Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. steelbom

steelbom Member

Yeah I'm going to try the X pattern when I remount, I'll try heating it up and twisting :O
    But yeah pea sized blob doesn't work the best anymore.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

X is what I did, idle temp seems a bit warm but load temps are acceptable. Could also be the junk paste I used though

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Every AMD CPU I've ever owned can just pull a chip straight out of the socket with its heatsink. Twist the HSF to break the suction before removal or it will happen every time. Doing it while warm is also helpful.

2_stroke likes this.
  4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yes

5. steelbom

steelbom Member

How far do you twist it? Do it left and then right or all around in one direction?

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Either or both directions, until you feel it break its grip. Doesn't usually take a lot. A good way of testing is to see if you can slide it sideways. I like to just slide it sideways, after a circular twist, while leaning on one side, you can feel it break away on the other side.

How you do it is not really relevant, all you are trying to do is break the suction. When you have 1000 plus pins, the stress is spread among them all, it would be hard to actually damage them. Even if you pull it straight out, you are more likely to damage the socket than the CPU pins.

Most times, even if it does pull the CPU out of the socket, no damage will be done. Just make sure you don't bump the outer pins if it pops out unexpectedly, that's the biggest risk. PGA pins are very easily straightened anyway, provided you don't actually snap one, so much easier than the LGA pins Intel (and Threadripper) use.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

In the past 2 days I've put in and removed 12 different CPUs (messing around with an OC comp) and not once did I pull the CPU out with the cooler ;)

As others have said, gotta give it a lateral twist to break the seal and never pull directly up.

The way I personally do it is to twist anti clockwise then clockwise a bit to loosen it first then I tilt the cooler/waterblock over a little so pressure is still being placed on part of the IHS.

^ 100000% this

8. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

One Direction..... tee hee!

9. power

power Member

IN one direction, teeheehee.

10. steelbom

steelbom Member

Hahahahah thanks guys. Fingers crossed!

11. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

I've always wondered why amd never went for LGA and stuck to PGA, is it a intel pattern or is it they dont want MB's getting bent pins?

edit well they do use it on threadripper hmm

They are much more fragile. But the reason AMD uses pins on the CPU is because it makes motherboards cheaper. Pins on the cpu are also easier to straighten out if bent. Motherboard you got next to no chance.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Intel LGA sockets lose memory channels and have issues if you look at them sideways. At least for TR4 AMD engineered and decent solution.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  13. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

14. OJR

OJR Member

So still can't hit boost clocks you have paid for huh? What a fucken mess. You would think AMD would have their shit together after the third attempt at it.

Hotrod2go and sTeeLzor like this.
  15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Really they should change their labeling to be more realistic. I wonder if they're doing it so the mhz deficit doesn't look as bad to the ding dongs who think frequency is the only metric performance is measured on

I'm personally not upset about it, I never expected to get 4.6 all core out of the box

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

it varies across the board, interested to see how they market the 16c now

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Just Reddit outrage.

Only someone completely clueless would assume the maxmium boost frequency = all core.

18. steelbom

steelbom Member

Tbh I think it's perfectly fine to advertise 4.4GHz even if your product only reaches 4.375GHz. It's 25MHz, I'm not even mad. The 3700X I bought performs really well (which is what I wanted) and has been a great upgrade.

19. power

power Member

One of the reasons Intel shifted to LGA was thermals and power distribution. It was re-introduced for Pentium D while Intel was seeking a way to cool the Prescott.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. OJR

OJR Member

No! It’s not even one core hitting peak boost.