1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. the_pessimist

the_pessimist Member

well mines hitting 100 on the stock cooling with 1800fclk, use to top out at 75 @1600fclk. this is just playing PUBG. dont even want to think about prime (which was toping out at 75 previously). Im calling it, CPU's a dud.

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Seems to 'work' but I"m getting no better boosts unlike most BUT like most, I've lost the ability to sleep. Way to Go MSI! :/

Not sleeping as a desktop its not as bad as a laptop but irritating, will see if it pisses me off enough to rollback and have to redo all my fan curves again (stupidly overwrote my old BIOS settings before remembering to check standby... gah first world problems).

It was all working fine before, you'd think that the 'don't touch it' principle would apply but hey gotta chase that potential 2% extra boost Mhz.... lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. danyell

danyell Member

I seriously thought you'd lost sleep over not getting better boost speeds. I was worried for you.

I'll take that bit of "don't touch it" advice. I'm still on release BIOS for the Tomahawk MAX. PC is running wonderfully. I'm not gonna fuck with it!

sleeeep.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Can someone review and advise if I am reading this correctly please.
    Manufacturer : Crucial Technology
    Series : Ballistix Sport LT Gray
    Die Density / Count : 8 Gb E-die (Z11B / 19 nm) / 1 die
    Organization : 2048M x64 (2 ranks)

That is the info I pop into the DRAM Calc.

I have done a quick and dirty run pre-review of DRAM Calc and what to actually do and just set the RAM to 3200 in BIOS leaving everything else on AUTO and via HWiNFO64 it can be noted my auto timings are defaulting to;
    22-22-22-52 tRC74 tRFC560 a quick review in the BIOS and the vDIMM seemed to be 1.35v.

After putting my above info into DRAM Calc. for 3600
    16-16-16-36 tRC58, etc, etc. as long as I adjust all the other setting to match SoC, etc., etc.
    DRAM Calc 3600 21.09.19.jpg

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

laptop
    LOL no I meant standby.
    Then I realised that I also had the cold boot problem (have to reset once upon cold boot). So total shitshow, rolled back to v310 which was at least 99.99% stable (well I had a bluescreen once but that could just as well have been drivers or Win10 etc., lets just say I made it through Control without a single BSOD or CTD so yeah that's pretty stable)

** spooky ** for some hilarious reason upon upgrading to 330 and downgrading back to 310 I've almost fixed the slow boot issue - was taking ~28 seconds to get into windows (according to task manager), now its ~20 seconds lol

6. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Those calc timings should be fine, just make sure you set you set your tRCDRD to 19, I doubt it would even post at 16.

M1ck1 and GoneFishin22 like this.
  7. OJR

OJR Member

That's fine, I have a lowly 3700X to tide me over till then.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...ch-coming-in-november-with-threadripper-3000/

Looks like November now...

I was in bed covered in Vaseline waiting for her all night. All I got was my wife screaming at me to change the sheets. :(

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    GoneFishin22 likes this.
  8. chook

chook Member

Yes, seems to be confirmed by Anandtech as well.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14895/amd-next-gen-threadripper-and-ryzen-9-3950x-coming-november

Anandtech don't think it will be because of the TSMC announcement as, in theory, the parts would have been ordered long ago.
    You have been cheating on Lisa with your wife? Uncle Jensen and his boys might be paying you a visit soon.

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

OJR likes this.
  10. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

from AMD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OJR

OJR Member

Lisa have mercy!

12. Bertross

Bertross Member

It would be also to do with TR release too. They can't even keep up with the sales on the 3900x, no competition from intel so no real rush on the 16 cores.

13. Will S

Will S Member

i think the initial demand especially of the 3900x took AMD by surprise and they are focused on getting these out

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

More likely the server segment is the one thats taking all the good chiplets.
    Once TSMC catch up with demand we might see prices relax and a little bit more favourable binning for the overclockers

15. OJR

OJR Member

Wow, you guys are so perceptive! Thanks for basically repeating exactly what the articles say. *facepalm*

EDIT: not you MUTMAN, Gerry and Will. :lol:

16. Bertross

Bertross Member

I never read it lol

17. Will S

Will S Member

maybe make that faceplam a good faceslap because you definitely are in need of one

I didnt read the article but saw part of a youtube from Pauls Hardware

Bertross likes this.
  18. OJR

OJR Member

Neither did Will. :lol:

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

In the know

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

with core performance boost disabled the cpu doesn't go past 65c under full load (also doesn't go past 3.8ghz)... So yeah I think however this shit is controlling the boost is going absolutely stupid with the power control and causing bulk heat for no reason.