Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. coolroy

coolroy Member

Your doing it again 7700K 4 core 8 threads your just digging a deeper hole.:rolleyes:
    And I clearly stated earlier that my pc is mostly used for fps gaming & web browsing.
    Plus I am playing at 3440 by 1440 so my cpu is highly unlikely to get to 100% usage & need more than 4 Cores!

I know my pc hardware I have been around assembling & modifying them since pre IBM XT days.
    In fact I even managed to extract the bios out of the C64 & customise its boots screens etc just days after its launch. (not sure i should have owned up to that):leet:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Phido A couple things;

Would this ITX B450 board in stock do you OK? Or this one? Or even this one?

I'm unsure why you said you'd need to wait a month for ITX boards, unless they all came back in stock just now suddenly? Which would be pretty normal given the extremely high demand for both the 3rd and discounted 2nd gen Ryzen chips. Those boards have also barely changed in price since release. Pricing history on the ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte. Going back to March they have sat around +/- $10 of what they cost now depending on the board and retailer. Chill out my dude.

AMD have their boot kit program, you could borrow an older chip from a friend or ask a friendly local OCAU member, or just cough up the money for the BIOS update. You can't expect every old B450 board in stock to suddenly support the new chips. They will sell what they have before they start stocking pre-updated boards.
    Most every decent retailer I have seen mentions you might need a BIOS update when buying one of the new CPUs. This wasn't hidden information. AMD probably could have handled it all a bit better in some ways but overall most of the issues you have are up to the retailers and motherboard manufacturers.

Better yet, engage a major site sponsor such as Scorptec like I did and you might even get it a BIOS update for free. Not sure if they would be as keen to help if you are only buying the board but you can at least try, perhaps trying some different options would make more progress than complaining about it in a forum.

More models of ITX X570 boards will come soon. Again this is nothing new - the X370 ITX boards took months to be released after the bigger boards. At least you have one decent ITX X570 board straight off the bat. The board manufacturers have not forgotten about you (like they often do with enthusiast grade AM4 mATX boards). But clearly the ITX market is not as big as you would presume, otherwise they'd be far more keen to get boards out straight away.

ITX can be harder for them to get right on release as there is such a small amount of PCB space to play with and they really want to make sure the board competes well in that niche - they often don't release more than one ITX board for the chipset so it needs to do it all and it's important to do it well or it won't compete with the other brands.

The fact we can even use these new chips at all with older boards, considering such significant changes and performance increases to the CPU, is a breath of fresh air when compared to the one-and-a-half generation sockets we've been buying from Intel for over 10 years. Yes the i7 first came out in 2008 and it's been a new socket every reasonable generational improvement ever since. The price to pay for the backwards compatibility with AM4 is that there are going to be required firmware updates, and things like stock, BIOS updates, and pre-flashed boards will take a little while to settle down directly after launch. A fair price in my eyes, especially if I can get an even newer/better CPU in the same damn board next year too!

miicah and BiggusDickus like this.
  3. RnR

RnR Member

Thanks to Sgt Bilko in another thread ... on watercooling bits for the Ryzen and its boards...

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...fficial-heatkiller-club-379.html#post28037518

Link to the survey - http://surveys.watercool.de/519576

:thumbup:

4. Xeonae

Xeonae Member

Maybe he is taking into account Intel's pristine security with ZombieLoad? :p

coolroy likes this.
  5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If no PCIE4, what exactly is B550 supposed to bring to the table?

6. RnR

RnR Member

I thought it had pcie4 to one pcie slot? But not to storage devices, so shouldn't need chipset fan.

7. Phido

Phido Member

Short comings of the MSI B450i
    • No 10Gbps USB at all. Only 2 x 5Gbps
    • Only one M2 slot
    • Realtek 887 audio only
    • 433Mbps wifi only
    • Realtek lan
    • Flashing the bios for ryzen 3000 I think removed the RAID functionally and some other bios functions.
    It was one of the first Mitx boards on the market, and sits at a more entry level end.

Asus Strix B450 I has as some of its main features:
    • 2 x 10Gbp USB and 4 x 5 Gbps
    • Two NVME M2 slots - Killer feature for 4 series Mitx boards.
    • 1733 Mbps 802.11ac MIMO 2T2R
    • Intel Lan 211
    • SupremeFX S1220 audio,driven by the realtek 1220 plus additional, which is significantly better by all accounts. Same setup as on the Hero.
    • Large BIOS chip (most b450 used smaller bios chips so have to delete functions to allow Zen2 support).
    It has very similar features to the proposed x570 Strix-I..

The MSI Isn't a bad board, and is certainly attractively priced. But they aren't the same. Two M2 slots is a killer feature. More USB and much faster Wifi are also significant particularly in a mitx format where you are limited how much internal stuff you can stick in there and what you have with the board is all you will ever have. I kind of have my heart set on it. Going MSI or GB would mean I would have to significantly reduced features. In the MITX space, the boards are very different with very different features. Its not like there are 30 boards to choose from, each manufacturer basically has one board each, not everyone carries them, usually stock levels are extremely low, etc.

PCCG advised they wouldn't have any until at the earliest midway next month. That when their supplier is hopeful they can get some. They have now removed that date from there website (?). I am not having much luck ordering one because if I can order one for postage online, they generally won't update the BIOS. Or they don't have them in stock (UMart + others). Or they will charge me $30+ for a bios flash only notified after checkout, on top of an already pricey $220, plus another $20+ for shipping, plus additional for a CC card order, working about $280+.. I also checked out DComp, and they were going to hit me up for a similar price (starting at $239 + many charges) getting pretty close to $300 if I actually purchased said board.

I used to buy my stuff from ARC as there is one right near my work, but they are have shut down. So there isn't a wealth of walk in shops to buy from. Which is my point and what others have experienced. Most online shops won't actually flash your bios as it ships directly from "their" warehouse. Which is why perhaps the BIOS flashing is quite expensive, they tend to ship it from a warehouse to their shop and then from their shop to you.

Basically I am finding the whole experience frustrating. If you go to 5 places and try to buy, and all fail, that is frustrating. I have placed multiple orders, but companies basically can't supply me with a working board, of which I am informed via email, after I have ordered the board. Few companies are open about their BIOS flashing policy or how much it is. No one lists or advertises any b450 or x470 board as working with Ryzen 3000 out of the box.

The PCCG has risen in price as I was watching it closely. They went <$200, to $209 and now $219. I had kind of figured, maybe they just added some $'s to cover the cost of flashing the board. Nope, thats another $10, surprise. But you try to wrangle that on a delivery and things get harder. They aren't the only ones either. Now they have sold out.

So I guess, take the day off work, try to hit MSY and Scorptec up in person and see if I can walk out with a B450 Strix I. Seems a bit absurd that flashing a BIOS is so difficult for any reseller to arrange. Why not just pay a someone to flash all your boards before the Ryzen launch when business is quiet, probably wouldn't cost a cent? Surely it would be quicker, cheaper and better. Then openly advertise all of your B450 and X470 boards support Ryzen 3000.

Why not just ship all motherboards with no BIOS's and just charge people after they purchase them if they wanted a BIOS with that?

Or just email customers and slug them with a secret undisclosed ~20%+ fee, after they order for wanting a board to work with the processor they just bought from you.

This seems much less of an issue in the ATX space. *shrug*. I guess stores tend to carry them in stock in stores.

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

does not compute ROFL

Zenskas likes this.
  9. Phido

Phido Member

Staff are employed 9-5. Just get staff to update stock in the weeks leading up to the launch after the bios is out. I re-wrote that part, obviously poorly.

Ford updates ECU's before they sell cars to the customers. They won't sell you a car that doesn't work because they haven't updated the ecu.

10. terroristone

terroristone Member

If they did im sure there will be many people crying about the box being opened....Can't please no matter what you do. Its upto board vendors to get bios's upto date and work out a roll out plan, a week after release dont be bitching and wait, otherwise buy a x570. If AMD reps etc look at these forums im sure they wouldn't be back as its mostly nonsense. Bitching, crying and general shit talking adds nothing of value, this thread should be moved to the pub.

T1

chook, dukkie and Zenskas like this.
  11. Phido

Phido Member

Sorry, which MITX x570 board did you buy?

Arhh well, guess we should just delete users who are posting threads in this section looking for AM4 cpu's to borrow so they can flash their boards they purchased without realising they won't boot.

terroristone likes this.
  12. terroristone

terroristone Member

As im sure your aware they are coming so wait or dont bitch. Do your research like most do here so we know what we are actually getting not cry when it dosnt work. Knowing what i know at launch i would have asked the retailer for advise and also asked if it dosnt work would they flash the bios for me....is it really that hard?? guess not, its easier to have a cry and stamp your feel like all millennial's do.

13. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

14. Phido

Phido Member

Cry when it doesn't work, what the fuck are you talking about.. Do you understand the issue?

Wait? WAIT FOR BOARDS THAT ALREADY EXIST IN RETAIL? I CAN'T BUY THE BOARDS THAT ARE LISTED ON THE WEBSITES WITH THE REQUIRED BIOS. Online retailers are not flashing the boards, as AMD assumed they would. Those that do tend to sell out/have no stock. You don't know most of the time who is going to flash the boards or what they will charge you until after you have entered your credit card details and and then you get and email trying to extort money out of you or flat out they won't do it, cancel the order and will try to sell it to some other smuck. You can't compare prices, retailers that seem to indicate they will, won't actually..

Its not like I bought the mobo and it doesn't work. I can't buy the mobo online with the required BIOS that already exists.

Cause I work for a living, I can't just walk around town buying items in person and asking the store clerk to flash me a bios while I wait aimlessly. None are located near me anyway (40+km). I don't even get much phone time during work hours. People keep pointing me to places that won't sell it online and are located in another state, or have no stock.

WTF? Which century are you from? I am probably old enough to be your father. Say hi to your mum..

Lets name some I've tried...
    PCCG, UMart, DComp, MWave, Itech, MSY, Newegg au, PLE......

And during this I also discovered some of the retailers I used back in the day like ARC and Itestate no longer exist, PCDIY I think is now only in Vic etc. I only live in this tiny city with 5 million people in a state with 8 million people.

15. Xeonae

Xeonae Member

OverWhingers AU. If it doesn't suit your needs, you can't change that. Go elsewhere, e.g Intel.

16. terroristone

terroristone Member

So the self proclaimed “one” still carries on just like a child, grow up boy, I am old enough to be your father. All I here is crying, instead of being an adult and reaching out for help, I work also, run my own business so I understand the lack of time, yet I make time, and happy to help out forum members to goto a store for them which are actually very close to me but for you?? No chance keep acting like the child you are, you can go back to sucking on your mums tits once I’m done with her. At least CJ is funny and I’d help him, your just a spoiled little child no matter what year you were born

Metora and Court Jester like this.
  17. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Exactly, not like there's only one CPU maker.

terroristone likes this.
  18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

..and whirlpool

Court Jester, Xeonae and terroristone like this.
  19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Just finished building my Msi B450 Carbon 3900X build. Booted up first time and insralled windows before I had to run out. A few nerve racking moments but pretty happy about that.

Looking forward to tinkering tomorrow.

20. Phido

Phido Member

So return the CPU I bought because AMD can't figure out its platform? Because it can't get its OEMs and retailers to work together to deliver for the customer. Your probably right.
    Who's going to help out this guy?
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/please-close.1268199/#post-18263505
    Bought his mobo from PCCG and now its stuffed. Again highlight the risk of not getting something big and awkward like a mobo from someone local. But also the lack of awareness of this. Its an easy thing to miss.

Who helped out here?
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/borrow-amd-cpu.1242099/
    No one. How many users with bricked systems are you going to attack?

Why the hell does AMD new CPU need a whole new BIOS just to boot anyway? I've flashed 386 bios into 486 boards and vice versa, no worries. There are Intel boards that will boot multi generations of CPU's again Intels statements. Surely you can make an X86 bios boot the follow on processor the the one you made last year? Boot enough you can flash a new one in? You can run DOS 3 and play Duke Nukem on a ryzen setup FFS. Isn't one of the advantages of x86 is backwards compatibility?