Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. na1lbomb

na1lbomb Member

Yar, good choice, I see that is listed as AMD x570 compatible on the Corsair web site.

2. Bush Elephant

Bush Elephant Member

I picked up my 3900X on Saturday from the Sydney store (last item i needed). Confirmed with staff they only received 3 of the latest batch. I was #2 on the waiting list (ordered/paid 18th July), apparently #4 on the list was less than pleased lol.

They said they have no idea when they will get more.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Waiting till my setup is 100% complete then i will reward myself my slowly peeling off the film on the tempered glass :leet:

335 GT, GoneFishin22 and mesaoz like this.
  3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

'AMD compatible' doesn't necessarily ensure AMD ideal. 'Compatible' means they will run at JEDEC standards. XMP is by definition 'extreme memory profile'.. ie. overclocked settings. Although XMP is really an Intel thing, it can usually be conflated as applicable to AMD as well.

You'd be better sticking with memory chips known to be AMD friendly such as Micron E-Dies or Samsung B-Dies. Being on a QVL doesn't guarantee you'll be able to run them at XMP.

Crucial memory will all be Micron chips, Micron being the parent company of Crucial, but not necessarily E-dies. Any of the Crucial sticks with AES in the model number will have E-dies, notably the Ballistix Sport LT series. Ballistix AES have the advantage of being cheap, but don't have any real high clocked SKU's. That's not really a dealbreaker with the 'sweet spot' of Zen2 ostensibly being c16 3600. Many AES 3200 sticks will overclock to 3600, at least in 8GB form.

I haven't tried 16GB sticks, but I have 4 dimms on my X470 Taichi which are occupied by c16-3200, and I have those running at c16-3600 with no issue. Those sticks are for sale incidentally, but I gather you are looking for 16GB sticks?

I've decided to stick with my HyperX Samsung B-dies, which are c19-4000 XMP but run c14-3600 no problem at all. Of course there is a huge price premium for doing that, especially given the exceptional price value of the Micron stuff.

Many but not all G-Skill memory have Samsung B-dies, but given that Samsung is discontinuing B-die that's likely to change pretty soon. I'm not sure which chips the Neo series are using, but those are claimed to be good for Ryzen. Possibly Micron E-die? I think Neo is probably going to be the value choice for awhile when it comes to Ryzen.

Corsair LPX are known NOT to be good with Ryzen. Mind you, all of this info is more relevant to earlier SKU's of Ryzen - as ZEN develops the compatibility issue is becoming less important. Corsair Vengeance, I'm not real sure about for any form of ZEN... I've just avoided Corsair after I couldn't even get LPX XMP 2666 to run even on 2x8 on a 1700..

There is also a difference between running 2 dimms vs 4 dimms. Any ram is more likely to behave on 2 dimms vs 4.. particularly depending on the dimm topology. Daisy chained dimms are less likely to behave well vs T-topology. Of course this is irrelevant when it comes to ITX boards with the 2 dimms they are (almost) all limited to.

ITX boards are the best at running any kind of ram, due to shorter electrical paths in virtually every respect because of the smaller board.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    335 GT and Kelvin like this.
  4. dahurldog

dahurldog Member

Hi guys,
    I installed my Ryzen 3900x on the weekend and I am having a few issues with temperature management. I have a Kraken x31 and I am having pretty good idle temperatures - 35 degrees but under 100% stress it is going > 94 degrees.
    The Kraken x31 only has 1x 120mm fan and I am just wondering if just isn't powerful enough for the CPU under load?
    Swap back to the stock air cooler?
    Upgrade water cooling?

I also have a 5700XT so if I could water cool both that would be good, but at the moment I am pretty happy with GPU temps and noise.

the_antipop likes this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Mine is like the opposite, it idles really warm but under load it stays pretty controlled.

Sounds like your auto voltage might be going way too high, try a negative 0.8v offset

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

A single 120mm AIO isn't enough for a 3900X at full hog, I wouldn't think. You'd need a 240, 280, 360, or a good Air cooler.

The X31 is five years old, also.

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

120mm aio should be good for up to 150w

I think the one that came on the r9 cards was a 120mm rated at 300w even

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Perhaps, but in that case, there's an issue with the AIO in question. Reviews have the 3900X at full Prime95 load on an EK AIO (assuming 360mm or 280mm) at ~70 degs.

darkbastard and mesaoz like this.
  9. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

This would mimic my experience on a Corsair 150i. Idle ems are around 35-40c with load temps in the mid to high 70’s. I do suspect I need to remount and us a better paste though.

Edit: I also have a 3900x

10. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I have these sticks: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cr...x-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-udimm-memory-grey-ac25548

And have so far achived;

Click to view full size!

Not bad for $270 for 32GB.

I had the same results on my X470 Taichi and X570M Pro4, it will go higher but not stable. I'm thinking fabric + dual-rank on T-topology?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    na1lbomb, the_pessimist and AlliZ like this.
  11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Damn that's tempting for 32Gb 'known good' speed/timings

12. Bush Elephant

Bush Elephant Member

I built my 3900X system on the weekend with a Kraken X62 (280mm rad) and H510 elite case.

My idle temps are confusing, reported different in every program I look at, Ryzen Master, AIDA64, CAM etc.

Idle I see anywhere from 38 to 48 degrees and the only test I have run so far is precision boost stress test where I saw it max out at only 60 degrees.

Will run some better stress tests tonight and see what it looks like. Not happy with my idle temps tbh.

13. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Don't worry about idle temps; at idle the cores turn off and just readout the last temperature before turning off.
    General comment:
    Honestly all this worry about temperatures is bunk - if it's not crashing or throttling under load and the performance is there then there's nothing to be concerned about.

14. Bush Elephant

Bush Elephant Member

Good to hear. I think my biggest gripe is that due to the high idle temp readouts the silent profile on my Kraken cooler is constantly bumping the fan speeds up and down and causing a lot of unnecessary noise. I tried tweaking it but no luck, very fiddly.

NZXT cam still cannot properly read latest gen Ryzen temps properly, which they have acknowledged and are working on :thumbup:

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

AMD temps afaik are a bit different than intel and nvidia, AMD reports the temp of the hottest part of the die rather than just measuring the "edge temp"

Can you control the fans through bios instead?

16. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

This is what I have done and set a windup/down time of 12 seconds

17. Bush Elephant

Bush Elephant Member

I haven't looked too much into the Asus fan options in the bios, will do tonight.

Still trying to familiarise myself with the latest AMD Asus bios, having just come from an Intel 4770k on a hero also, things have changed a fair bit.

Took me a bit to figure out that DOCP is actually XMP lol.

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

In my last asus bios you set fan controls under "monitoring" - and it was in the same area on my current MSI board

19. Daveros

Daveros Member

My 3900X finally arrived from PCCG today. Has a manufacture date of the 30th week of 2019. No wonder everyone is having stock issues...

335 GT and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

How do you tell the manufacture date?