RV'ing the North Pacific Coast

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by PunX0r, Jun 14, 2019.

1. PunX0r

PunX0r Member

We (me, wife and a 9 and 3 yr old) are looking to hire an RV from Seattle and drive down through Oregon to San Francisco over a 2 week period in mid to late May 2020.

We are looking at something like the below for rental, but I have never driven an RV before (or caravan for that matter) and was wondering if it would be wise for a 1st timer on the wrong side of the road.

http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rv-rentals/class-c-28-30

I would love to be able to see something like this in real life while still here in Wollongong/Sydney but I am having trouble even finding something this big anywhere,

Has anyone else done something similar? I would love to hear any stories/troubles you came across.

2. miicah

miicah Member

It's an auto, you will get used to driving on the wrong side in a few hours. If you've ever driven a Toyota LWB or small truck I can't imagine it's much different.

3. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Yeah its an auto, it around 10 meters long though....

4. y2j

y2j Member

Never driven an RV through Oregon, but I've driven a car through there and you pick it up after a few hours. However, while it's late May/early June, don't discount rain in the Pacific North West which may impact your driving (ability and time between locations).

It's generally a lovely time there (I've spent many a June, July and August there), but the odd downpour, and depending on your route, and places of interest (e.g. Mt Hood) and you may have a few issues. Otherwise, go for it!

What's your itinerary?

5. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Not 100% sure at this stage, basically so far its from Seattle out to possibly Aberdeen (Kurt Cobain stuff), down to Astoria (Goonies Stuff) then following the 101 down to SF.

6. c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

just curious what is it gonna cost you?

7. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Not sure yet, but happy to post up my budget once its complete, Im estimating at this stage around the $30k mark for the whole trip, but still so far from completing the budget.

8. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I costed out an RV along with parking sites, and a decent hire car and cheap hotels worked out cheaper for me. I did a ~3 week trip in 2017 around most of california and some nevada (vegas) / arizona (GC). Ended up with a Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription ($100-120k AUD car) for ~$70 USD / day and regularly found hotels or airbnb etc for around that amount also.

http://www.economycarrentals.com includes all the relevant insurances (from memory you need LDW, CDW and personal liability or something like that to get "equivalent" cover to australian comprehensive. It meant the drive was more comfortable, it used WAAAAY less fuel than an RV (massive v8's and poor consumption) - could go or park anywhere and was great.

$30k is a lot for 2 weeks!

EDIT: We were family of 4 with me, wife and Son (7) and daughter (5). All up our trip was under $10k, but i used FF points so return airfares for all of us was ~$2.5k

9. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Hey GTR27, sorry I should have mentioned the $30K was for the whole holiday not just the RV part.

Thanks for the advice on economy car rentals, I will certainly check them out, we will be hiring a car to get from Anaheim to San Diego and again for a round trip from Seattle to Vancouver and back again.

The RV side of things I think was to be more of an "experience" than just a mode of transport, im just concerned about the physical size of them being much bigger than anything I have ever driven over here.

10. c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

I went from a Nissan Cube to an elgrand then to a 40foot bus, after the first hour or so you are good, the only issue I had was parking but again you do it a couple of times and you are set

11. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

That's great to hear, we are only looking at the 30 footer - http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rv-rentals/class-c-28-30

12. c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

30 should be no probs for you mate just go wide at the turns and have someone standing behind you when reversing, the wife and I use the UHF and a walkie talkie we are set

13. OP
    OP
    PunX0r

PunX0r Member

Do you know if reversing cameras are pretty standard in the RV's over there?

14. c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

oh god no idea man but in a fairly new vehicle it should be