1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Found this article that presents DATA from more than 35 x570 mobo's. I think the summary tables on the last page could be useful for some.Some have been talking about wanting mITX;
    The AMD X570 Motherboard Overview: Over 35+ Motherboards Analyzed[/B]
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14161/the-amd-x570-motherboard-overview

2. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Cool it was posted a couple of pages back :thumbup:

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I think if I were to buy a 3000X CPU, I'd be buying at the very least a 4XX motherboard to go with it (assuming I didn't already have one). Its true that many 3XX boards can run a 3000X CPU, but I doubt you'll get the full experience.

I know I plan to buy a 3700X in September, when the dust settles, the BIOS is sorted, and hopefully the prices drop a little. By then I'll know if there are any obvious Achilles Heels as well, but I have no plans to update my X470 Taichi anytime soon, unless a problem is discovered between now and then.

I think the only thing I'd be missing out on is PCIE4, which at this stage of the game is not something I need. The massive VRM and chipset support which seems to be on every 5XX board is most likely to be there just for the coming 16 core chip, and PCIE4. The 3700X is 65W TDP, which is actually lower than my 2700X so any reasonably good 4XX board should have no trouble coping with the current chips.

That said though, there is nothing to stop people from buying a 3900X now, knowing it *may* not run at its full potential on a 3XX board, and saving up for a better board later. I'd certainly be researching my individual 3XX board to make sure that particular board will actually support the new chips before buying anyway. It would suck to have one and not be able to use it until I could afford a board for it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I went back several pages but didn't readily find it so posted it. It is hard to not double post on a fast paced thread.

Ratzz with the prices for an x570 starting from $258 at Umart you'd be mad not to get one of those. The x470 start at $199 but you lose those extra features.

I still have my 2600K on a Z68 so If I was upgrading I would be paying that bit more to ensure I had the better features because I would again want 6-7 years at least from my system.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah mate but I already own a decent X470 board, which will do everything I need it to do, so the bottom shelf X570 board is actually $258 more, not $59 more, and I don't have any use for the extra features. Maybe sometime in the future, but right now X570 has nothing to offer me which my existing board doesn't already have. Fortunately I am not running Intel these days so I no longer need a new board for a new gen chip.

I do agree that if I didn't have a good AM4 board already, then I would be looking at X570. Mines only a few months old, I'm not selling it at a large loss in any hurry.

Some people who have good X470 boards are selling them to buy X570 though, there are already some bargains showing up. I saw a 2600+X470 Taichi get sold in the last couple days for 300 bucks. That can only go down as time goes on.

A secondhand X470 wouldn't be a bad option as they become more common.

Its a bit depressing to be honest. I wasn't willing to commit on the new chips until rumors became reality, but I needed a new rig (I was bored with the 1700, and my B350 ITX board had some minor issues.. plus I was moving from ITX to ATX - and that combo was only good for c14-3200 ram whereas my current rig is fine with c14-3600), and instead of waiting I played it safe. Now I have an $800 CPU/mobo combo that is worth maybe half that a couple of months later. Que sera sera.

At least my board is still worth keeping. I'll only take a hit on the chip, when I actually buy one.

6. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Errrrrr.....

I gog the exact same motherboard with cosair vengeance 3000mhz memory lol.

(Asrock B350M PRzO4).

WTF are people complaining about expensive x570 motherboards when budget B350s are only a few percent slower.....

7. PureFire

PureFire Member

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Supersize and GoneFishin22 like this.
  9. arasta

arasta Member

lmao :lol:

well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? the glue is a worry, tho. what happens when people want to delid a chip and end up degluing it instead? :| hopefully thats just for the ES testers...

10. chook

chook Member

Anandtech posted this a few months ago about it.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14211/intels-interconnected-future-chipslets-emib-foveros

I think that with Jim Keller going to Intel it was kind of inevitable given he was the guy that designed Zen. Probably also has shares in a super glue company. We should all buy shares in super glue now that both manufacturers are basing their processors on it.

11. dmcdude

dmcdude Member

yup it sure is, just go the 3rd gen RYZEN you won't regret it. I just built my 3700x and its sooooo much better than the 8700K.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I thind think we will be seeing intel glue on the desktop any time soom

how? IM generallycurious how yuo come to this conclusion outside of some limited benchmarks

as I woul bet in a blind test you wouldnt tell the difference in actual usage on those 2 x system

13. Phido

Phido Member

Well I'm on the ryzen hype train.

3700x $469
    32gb 3000 cl14 $220
    Hp ex920 1Tb ssd $210

Just need a mitx mobo now. Trying to keep all this under $1000. Will prob be a touch over that.

So can you adjust Ppt and overclock? Only worried now that ryzen has effectively locked overclocking. 3800x might have been better value in that case.

Reviews are terrible. Really the late bios release stuffed things.

I also see 4xx boards are drawing a good 40-50w less at all times. Asus, msi, asrock have all delayed 570x mitx boards. The are also basically no matx either. Two whole form factors cast into the wind...

The low 7nm power draw is perfect for small form factors where that is a genuine issue. My 4970k with after market cooling is totally limited by the form factor.

So while the 3000 chips are well recived. The mobo launch is a mess.

Plus and killed pci4 on older boards.

B450 and x470 boards have gone up in price. $10 or $20 more plus you need another $10 to get the bios flashed..

So having problems committing to a board that is over priced, stupidly gimped in features it could do, and apparently doesn't allow you to overclock. Not happy.

Why not release a b450 plus range that at least allowed pcie4 on cpu lanes? At least for mitx.. given the complete failure of mitx boards!

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Anyone running a 3700x yet ? All working fine on my B450M Mortar but when I enable PBO in bios and Ryzen Master voltage is at a constant 1.46 idle and 1.4 under load. Temps are fine with around 33 degrees idle and 72 loaded with all cores hitting 4192.

Might just leave it at stock as I notice no difference anyway between the two.

15. shane41

shane41 Member

16. Phido

Phido Member

4790k verse 3700x benches comparison..

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2520?vs=2462

3700x doesn't win every bench, even in games. Single threaded its generally 10% faster.
    Multithreaded its usually twice to three times.

Makes me feel a bit meh about my ryzen build. You would think $1000+ and 5 or 6 years advance in tech would make a compellingly faster setup in all categories.

Urbansprawl and terroristone like this.
  17. shane41

shane41 Member

4790K was a very good processor though. All that's happened of late is more of 5Ghz processors.
    Then I had I very hard time going back with 7700K 8700K in HWbot, I could not beat the older 3D scores done with 4790K & only matched a few.

3700x looks very good price point. $519 :weirdo: I was looking this morning. So we might see prices settle $480 later

dmcdude likes this.
  18. asho444

asho444 Member

It really only lost at 4k, which is gpu limited and is within the margin of error(only 1 fps difference or less anyway)

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

You've just talked me into waiting another gen (4790 here on 1440p) though I bet those are old pre mitigation numbers so a few % more rosy than today

terroristone likes this.
  20. OJR

OJR Member