Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Leak screams BS with supposed 8/16 G SKU's listed..

3. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

how dare you question the internet

yeah it goes on to say in the article to take it with a grain of salt, had to post something to appease the amd gods

4. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

5. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

6. Jimba86

Jimba86 Member

I hope more info is released about threadripper 3.

I want to do a new build and threadripper is what im keen on but dont want to drop money when TR3 is a few months away.

7. Nian

Nian Member

I have friends with 1920x's. They are super keen for Zen2!

8. Phido

Phido Member

Will likely have 32-64+ core full speed units. Its a derivative product from the other AMD lines. No magic secret. But talking about threadripper would likely confirm what we suspect what is going to happen to am4.

I would imagine that at that level, people will struggle to utilise that many cores. I know some people say that, but in this case, yes, 64+ cores in a desktop machine is probably not going to be efficiently used. Renders and encoders often have a limit.

9. PureFire

PureFire Member

Apps will just increase their core count limit like Maxon recently did with Cinebench because otherwise it will make the decision to move to other render apps or GPU rendering that much easier.

10. Phido

Phido Member

Same rumors again...
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/overview-of-zen-2-ryzen-3000-processors-spotted-online.html

Intel expected to release 10 core processor to compete. No idea of clocks. Probably not that aggressive on all core. Will probably be competitive with AMD 12 core versions possibly, and faster than 8 core versions.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/comet-lake-release-date-specs-performance-price

AMD and 16 cores in AM4 looks like it will be tough to beat. Still, a lot of coin.

I am betting AMD will discontinue the 12 and 16 core thread rippers, I wouldn't be surprised if they start at 24 then 32, 48, 64.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 2:19 PM
  11. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

12. Perko

Perko Member

Why would they do that?

13. asho444

asho444 Member

Give Intel a false sense of security?

14. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Could be that, also could be at the time the 12 or 16 core designs weren't ready/working stable to show yet, or they don't want to overhype this early and lose zen+ sales. From the CES system power draw figures the zen2 was running at around 65w TDP max. But I'd say most likely it's because CES demo was an early engineering sample cpu, and thus they couldn't show us how final zen2 will perform as that's still a couple of design tweaks to get the clock speeds up and be stable. As said earlier noone is expecting a formal lineup announcement with clocks etc finalized until Computex (end of May).

Another zen2 video is up from adoredtv, this time playing devils advocated, ignoring leaks entirely and covering a more skeptical angle of what the worst case of zen2 could be performance wise.

15. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Gah! That guy is painful to listen too, has some good shit to say but goddamn that accent is horrible.

thecondor likes this.
  16. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

I love the scotsman. But I'm not sitting through a 30 minutes video. Let me read it.

17. OJR

OJR Member

He probably thinks the same about your accent.