1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

RX 570 issue - drivers or hardware?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pwlm1975, Jul 15, 2020.

?

What is my next step for this issue?

1. Bite the bullet at buy a new card?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Try to get replacement motherboard (Skylake/Kaby Lake range)?

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Appeal to the Gods by sacrificing a goat?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. shredder

shredder Member

Without meaning to give half a solution - I don't know offhand what an efficient process would be, to suit your setup.

It was just the thought that it's possible to wipe the software slate almost entirely clean, for testing purposes, by using another OS.

One way to do that might be to install Ubuntu, e.g. on a second drive or partition, chuck Steam on it, and try comparing the performance of some applicable games which run on both platforms (Windows and Ubuntu). All the aforementioned Ubuntu stuff is done via the GUI, more or less like in Windows.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:15 AM
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  2. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued New Member

Well its got me stumped....... Sorry i couldn't be of any/much help.... I'd say your old faithful Mobo is dieing(just my guess but yeah, what else).... best of luck on this one.....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:58 AM
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Unigine Valley runs natively in Linux (separate Linux build download available on the Unigine website).

Will give you a nice consistent comparison to eliminate the OS (and potentially drivers) as the issue if the problems also exist in Linux.

4. OP
    OP
    pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Thanks mate, that's my guess too. I have a nasty habit of going cheap on mitherboarda, this might be the kick In the pants that pushes me in the right direction.

Very good to know, I'll do this at some stage but for now I can't get the missus off the machine now that it is functioning as it should.

5. im late

im late Member

My comment above does add value as you play at 1080p (if I am reading right)?

run Msi afterburner screen overlay "during game play" to monitor "CPU usage".

Watch the CPU usage (in percent) as the game FPS drops and then as it goes back up to normal.

If my theory is correct, the game will suffer FPS drops as the CPU goes to 90~100% usage.

ONE example I have is I was playing ghost recon Wildlands with a gtx1070 and an i5. On medium settings at 1080p. The game was almost unplayable as frames were dipping down to below 20, especially in open world.

Once I swapped out with a i7-6700 - the issue went away and CPU usage was only about 20% (ideal scenario).

I get that all this seems illogical to you as it was all fine months ago. However one must consider all possible causes.

So either,

- Do a clean windows install, wipe storage and start again

Or

- try my method as it is free (in money and time spent) and will paint a clear picture of what is going on DURING GAME PLAY..

pwlm1975 likes this.
  6. im late

im late Member

The fact of the matter is, CPU usage during game play has a great affect on FPS performance.

Too high and it does - and will affect the same way as you describe in your first post.

What I was stating is you are spending too much time thinking it may be the gpu or board, when I hazard a guess you have no bad/faulty parts.

You either have a bad Windows/driver issue (which only a clean install can fix).

Or You simply need a gruntier CPU (ignoring the fact it was fine before).

I also hazard a guess if you play a game with Vulcan API enabled (rather than old school Directx11) then you will see the issue go away. Vulcan is a well optimised game engine and does not need much CPU usage.

Ghost recon breakpoint is one game that can be played in both modes to try out.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  7. im late

im late Member

if you dont have breakpoint I am 99% sure you can install the trial version for free from the uplay app.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Here's a link to some results with Far Cry 4 during about a 10 minute session of play on V. High preset/1080p/Fullscreen

https://imgur.com/a/zIUIdRs

It's back in the x16 slot and once again, I cannot appear to replicate the issue. I will have to wait until during the week on a lunch break to install Ubuntu and try the Steam comparison (while there's nobody else in the house).

9. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

About the only thing left I can think of is signalling errors.

To dumb it down a bit, PCIE is basically a network protocol. It sends packets over multiple "ethernet cables" (lanes) and aggregates them at the other end.

PCIE v1 could be likened to 100mbit - with 16 cables. Which would give 1.6gbit. It's not that. It's higher, but it's an analogy.
    PCIE v2 could be gigabit x 16.
    PCIE v3 could be 10gbit x 16.

Again, it's an analogy. It's not fact.

So... If there's a signalling issue that's corrupting up the packets and stalling the processing: Try limiting the board in the bios to v1.

See if the problem goes away.

If it does, we're on the right track. Then try PCIE v2

10. OP
    OP
    pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Well I'm happy to report that I have not seen a return of the issue after 2 days regardless of what I do or how I try to. Card is consistent, no frame rate issues or lag.

I feel like I missed a piece of info which may or may not be important. I removed a PCI WiFi card while moving the GPU to the x4 slot because the size of the RX570 cooler wouldnt allow it to be plugged in anywhere. After seeing the improvement I then moved the card back to the x16 and plugged the WiFi card back in, and after a restart low and behold the issues are back. After then swapping back to x4 and baxk again I left the WiFi card out, and the problem seems to not be a thing any more.

Is it possible, even plausible, that a driver conflict caused the issue intermittently depending on internet traffic? I had always said the issue began with a W10 update and am wondering as per a few posts ago, whether looking at hardware was simply the wrong viewpoint altogether?