Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Everything is on target....

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14954/tsmc-n7-euv-process-technology-in-hvm-n6-on-track

upload_2019-10-9_9-22-46.png

SnooP-WiggleS, adamsleath and MUTMAN like this.
  2. RnR

RnR Member

3. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

+1 3700X and a cheap motherboard. What RAM do you have?

If you're limited by cores/threads you'll start getting issues with frame drops or stuttering, whereas a single threaded performance limitation is really just going to smoothly restrict your peak fps. With Ryzen 3000 I don't think you will notice a difference in peak/avg fps coming from a 7700K unless it's heavily overclocked, you have an ultra high end gpu and/or are playing at high fps low resolution/quality settings.

RnR likes this.
  4. Hex

Hex Member

I upgraded from a 5Ghz all core 7700k to a 3900X, minimal difference in average fps in games, here's some not very extensive benchmarks of my 3900X vs 7700k, at 1080p with a vega56 (small note is my RAM is much faster now too, from 2700Mhz to 3600Mhz)

Annotation 2019-10-09 131043.png

5. moonGred

moonGred Member

16GB 3200Mhz Corsair vengeance, can't for the life of me remember the latency timing though, will have a look again tonight.
    7700k is still running stock, I really never intended to upgrade to it. And while it's done alright by me, I was just never excited by it.
    GTX 1080 is starting to show its age when pushing 3440x1440 at 100fps. While I'd love to splurge on 2080ti, the price is about $300 more than I'd want to spend, will probably end up picking up a 2070super for some RTX features.

How do you feel about the upgrade? 3900x is still a substantial step above the 3700x and 3600x, which isn't something I'd commit to now.

Would be interesting to see what my current build is still worth.

6. Hex

Hex Member

I stream casually, and do a little bit of video editing, and for those tasks it absolutely dominates the 7700k so I'm very happy with it. A 3700X or 3800X would handle my work load fine, but I decided to be a bit stupid for the fun of it with the 3900X

7. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

Finished up my install of a Ryzen 3600 on the weekend and found a couple of things of note:
    • I tried to boot the CPU in a MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC but it was not identified. Thankfully, the board supports a CPU-less BIOS flash via USB. However, the process was consistently failing after 10 minutes. I tried it with a 4GB stick instead of 8GB with absolutely no other change in approach and it worked! How the manual doesn't warn about that is beyond me...
    • The temps are all over the place! Idles anywhere from 32c to 44c and can ramp up to 50c in a second for no apparent reason. Hits 81c in Prime95 after 20 mins, but then seems to get throttled and fluctuate between high 60s and high 70s from then on. Haven't really seen behavior like this for my previous CPUs. Cooler is a Mugen 5 which is apparently capable enough; maybe I used to much thermal compound?

8. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

What program are you using to monitor temps? Lots of aftermarket programs don't record the temperature correctly. Your best bet is to install the latest version of Ryzen Master and use that for temperature. i.e my CoreTemp states my 3600 might be 60 degrees whilst in windows, then I load Ryzen Master, and it is in fact about 45.

9. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

My 3600 does not go over 75 during gaming..idle it sits around 35 - 38 and that's with stock cooler. (According to Ryzen Master)

10. Will S

Will S Member

yes..every program I use records it high as well as going up and down like a yoyo...I would have thought they would have updated by now , I like CoreTemp and have the temps show in my toolbar

11. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

Since Ryzen Master and everything else seem to report different results, that begs the question of who is right then... Any analysis on this?

12. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

cheapest aio.jpg

1 hour of civ6, replaced the cm fans w/ noctua.
    very happy w/ the result @ 1.3v

13. 335 GT

335 GT New Member

AMD not surprisingly say Ryzen Master is most accurate.

From my observations they seem to be in the ballpark where hwinfo is miles out on my system.
    RM is currently reporting 41° at idle while hwinfo is currently showing 55°.
    High ambients today.

My 3700 tends not to go over 70° during prime 95 stressing but can hit 80 with AVX.

14. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

This reminds me of the days when the thermal sensor was migrating from the motherboard to the CPU itself and the readings and level of trust in either varied wildly... Seems like AMD is compensating for something in their readings, which is suspicious in itself.

15. 335 GT

335 GT New Member

AMD aren't compensating its hwinfo that's out. (In my case)
    Theres not a hope in hell my CPU is idling at 55°. The simple finger test confirms that.

16. OJR

OJR Member

AMD have stated that they will release an SDK to software vendors like HWinfo that will allow them to read temps and other parameters. I believe this has already started, not sure when it will be included in HWInfo though.

darkbastard and 335 GT like this.
  17. 335 GT

335 GT New Member

Yep. And to be fair my version of hwinfo dates back to early August.

RM seems to be on the money from my (limited) testing but so it should be.

18. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Ok quick question, trying to narrow down motherboard choices in the range of $180-220.

So far narrowed it down to MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max.

Any experience or recommendations regarding these two, or other boards in this approximate price range.

Will be paired with a 3700X.

19. OJR

OJR Member

335 GT likes this.
  20. Will S

Will S Member

it sticks in my throat to say but I sort of agree...........if you can manage it in your budget then I would go for the tuf 570

But have heard so many say good things about the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Nothing has been said but a couple more upgrades for the CPU from AMD may not support older chip-sets, it would be good if they keep it up but to future proof then maybe the TUF is the go