Running ethernet cable questions

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by vladtepes, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I just did my house and lashed out and run Cat 6A, cost is about $1.30/m + mechs etc. Shouldn't have to worry about upgrading it for some time.

2. caspian

caspian Member

if it's for business purposes the GST component can be claimed as an input tax credit, it's only as the end consumer of the product or service you pay it.

3. Zee

Zee Member

Oh, yes, I am very aware. I have a business, but it still is no fucks given, because, whilst, yes, I claim the tax credit (quarterly, when I do my BAS), the amount of money that leaves my bank account *includes* GST. Also, consumers often get quotes this way - which is actually what really gets my goat.

The number of times I've seen a client receive an EX-GST quote, with no inc GST price, bends my brain. It's retarded and needs to stop.

Z...

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

As for planning runs, always double up, if you think you need 1 port, go for 2, 2 go for 4. etc. The bulk of the cost is in the labour, and it's about he same labour effort to run 2 instead of 1, much cheaper than having to get them to come back later to run extras.

5. caspian

caspian Member

unfortunately, while a business serves both wholesale and retail customers, I doubt it's going to. nor to my knowledge is it not illegal to quote an ex-GST price for wholesale purposes, as long as the GST-inclusive price is also shown (i.e. you're not allowed the show non-GST price and the GST component separately).

obviously the business has to pay the GSP component upfront, but the intent is to show the end cost to the business.

6. gords

gords Oh deer!

That was just me being lazy. The invoice was itemised before the GST component and I didn't want to calculate what percentage was labour and what percentage was materials. :lol:

7. Pugs

Pugs Member

IMO site visit for retro fits is mandatory unless distance is a factor... done one or two jobs where that wasn't practical..

vladtepes likes this.
  8. Pugs

Pugs Member

I don't earn enough to qualify for GST so I don't quote it..

9. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

After seeing the NBN termination that they did to my cable run I'd doubt any questions would have been asked... Mine was far better and improved sync.

I understand there's rules but it's clearly aimed at the lowest common denominator. The most dangerous part is being in the roof space pulling cable within the area of 240v runs. Particularly older style home where old junction boxes are often exposed.

10. tobes

tobes Member

What about grabbing some Ethernet Over Power Adapters and trying that out first. Has been perfectly fine for Streaming NetFlix/Fetch TV at my current and previous houses. Plus, takes all of 30 seconds to install assuming the powerpoint isn't buried behind cabinets

11. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

I've heard of these but have no idea about them, at all. Let alone how they would work.
    Would you be kind enough to provide a link to what I would need for this?

Thanks

12. tobes

tobes Member

There are heap of them out there. Here is one example. Essentially plug one end to a powerpoint next to router then plug other end near TV(s) then run the Ethernet Cables on each end. They come in pairs typically but you can have multiple ends sharing the one "network" connection near the router I believe they need to be from the same manufacturer but perhaps not any more.

vladtepes likes this.
  13. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Personally, I agree - however I'm not opening up OCAU to any issues from some spud using information on the forums and burning down their house.

We decided to allow posts about how to DIY, with the caveat that it's well advised to be illegal.

kombiman likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Thanks tobes.

15. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

enter the bureaucrats and lobbyists, but but but then people can install their own CAT5/6 cabling if the future is fibre to everyone's home.

those rules were put in place to stop the likelihood of EM / foreign battery mangling the PMG / telecom network.

;)

16. merlin13

merlin13 Member

OP - I'll stir the pot here and ask what diagnostics have you run on your WiFi setup. As much as wire will outperform wifi, assuming you already haven't done so already then still could be worth some investigation there, before sinking coin into having someone jerk wires perhaps.

Are you actually sure your system is running "properly" for your house setup and not being affected by in-band interference, low/high RF levels, wrong/clashing/overlapping channel selection etc etc etc? If the wifi for the TVs are all set on the same or overlapping (wireless) channels for example then there's an excellent "Ooops" to fiddle with.

I'd also be pondering how much bandwidth Amazon Prime needs from your ADSL, especially if all the TVs are hammering it simultaneously.

17. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

OP: Where is your WiFi located in your house? Is it relatively central, or is it right at one end. I "hypothetically" ran Ethernet cables from my end room with the router to my open living area, then installed a good quality WiFi AP with PoE in the living room (and disabled the integrated WiFi on the router in the far room). Being in the center of the house, it gives me much better coverage at the front end, and there's probably a lot less leaking to my neighbours over the back.

If you're running cables anyway, maybe look at running one to the ideal location for a WiFi Access Point.

18. tobes

tobes Member

The thing is wifi on TVs and a lot of Set Top Boxes sucks. I had my router sitting less than a meter from my TV with a standard internal wall in between (i.e. Studs/Gyprock) even then the TV dropped out all the time. When plugged in directly it just works fine.

19. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

bigger problems I think, we've had multi simul wifi TV's in use and no problems (all panasonics)

20. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Off topic but Welcome To Dark Art World of RF Stuff... :leet:

Just because you've got the wireless devices effectively sitting next to each other does not guarantee a good radio/wifi signal. In that instance the first culprits to look for/at would be:

- signal levels are 'way too high, aka the equivalent of me resting my head on your shoulder and shouting into your ear

- inband radio interference from any other device within radio range

- wrong or too narrow a WiFi operating band selected for TV streaming

- that router couldn;t handle the necessaries for real-time TV streaming

- "stuff" in the wall interfering with the "Look Ma, No Hands!" magic.

Then there's other "stuff" to dick about with after that, but the Thread doesn't need to be completely derailed going into those here.

Nobby6 likes this.