes this.
  5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

If you're handy, it's really not hard to do. But you need to be aware of things like separation distances - I think AS3000 and S009 have all the details, and make sure you know where the other services in your walls are (water and mains power). That said, I've seen jobs done by professionals that are terrible, just run diagonally across the roof over the insulation/beams/joists/etc... with the occasional half-saddle or cable tie and zero labelling - so there's no guarantee they'll do a good job. But if you don't know what you're doing then it might be best.

Try to use walls where you can conceal the cable (depends on the house). In QLD, do you have access under the house, or double brick external walls?
    I don't bother running a single cable between two points, always use a 2 point wall plate or bigger. The additional effort is almost nothing, it's just extra hardware.
    Cat 5e works fine for 99% of home uses, but for a new install make sure you're getting Cat 6.

Everything below is hypothetical:
    Put the wall plates in the double brick cavity walls so there's no exposed conduits. Use a drill, then grinder, then chisel to put a plastic wall box in the concrete, and the wall plate will later screw into that. Install conduit in the ceiling (running along the sides of the joists so it can't be stepped on) from one wall plate to the other, and if it has a few bends put a box in the middle that I can use to pull the cable. Leave a draw-wire in the conduit as you install it to make life easy, and drop it down to the wall plate on each end. Then just tie the Cat5/6 (and a second draw wire if you might want to add cables in the future) on the end and pull it through, punch-down each end with a Krone tool, clip in the connectors and screw in the face plate.

6. miicah

miicah Member

That's what my roof cavity looks like, brand new house and one cable cut too short so it's basically a guitar string...

7. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

In the eyes of the Wiring Rules, that's perfectly acceptable - if its not a suspended ceiling, ie: residentials.
    Mightn't be aesthetically pleasing, but lets face it, you don't parade guests through roof spaces all the time, and if you do go in there, you keep your eyes open for more serious looking things live mains anyway, anyone who just walks around up there without a care, deserves what they get, be it a bang on the head, spider bite, possum claws, whatever :)

8. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks all

Anyone know the best way to find a good professional comms cabler? I'm in Bracken Ridge.

DarkVendor -

My house is brick veneer on slab single storey.

So you mean basically run two cables to each location and have 2 plugs available there to ensure usage covered? eg might have an Ethernet connected DVR and TV.

Pugs -

RG6 to F-type - I assume this is for the HFC connection in future?

If anyone has this type of setup and can show me a picture of what their main wall plate (eg the FROM distribution point where the internet comms come into your house) that'd be handy. :)
    (OR even a pic from the internet, whatever)

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

vladtepes likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

11. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Did my own house, Cat 6 price was not a great deal more when buying 100m box. connecting the whole house + extra runs for the Ip cameras + tools ect was about $300 and half a day of swearing. (old double brick)

12. gords

gords Oh deer!

I had 6x Cat6 ~15m runs installed yesterday at my place. One end they were terminated into a patch panel (existing), the other end wallplates. $180 ex-GST in labour (easy access via ceiling cavity/tile roof), $163 ex-GST in materials.

vladtepes likes this.
  13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

As per the sticky, be aware that:
    All customer cabling work in the telecommunications, fire, security and data industries must be performed by a registered cabler. This includes all fixed cabling that connects to, or is intended to be connected to the telecommunications network. All data network systems that connect to or may be connected in the future to the telecommunications network are included in this requirement.

It's all well and good to DIY, but if questions are asked, you're leaving yourself open to issues with NBN/Telstra and insurance companies.

Pugs and vladtepes like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I am not doing it myself.

I also have better things to not do with my time. LOL

:)

TheWedgie likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Do these cablimg people typically come and measure up and do quotes for free?

16. TheWedgie

All good - was more in response to DarkYendor's post.

They should. I'd be wary of anyone that won't.

vladtepes likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

OK cool. Well I just thought of another room I should put a connection in... bugger.

18. TheWedgie

Always the way. At least it's before the job.

Cost me ~$800 to get three cat6 and three coax installed in my lounge after I forgot to put a second plate in whilst building.

EDIT: Was well worth it IMO, the poor bastards spent a whole day climbing through my raked ceiling, full of aircon ducts :lol:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  19. Zee

Zee Member

Yes. The last three sparkys I've dealt with all cable tied the Cat 6 to their 240v runs

*triple facepalm*

Z...

vladtepes likes this.
  20. Zee

Zee Member

Minor rant...

WTF is it about people quoting ex-GST? It's not the US, our GST is fixed and nation wide. ARGH.

So, the price was $198 labour, and $180 materials. $378 total.

/rant

Z...

MR CHILLED, Alby1976 and vladtepes like this.