Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

So... we're to read that as "if you buy a 3.6ghz you get a 3.6ghz" and don't expect to get any more?

2. Perko

Perko Member

I bet it made even less sense after you did that.

3. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I mean. Intel's boost spec isn't all core either? (Correct me if I am wrong).

PBO acts as they've always said it does. And in most people's tests PBO trades blows with a manual all core OC. So why bother? Concentrate on the IF and ram like AMD says.

4. Supersize

Supersize Member

I know CJ gets under a lot of your skins, see I have 5 kids, 3 teenagers and 2 little ones, dealing with nonsensical conversations are on a daily bases for me.
    Just switch off, let them say their piece and move on, they get out what they need to say without constantly repeating themselves, you get to continue on what you want to do, it's a win/win... :lol:

I've been with Intel for years now, I know they just work (besides when 2 x99 Strix motherboards killed 2 6900k's), I'm ready to give AMD another chance as it suits my need now, though I can admit when Intel stuff up unlike some Intel fanboi's.

I'm well aware it's not going to be as straight forward as setting up a new Intel build, but hey I like tinkering so why the hell not.

5. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

You are making it really difficult for me to be outraged and use my vast experience to tell you just how wrong you are. Let me finish my coffee and I will work up a head of steam. /s

Is anyone else annoyed by the artificial constraints board manufacturers are using to differentiate models. I need 3nvme slots, so there is rubbish like the msi ace with 4!!!! Sata slots, or the gigabyte master with 6, but it has usb 2 slots... Seriously? Usb2? Asrock phantom has 3nvme and 8 sata, but then gives you only a few usb. So far the Formula ticks all the boxes for me, but the cost. This is coming from a X399 Rog Zenith Extreme I paid $450 new for.

6. Kyorisu

Kyorisu Member

I'm still playing the waiting game. Probably didn't help I ordered a whole new System. Might have it end of month. Went for the 3900X.

RnR likes this.
  7. Supersize

Supersize Member

Wrong with what part, giving them another chance?

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Hey... bit of an odd question. But what UEFI do AMD boards normally use?

Do they have bios compatibility? Can I boot DOS/9x/xp on them if I want to?

I ask because Intel's dumping bios compatibility next year. This could be the last generation we ever see with full x86 compatibility.

9. chook

chook Member

Will provide alibi.

SomeBoredGuy likes this.
  10. Dienk

Dienk Member

Review - 3700x.

I think that was the worst games results for 3700x I have seen so far.

11. chook

chook Member

Intel have two boots numbers they publish. An all core boost and a single core boost.

SSJ4 likes this.
  12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

No, he's just saying don't expect maximum boost frequency on all cores loaded.

Current opportunistic boost schemes on AMD proc's really blur the lines on what performance you can expect out of the box.. that's a whole other discussion , and a bit of a can of worms

13. onrelas

onrelas Member

Cheers guys. Yeah purchased new, and so far the responses I’ve had were “no we can’t do this in store so it’ll take 5 business days and cost $20”, and the other was a straight out no.

Bit frustrating. I thought I was organised with the AMD supplied boot kit. Obviously things rarely work out that easy.

Still hoping someone in Sydney can lend or sell a CPU to me for cheap to get this damn BIOS updated soon.

14. Dienk

Dienk Member

May I please know which store it was purchased?

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Pretty much this, there appears to be enough teething issues for me to hold off, e.g. Destiny 2 not working, Android emulators not working, nothing that bothers me massively but if/when I'm troubleshooting the last thing I want to isolate is "is it possibly the CPU/BIOS". Prices will come down anyway or there will be sales or I can grab something second hand here that is pre-flashed with correct BIOS lol

16. onrelas

onrelas Member

Skycomp, they said they don’t have the facilities to do it on the spot and said it’d take 5 days.

17. shane41

shane41 Member

I hear ya. Motherboards are so bloody expensive now the half decent ones anyway. All the different layouts, designs & features. These manufacturers are steering your $$$ to buy their product. :)
    Nothing wrong with that & AMD deserves your money making nice processors lately :thumbup:

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

"Here's my receipt. I'd like a refund. It doesn't work."

19. Muddy Funster

Muddy Funster Member

/s for sarcasm. I have our favourite commentator on ignore, so I was just channelling him for a sec.

20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

As a FYI UMart and MSY both will update the bios if you purchase the board with the cpu together

Umart is usually a business day
    MSY have generally done it within an hour