1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

I'm hoping the new chips will work on my strix x470-i, that said i'm already running a 2700x so not sure what kind of gains I would get as i'm only playing games like football manager, universe sandbox 2 and sims lol

2. Phido

Phido Member

I assume all the 8 cores and under will have a stealth or spire cooler.

IMO 12 cores is probably a bit of a sweet spot. I hope it comes with the full wraith prism cooler too.

6 on each die, will likely help with max boost cooling. While going to 16 cores will put you right up when maxed on the thermal ceiling so is likely to be tight for ITX or even just stock coolers, 12 will still be pretty cool even lightly Oc'd. 12 Cores is still going to be a 50% increase over 8.. 16 is only 33% more than 12. So is it really worth the power/cost etc?

Price goes up pretty steep to 16 cores as well. Not intel crazy, but value for most people would be 8-12 core.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if these rumored clock & boost speeds and the IPC bump are true, then AMD are going to sell a lot of silicon in Q219 ....
    i almost feel sorry for intel :lol:

4. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

yeah I agree SSJ4. really all they need to do is get an 8 core within distance of the 9900k and they've hit a home run

another "leak"

16 cores @ 3.9 to 4.7

The cache has almost doubled from 20 to 38, what will that have an impact on?

[​IMG]

joerandom likes this.
  5. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    adamsleath likes this.
  6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

source?

7. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

the big pic above, its in Turkish so i translated,
    here is a fresh article with a Vietnamese shop posting the same information as the Turkish one (both within article)

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...0xryzen-5-3600x-spotted-in-online-stores.html

Ryzen 9 3800X is being listed with 32 threads, so that is a 16-core processor with a 3.9 GHz base and up to 4.7 GHz Turbo. At 16 cores a 125 Watt would not suck TBH. The Turkish etailer then is listing an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X at 12 cores, 24 threads with a 4.2 GHz base and 5.0 GHz Boost clocks. The same Turkish website also is listing a Ryzen 5 3600X with 8 cores at a base clock of 4.0 GHz base and 4.8 Boost clock.

Now here's where the grain of salt the size of an iceberg comes into play, these specs 100% match an earlier leak from AdoredTV, read more on that here. At the time of writing such detail where too early to be correct

8. asho444

asho444 Member

If all of that is true, that is just impressive, double the cores of the i9 9900k with better IPC, better clocks and probably better power consumption.

Intel really need that next node asap if it is real

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

TY.

Yeah the box art looks bogus (I highly doubt they'll carry over identical box designs to 3 series) , so probably them having a bit of fun.

11. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

We saw these sort of things for Bulldozer as well. Its all rubbish till final retail silicon by independent reviewiers is out.

12. asho444

asho444 Member

Except bulldozer was a brand new arch and concept.
    Zen is tried and true

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

true, but how much IPC uplift on avg, and frequencies are still rather speculative..

We have little detail on uArch changes to get a good estimate of IPC from (outside of a big boost to AVX2), and top frequencies on this node are also an unknown and subject to whether AMD have made any attempts to increase the Fmax of the core independent of process.

14. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Exactly how often has Intel pulled out double digit IPC improvements in the last 5 years?
    So yeah. Until its retail reviewed on a product that has at least been seen instead of just hidden rumours everywhere, its all rubbish.

PersianImmortal likes this.
  15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

will we see some reviews around computex? or a little later? i don't remember what they usually do. July i spose.

16. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I think B350 is a potential no, but B450 is not, from what I've read.

I am considering the scuttlebutt to be somewhat optimistic so far, especially the 5GHz rumours, but if it will go to 4.7 and support ram at 4000, I'll be selling my 2700X and buying a 16 core for sure.

18. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Yes, it's getting a little scary in this thread. People already writing sympathy cards and predicting long-range plans for Intel to "recover" from the massive blow that a chip, which hasn't even been released, is almost certainly going to do - based entirely on rumours.

19. OJR

OJR Member

I was wondering how long it would take the Intel fanboys to find this thread.

You’ve had a good run guys. From here on in, it’ll be prince of persia here telling you how his mid range CPU is better than anything on the planet.

RnR and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Phido

Phido Member

Ryzen 3000 won't kill intel. Intel has enough momentum and industry power to survive a single generation blip. Intel doesn't have terrible products generally, they just charge crazy high prices.
    The 9900k isn't a bad CPU, just too expensive. At $400 it would be killer. At $900 its just massively over priced.

As excited as I am for more cores, most people don't use that many. For most people the huge 12 and 16 core processors just aren't relevant if all you do is facebook and game.