running virtualization on eee/umpc. experiences?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by bobblanchett, Apr 2, 2009.

1. bobblanchett

bobblanchett New Member

My first post. please be gentle :)

I fall over a lot. long story(no im not pissed!)

so a umpc/eee with a internal/external ssd is what I'm looking at.

The thing is I have to use windows sometimes.(xp and up

what joy/experiences have people had with guest vm's running on a linux host on eee or other UMPCs, using whatever hypervisor(parallels/xen/qemu/virtual box)

How has the usb, sound and networking support for guest vm's been?

is anyone booting guests off of USB flash/HDD?

If a eee/10" netbook isn't sufficient I'd be interested to know of 15" and smaller UMPC's with RAM capacity that might prove suitable.

my hunch is a UMPC would struggle virtualizing a single W2k8 guest or recent windows client OS. has anyone tried?

Cheers and Go Dons.

Bob

2. power

power Member

whatever you do, it'll be slow.....

RAM and CPU will limit you most.

3. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I run Ubuntu 8.04 w/array.org kernel on my EeePC 901... I use VirtualBox to run a 30GB Windows XP Pro Virtual Machine off an 80GB USB 2.5" HDD.

All I use it for is Office 2007 and Uni programming using Xilinx/MPLab. It runs fast enough, I can run the VM fullscreen on a 2nd monitor and use the main EeePC screen as normal.

It's fast enough for what I do and if I fullscreen it on the EeePC screen, you wouldn't really be able to tell it's in a virtual machine (unless you tried something that needs 3D accel :) ).

Even when using the VM, I can still go about playing music/movies (non HD sources) and browsing the net in Ubuntu.

FWIW I have 2GB RAM and the 2.5" HDD is just some cheapy samsung thing I bought a few years ago/have spare. :Pirate:

4. OP
    OP
    bobblanchett

bobblanchett New Member

guest sound and usb support?

Thanks Menthu,

I'll fit much the same usage profile, I have to do a lot of powershell programming right now but would prefer a linux host and the option to run a guest OS where possible.

Hows the VM XP guest managed with sound and USB devices?

solid problematic or non-existent?

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Sound is OK, it garbles a bit on the XP bootup/login sound but otherwise it's fine.

USB is great. I programmed the PIC/CPLD in my DSX kit through XP using virtualbox's USB filter/passthrough options :D Worked flawlessly.

Just note that you have to add the virtualbox/usb users group to your username and also turn on the usbfs support (all in ubuntu) and possibly disable USB2.0 controller (in virtualbox). Can link you to the threads/info necessary later/on weekend. :thumbup: