Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I've ordered my 3600, which should prove a decent upgrade over my poor old i5-2500k. :) Grabbed an MSI B450 board with USB flashback because I don't have an existing chip.

SSJ4 likes this.
  2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

MSY Clayton had stock today of the 3700X.. (even though the website showed out of stock).. at aroudn 16:00..

bought a couplef of X470 clearance boards.. just for the fun of it..

3. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

PM me.

4. bobsled

bobsled Member

I have been swapping drives between systems and changing hardware out for years without issue. Notable considerations were ensuring AHCI was enabled as a boot time service in Windows (accessible via offline sys reg hive mount if wasn't done beforehand) or if upgrading from BIOS -> EFI, creating the necessary partitions in Windows PE.

Everything else is garbage and unless you've been upgrading Windows for years and dick around with your software, or finally moving an old 32bit OS install, there's no point wasting countless hours on setting everything back up, gaining nothing.

Windows detects new hardware and you're good to go.

Source: I do this on a regular basis. AMD -> Intel -> x86-64 Snails, Doesn't matter.

5. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

Dammit, I have this trembling in my fingers as I try to resist upgrading from 1950X

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

How do you go with Windows 10 activation, I know mine is tied to my Microsoft account, so I'm guessing it will just reactivate when I log in again?

7. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

no prob, just fyi the 3.43 bios works well for pinnacle ridge, once you drop a Valhalla chip in the same bios displays a ton of new settings/menus, like, an absolute shit load & thats when the trouble sinks in

no pcie4 options since amd blocked retailers from patching it into the older mobos

re x470 taichi bios, i think trouble stems from two things
    dropping a 3k series chip in unlocks a host of new settings, and a second overclocking menu, you need the old pbo settings to mirror the Valhalla enabled settings
    secondly they have a new setting for ram above like 2934 mhz or something close to that figure, so 3000mhz + = bsod
    if you run into that just drop the profile to 2934 or whatever that ballpark setting is

8. bobsled

bobsled Member

That's mostly a platform and system downgrade! I'm waiting for the 3rd gen TR products later this year, meaning you can keep everything else and slot in a shiny new (binned) CPU... it'll be worth it!

Yep, my personal PCs have not had a problem and I've used a digital license linked to my MSA without any interruption at all... as soon as an internet connection is established, it updates seamlessly.

That being said I mostly handle corporate machines licensed using KMS so this is slightly different. Activation in Windows 10 is a major improvement, and it really doesn't get in your way even if no product key is installed. (I have a mate gaming with the watermark, but doesn't care :Paranoid:)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. Supersize

Supersize Member

At the end of the day I don't mine a reinstall anyway, doesn't take that long anymore, had problems with Windows 10 when I bought my 8700k, moving the drive from the 7700k and it just wouldn't activate, even MS themselves couldn't get it to work (let them remote in for the first time ever), they ended up giving me a full Windows 10 key, where prior it was a linked MSA Windows 8 Pro key that I used to install Windows 10.

Pretty much all 3 machines I'll have to do again, so if all the parts show up Friday I'm going to have a busy weekend.

I bit the bullet today too, bought a RTX 2080ti to go with the 3900x, I wasn't going to, but hey got a good bargain on it..

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

new or 2nd hand 2080ti what model and $$$$

11. Edward05

Edward05 Member

hey guys i'am in a pickle, Keep my 9400f or move back to AMD, I have not used AMD since the FX era,

So just wondering if i should move back to AMD i cannot find any comparison in gaming so not sure if its worth the move back,

Back in the Day i always did find amd smoother for gaming and snappier in windows etc, Is this still the case ?

Cheers

12. Supersize

Supersize Member

ROG RTX 2080ti Advanced $1500, 3 days old...

Court Jester likes this.
  13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

id personally keep the 9400 and wait until the 10th gen intel is out ( the line up was leaked erectly) and get that
    the 9400 is still a decent cpu

you could also pick up one of the 2xxx series cpus that are being dropped like a hot potato in the FS section

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'd do it, you haven't got the clocks that a 9600K/9700K/9900K have which keep them in front in pure gaming
    Even so I believe the 3600X edges out the 9600K and your clocks are way south of that

However unless you're stretching for 3700X or 3900X I don't believe the gaming experience will be hugely affected unless you're playing a heavily threaded game

Stop buying all the cores LOL saw you sniping away at 2700xs lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
    shane41 likes this.
  15. OJR

OJR Member

It doesn't matter what you do, it'll be for sale 2 weeks later. :lol:

Court Jester likes this.
  16. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Only a shill troll fanboi like you would leak erectly over 14++++++++++++++ cpu :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Court Jester likes this.
  17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

No way that leak is real.

18. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

I hope so, but this is shiny and new, and here now

19. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Pretty interesting.

Basically clears up that you can run any chip you like in just about any am4 board.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  20. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

no it dosnt, it says this board can run that chip at gimped speeds & gimped ram support,
    even goes as far to say ram bsod upon testing & rated speeds

so if you were to replace the word "run" with "limp" id agree
    and if you were to replace "another" with "a tinly select few" id agree again

OJR likes this.