Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I knew there would be at least one person who would take my statement literally and not be able to read between the lines.

The point is that he took a bottom of the barrel motherboard AB350M that's 2 generations old and was able to run a brand new 12 core CPU which is currently the best mainstream desktop cpu money can buy. Sure he had to run it at stock for it to be stable. But we are talking extreme ends of the spectrum what can we expect?

"Will my *insert older AM4 motherboard be able to handle the new 3000 cpus?" is probably the #1 question outside of general performance people have been asking.

The lesson to be learned here is that people need to stop freaking out about whether or not their older boards can handle the new chips. If you have a decent B350, x370, B450 or x470 then you will have a perfectly good experience. In fact if you go back in this thread there are alot of people scoffing at the very idea of running the 3900x or even the 3700x on anything other than an x570 board.

PS: Bsod? hahahaha mate I love Ryzen. But we've been blue screening since gen1 dropped. Wouldnt be an AMD launch without it.

Also another video.

AlliZ likes this.
  2. onrelas

onrelas Member

Any chance I can borrow(or buy if cheap enough) an old Ryzen chip off anyone here to do a BIOS update? I just found out the current BIOS for my motherboard doesn't have support for the boot kit provided by AMD.

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Dude most of us don't overstretch reaching for the crack pipe while the AMD bios is updating, tripping power leads = bricked board
    #returnrefundnofaultfound

OJR likes this.
  4. shane41

shane41 Member

https://hwbot.org/user/cbjaust/
    https://hwbot.org/user/bilko/
    This guy is very good on AMD & another ... both hard core AMD nuts. That's your first port of call going fast.
    Not that you need help. I remember that comp from before :tongue:

Ask him man. He does good scores & it's too much fucken effort to chase some of them trust me :tired:

Bold Eagle likes this.
  5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lol your the only one here that takes drugs ( and you seem to miss you doses quite often and go off ya meds)

and secondly I would say many people who dont really care much about overclocking would just set the OC to "auto" and leave it at that the fact this -- most likely config to be used kill cpus is so bad you might think that an ex msi employee is running the show at asus now they have gone down hill even the stix boards are jsut large 4 phase vrms now -- on a $500 board cutting costs and corners all over the place.

6. Supersize

Supersize Member

That I can't argue with, the Asus z390 boards were a joke in the VRM department, the Apex was the best board out of the lot, Buildzoid pretty much rated that board one of the best in the z390 series.

Hardware the Asus x570 boards are good, just need some BIOS tweaking.

Oh had a second confirmation of the high voltages on a Crosshair 8 over at overclock.net

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. shane41

shane41 Member

Circular conversations are circular ... and once more members research that method online your fucked up method is revealed. :lol:
    Your fanboi hater base is growing. Suck a bag of dicks :D Bangcock who can know what you ever did there free willy wife birthing

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Don't reward this my man. This is deflecting. He's made comment to gain alignment his side. See a trickster first. He's not smart, just a mean prick. :thumbdn:
    That's only you. Rubbish & no talent.

Fact is you have little or next to nothing to say good about anything or anyone. Members in here actually do overclocking.
    While your in foreign lands dancing on poles with the nice lady boys disco style :D

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Positive message follows. ^ not as above he deserved it.

The most talented overclockers are in this very forum. The best overclockers in the world are from Australia.
    Still here & I watch you guys :) Fuck anyone who stops your journey. It's your effort doing OC that counts

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lol no your wrong again I manually OC everything I buy BUt I would say **Most** users just leave everything on auto we are a subset and a very small one and as I said I do OC everything I buy I just dont wast my time running benchmarks all day long. I also dont make claims about golden "cpus" like you that cant oc worth a dam and when someone asks you to provide your ridiculous claims you cant/wont post a screenshot.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    terroristone likes this.
  11. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

intel must have really bad data leak for your shit to bleed through into this thread :D

OJR and shane41 like this.
  12. shane41

shane41 Member

I'd bet supersize could flog him easy & he's new to Ryzen
    Hilarious ... pulled by the ring in your nose donkey. :lol: Come see me when you " have not " bought a low ball processor

13. me28791

me28791 Member

New motherboard? Might be able to ask your vendor to upgrade bios for you. Or they may do it as you bought the cpu, some do charge though. Sadly you are in sydney or I would be able to help.

Kinda dissapointed won't be able to get my new setup till sunday due to work, umart has to close at 530pm :|.

Oh well more time to play around with a new 3700x and nearly completely new system.

14. bobsled

bobsled Member

One of the best things I've done on OCAU was set Ignore on CJ a few days ago. Reading this thread is so much more enjoyable now as the BS generator can't pollute everything else! Here's a link I recommend to everyone, young and old.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/members/court-jester.1945/ignore

sTeeLzor, OJR and Dilbery like this.
  15. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

cut & paste from AMD on REDDIT:

"I'm not sure what you're asking. Our boost formula is opportunistic based on VRM current, socket power, temperatures. Therefore: light workloads will have a higher boost, and heavier workloads will have a lower boost. This is the basic behavior of Precision Boost 2 we described in November 2017. This is the same boost formula used for all Ryzen 2000 Series CPUs as well: 4.3GHz peak for light threading, to around 4GHz for all-cores. No change year-over-year in how the boost behaves.

If you're asking whether or not all cores will hit the max boost clock: no. It will not do that, nor have we ever promised or implied that. We've been very clear for 1.5 years that the Precision Boost 2 behavior is a "curve" that tries to get the loaded cores to the highest possible frequency with respect to the aforementioned limits. Even with all cores loaded, the CPU can maintain frequencies that are hundreds of MHz higher than base.

The other goal of our engineering effort is to absolutely maximize the performance of the product out of the box. //EDIT: By designing algorithms that extract the maximum silicon performance automatically (e.g. Precision Boost 2) without asking the user to tinker or risk their warranty. So, no, you're not going to see a whole lot of manual OC headroom. That's just performance an average person--who doesn't know how to OC--can't access. Why would we do that? It is not our intent to leave anything on the table.

It's more beneficial to enable PBO, overclock the fabric, overclock the memory. But that's true of Ryzen 2000 Series, too.
    "

----------------------
    has anyone here been able to get past their max boost? mine hits 4.4 with plenty of headroom and wont push past
    it sits @ 4.35 in games, 1.3v, 40c -- however this is in R6, the game uses performance in bursts because rounds go for 3-4 min then returns to menu for char selection, will test it out on a game like civ6 that is constant draw

---------------------

edit here: sorry SSJ4, i didnt see it as a piss take, i thought you were actually giving them credit when not due, amd been getting too many pats on the back for hitting last years "boost performance" this year.

that being said, hopefully they patch in this +200mhz pbo

SSJ4 likes this.
  16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Without a doubt, the best function I have ever used on this site. Did it over a year ago. Do not regret.

dmcdude likes this.
  17. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

Can we just get him banned from anything non intel? Do the forums a service

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah but then you get confused at people firing back without any context seemingly. I actually un-ignored him so the convo made sense.

19. Dienk

Dienk Member

Did you buy it new? Depending on the store they might update it for free to you.

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Mute them too. People shouldn't be taking the bait :p