Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Maldark

Maldark Member

Yeah I was pretty disappointed in the 3800x, the 3600x is a little beast though. Surely the midrange god of chips atm.

2. Phido

Phido Member

Curious to see if the 3950x with the same power as the 3900x is significantly faster. Obviously not much difference in single thread, but will it be limiting in multithreading..

If you have the money to grab a 3800x, why not find that bit more and jump to 3900x and see the productivity gains and the very slight boost in gaming.

The 3600x is a great little CPU, in multi thread it challenges 1800x and 2700's, in single thread it right up the top of the pack. Probably the ideal gaming CPU for most people. Money saved can be put into video, or other system aspects.

Great review by guru3d, they also include a lot of legacy scores, including the 4790k...

3. Rhimes

Rhimes Member

hvalac likes this.
  4. PureFire

PureFire Member

A number of people in this thread have asked why do you need more cores if you aren't a professional, well here's an example of what a hobbyist like myself does with more cores.

While I only have 8/16 in this PC I have about 50 hours of work on this car alone, proper renders take 45 minutes each and a 10 second animation took 20 hours to complete, so I really want to at least double the cores for my next build with either a 3950X or wait till the Threadripper comes out.

This is my own concept design of a 2 door Mazda RX-8 that I built earlier this year and just this week imported into GTAIV to have fun blasting around in.

5. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

SO I went into BIOS and manually typed in AUTO for the voltages and it seems to have stuck now.. CPUZ is now reporting idle voltages around the 0.96 at idle...when gaming (according to Ryzen Master) it jumps up to over 1.4v and mhz goes up to 4200mhz (in Gaming mode).

In heavy gaming temps are in the high 60's to mid 70's... should I go with better cooling and if so what would be a suitable (not too expensive) cooler?

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

What case do you have? Those temps seem fine for gaming IMHO.

7. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

8. Supersize

Supersize Member

Holy shit VM's are quick on the 3900x, even with 1 CPU...

9. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Ok i have fixed all my Ryzen R7 3700X issues. and now my 32GB's (4x8) of Gskill 3000Mhz trident RGB Ram works fine.

I now idle at 0.6v and it boosts to 1.45 when required for single core 1.3v for multi core
    I followed the instructions from the below video.. it was awesome

Step one.. go back to the manufacture website and Download latest bios if you don't have it already
    Step two.. go into bios and reset everything to system default.. (you need to leave vcore on auto in bios)
    Step three.. Change Ram XMP settings to profile 1 or 2 .. change nothing else..
    Step three.. load into windows and set Power Options to - AMD Ryzen Balanced

Now close all programs that are running in the background or that autostart..

With CPU-Z u should be sitting at 0.6 - to 1.2v :) everyone with a new 3000 series CPU should do this.
    Watch the video in full below its so good.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  10. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

any difference to the speeds?

11. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

none at all because this is idle vcore.. (doing nothing on PC) .. once you start doing stuff you will see the vcore go up as required :) its all Auto managed by the CPU

12. RnR

RnR Member

Should only be used with Ryzen 3000 processors. Earlier ones should not used this plan.

13. Phido

Phido Member

Biostar says pci4 is go on b450 andx470.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

But that means you would have to have bought a biostar board.......... Ewwwwwwwwww

And on a second thought does anyone else find it funny that amd gives us an over clock able unlocked processor that can't really overclock ahh the irony

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  15. Supersize

Supersize Member

Kinda like Intel, using shit paste that cooks the CPU when overclocked, which leads to lower or no overclock... :lol:

coolroy likes this.
  16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

plenty of people getting 5ghz or more with the stock paste( I was one of them)

17. Supersize

Supersize Member

I was being facetious, I know what Intel can do, but a lot couldn't do it on stock paste, shit I've seen people delid the 9900k.
    Either way there's plenty of people getting 4.4Ghz on all cores with a 3900x. :thumbup:

coolroy likes this.
  18. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Both intel and AMD leave little headroom for overclocking these days...

Intels next CPU's 14nm+++ refreshed lineup will have ZERO overclocking headroom with the top 8 core chip coming in at 5.1, 5.2Ghz to complete with AMD's R9 3950X at 4.7Ghz :) that's all they can do to complete until the end of 2021 when 10 nm comes out but those chips will be lucky to get 4Ghz llet along 5 .. regression is clocks is what we should come to expect going forward

But we will get more cache and cores.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Im 1000% certain that that 3950X will never hit 4.7GHz based on current overclocking.

20. Supersize

Supersize Member

Yeah it will, just don't blink or you'll miss it :lol:

arasta and coolroy like this.