1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Will S

Will S Member

well a lot of things go into buying a motherboard and for me they included 3x M.2's , plenty of Fan headers with some on the bottom and for my mobo less RGB as well as position of onboard headers ( one motherboard had my type 3.2 C or whatever its called on the bottom and the front cable wouldnt reach

I also like the idea of having plenty of "clean"power through the onboard phases and mosfets and whatever else they are called

And majority of users of these motherboards would be having bugger all trouble, and the ones I am having are not the motherboard but the BIOS updates that are rushed and not tested...Gigabyte had the F7a and a few days later the F7b to fix a bug in the F7a BIOS

As for Port Royal. I know its GPU but its just strange that all the tests have it just a touch below but thats not the weird problem I was talking about

2. Perko

Perko Member

With ASUS I haven't had to clear my CMOS yet lol.

OJR likes this.
  3. OJR

OJR Member

With Gigashat I had to spend $1100 to finally get a working motherboard.

darkbastard and M1ck1 like this.
  4. Will S

Will S Member

well you would have to be pretty stupid to buy a product for that much from a company that always gave you shit

mesaoz likes this.
  5. OJR

OJR Member

Thought I'd give them one last chance.

6. Bertross

Bertross Member

7. danyell

danyell Member

that's like, super dumb.

you sucked so hard i wanted to give you some silly money for YOUR LAST CHANCE

---

IN OTHER NEWS

I SUCKED UP TO "The Stilt" on OCN and he was kind enough to release a modded original release BIOS for the MSI Tomahawk MAX... the last functional, pretty much fully working and no dramas BIOS for that (my) board, v30 / 300 / 3.00

Subsequent BIOS releases have been awful. Sleep mode problems, cold boot problems, instability, you name it. GO MSI!

I held off updating. Then went a'browsin 'cos you guys were too busy talking about all sorts of non-Ryzen shit in this thread, and found THIS THREAD on OCN where The Stilt is modding the last release of BIOS files for boards that are yet to see AGESA ABBA and their owners who want more MEGAHURTZZ

I wanted said HURTZ but didn't want the probz, asked this legend to mod the original release for the MAX and WIG WAM BAM he did and now people on REDDIT are getting their boost and a reliable board back and now I'm WARM AND FUZZY

And I still can't be arsed flashing my BIOS. I might brick my board.

But Destiny 2 and one of the most annoying bands in the world?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    335 GT, shirl and SKITZ0_000 like this.
  8. PureFire

PureFire Member

With my favourite render programs (Maya and Keyshot) soon supporting GPU rendering with a 20-30x speed boost over traditional CPU rendering I think I wont be going for a Threadripper build now.

Arnold for Maya has a beta version and I quite like it after messing with it for a bit
    Keyshot will launch their GPU render next month, so I will check that out when its available. Pretty excited for that.

Looks like I may be upgrading to a 2080Ti first and then consider a CPU upgrade, but I may not need to.

Bertross likes this.
  9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  10. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I had a bit of a play with it, I found that -25mv to ~-50mv gave me similar all-core performance in Cinebench but I did seem to consistently lose single thread performance. A higher negative voltage offset and and I lost all-core performance as well. It also introduced stability issues for me, while it was fine benching or heavy load I would get random BSOD's when just using my pc even at only -25mv. I think the BSOD issue was caused by the lower pstates with transient response maybe playing a part, a stricter load line might have helped this. but either way I decided it wasn't worth it.

GoneFishin22 likes this.
  11. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

How about Processor Power Management?

12. Will S

Will S Member

it amazes me how someone can mod a BIOS that is better and more reliable then the manufacturer, I sometime think they grab the "cleaner" and give them a PC and tell them to make a BIOS. Then they put the poor SOB back to cleaning because of the complaints they get so they look for another cleaner to fix things up

with apologies to cleaners

GoneFishin22 and 335 GT like this.
  13. shirl

shirl Member

i use his bios on my sons B450 Tomohawk put in a 3700x everything is running perfect,all cores hitting 4.4g volatges is as good as my 3700x,thanks for the link to them modded bios's.

14. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Lol. A good friend of mine was a memory expert (designed the IMC for K8) and knew Oskar Wu really well.

Oskar was the revered bios writer for DFI back in the day.
    Michael told me Oskar would lock himself into his office with a bong and a bag of weed. Michael had no idea how he ever managed to get them stable.
    The nf4 expert board was a thing of legend if you've never used one.

Maybe that's what it takes...

arasta, Bertross, RnR and 2 others like this.
  15. chook

chook Member

Perhaps CJ is, in fact, the world's greatest BIOS writer? He has to be smoking something to get so fucked in the head.

16. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah but we all know meth is worse than pot. I dare you to install a CJ modded BIOS...

335 GT and GoneFishin22 like this.
  17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I double dare...........................

335 GT likes this.
  18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

ABBA finally came out for my board, now automatically boosting to 4.4 instead of 4.2 on single thread, and auto boosting to 4.05 on all threads instead of 3.9 (without using PBO)

Still some tweaking needed but it's going in the right direction

RnR and GoneFishin22 like this.
  19. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

any change to temps?

20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Temps are about the same, I'm not gonna blame msi/amd for that until I fix a small issue with my loop. BUT I can say the volts are still kinda crazy

with -0.05 offset it's now hitting 70-72 under full load which quite a bit better than before

edit: also looks like HWiNFO have updated to be able to read the new AMD APIs, seems to reporting clock changes more accurately (but still a little weird)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019