Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Bloody ASUS released a new 7601 BIOS for the ROG Crosshair VI Hero. Everyone on ROG discord and Overclock.net were ecstatic for 1.0.0.4 AGESA. But, ASUS have used 1.0.0.3 ABBA again. Back to the waiting game.

2. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

They must have pulled it off the support page as its not showing for me atm

They have however finally provided a new bios for the CH8 Formula

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Formula/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

***WATCH OUT*** with the ASUS BIOS! After undertaking the update I revisted the BIOS settings and found;
    - SATA was disabled, so no other drives were seen in the OS,
    - Armoury Crate p00p became re-enabled,
    - DRAM Voltage was at 24.67889 or some incredibly ridiculous value and I set it back to 1.4V,
    - there were at least 3-4 other values that were ridiculous but the RAM overvolatge was the worst,
    - loading a previous profile did not pull the RAM timings,
    - Realtek AUDIO becomes uninstalled,
    - my CPU (3700X) is currently just stuck at 3600MHz and even with CPU-z or CineBenchR15 benches it just stays at that speed, trying to isolate this issue right now anyone have any suggestions?!?
    Late Edit: CPU is again throttling after another restart but it still seems constrained?!?
    Damn I am noticing the Bus Speed is all over the shop since the BIOS update and applying that '1usmus-ryzen-power-plan-1.0'. Even with light internet activity it is ranging from 91.6MHz up to 109MHz...................
    Clipboard01.jpg
    Late Late Edit: I changed to power plan to AMD Ryzen High Performance and restarted PC, confirming power plan change and Bus Speed is still jumping around from 91.6-109..........so this seems to be isolated to the new BIOS.

4. OJR

OJR Member

Yeah, flash back to previous BIOS.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/HelpDesk_BIOS/

6. OJR

OJR Member

Not even using the BIOS flashback feature???

7. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Oh dear.

My partners PC uses an Asus X370-F "for the rainbow butterfly". On every bios revision I've used - from 2017 to last month, when you choose any of the D.O.C.P. options it sets the DRAM voltage to 1.8v. I've just accepted it at this point, and dialled in all the settings manually (which it needs anyway as out of the box it can't run 4 sticks over 2666 without manual timings, RTT, CAD_BUS and procODT - even with the September ABBA update...).

Pretty bad for the "number 1" motherboard manufacturer, especially considering the 350, 470 and 570 Asrock boards in the house have no such issues on the same sticks..........

It makes me wonder how many PC's are out there with dodgy motherboard bioses like this, just burning away at their peak voltage setting with the user completely unaware...

8. 335 GT

335 GT Member

What a mess!

I'm not convinced Cpuz is reporting correct values though.
    I would expect that with a base clock of 109 the PC would crack it and shutdown. PCIe would be going nuts, ram speed the same. So many things tied to that base clock.

Have you tried to benchmark it?

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

You could be onto something there as the HWINFO64 is showing it locked in at 100.0MHz.

10. JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

Just installed the AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54) bios update for my MSI X570 MEG ACE board (7C35v16) with a 3700X.

Initially my benches were much lower but realised I forgot to re-enable XMP (duh) but even then, once I enable PBO, I'm still slightly below where they used to be in PCMark and 3DMark. This regression (within margin of error I'd say) is in line with what some others have posted.

PCMark 10 -
    7C35v14 1.0.03abb 6295 (XMP off) / 7118 (XMP on)

7C35v15 1.0.0.3abba 6204 (XMP off) / 7128 (XMP on)

7C35v16 1.0.0.4 Patch B 6658 (XMP off) / 7122 (XMP on)

I also tried running Time Spy (and admittedly latest NVidia drivers now) and saw my score go from 13345/13404ish (two different runs) with the 1.0.0.3ABBA firmware, down to 12450/12648 with 1.0.0.4.

This testing is not scientific and I only ran it once or twice each without restarting, but for some reason I thought the 1.0.0.4 bios update would bring some tangible performance gains but maybe I misread the articles hyping up the new updates.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

OK I have isolated why the Core Clocks were being locked at 3600MHz (not sure why) - the resolution in this case was to open Ryzen Master and Reset instantly cores started to vary with load and activity as expected.

Solution was found here:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/241152
    Still that was one very messy BIOS update with a lot of erroneous values in BIOS, as well as everything switched off including SATA, AUDIO, etc.

12. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

It might just be you - mine updated and is running fine.

All I have done though is enable docp and set fans speeds in bios.

Am yet to enable PBO etc yet

Can you load your old saved profile?

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

My BIOS Flashback button is just a solid when I tried to push it (not springy as you'd expect) and I am concerned I will break it.

I just did a BIOS reset and reloaded the old profile but are still seeing weird stuff in CPU-z. This is also being reflected in HWiNFO64.

14. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

you probably shouldn't be using a profile saved from a previous BIOS.

15. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

hey bold when updating to this version i had to re-do settings, all the settings reverted to the way they were set when i first brought the mobo and booted up (i assume its because asus are using this as the base version on newly manufactured mobos since you cant flashback) that said my audio drivers and such remained intact, i had one crash from a throttle because my fan profile was set on the plain jane one that's inaudible (i assume thats why anyway) since that crash iv had about 5 hours of games between mw & rdr2 and ran into no instability, however i was fucking around w/ settings like ccx and such

also check to see if your vcore has a negative offset, cpuz & hwinfo didnt pick it up on my x470 taichi or this strix

mas vs cpu.jpg

oh and for the 1usmus power plan there were recommended settings to tweak while using that plan

from --> https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html

here they are: (apologies if youve done this already cbf reading all the previous posts)

• Global C-state Control = Enabled
    • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
    • CPPC = Enabled
    • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
    • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
    • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
    • I also recommend disabling PBO, which activates Precision Boost 2.0 for clock management. This ensures only temperature and FIT play a role for clock speeds

hope this helps

16. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I think you are both correct there about pulling any old profiles and I think that may have pulled DATA that caused a lot of the issues. I reflashed the same BIOS and are now inputting the values.

Late Edit: that seemed to have been the issue as after I re-flashed with the same BIOS and then manually re-enetered all settings (RAM OC) etc. Things are again functioning as expected but I was also not seeing weird DATA/values in BIOS fields. Lesson learnt new profile for every new BIOS and then only save that one. Thanks for the tips and insight.

cbjaust and AlliZ like this.
  17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

MSI's b450 1.0.0.4 bios is out, for the pro carbon at least

It's in beta though

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

For those in the dark, here is AMD's latest slide deck.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15062/amds-2019-fall-update/6

From the slides it doesn't really look like there is much difference between the 3900X and 3950X, but the next batch of reviews will be on new bios revisions, drivers and possibly with better memory configs, so there might be a bit of an up tick in the numbers.

At this point, I'm really just interested to see if the 3950X has a good die plus a dud die like the 3900X, or if being the flagship they're both good bins capable boosting... [close] to spec on both dies.

19. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

geez the 3950x finally has a release date, 25th nov, $1200 usd :O

"Thermal Solution (PIB)
    Cooler Not Included, Liquid Cooling Recommended"

what?!?! no wraith prism?!>?!

20. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

It’s $749USD, you’re looking at the price of the Intel i9-9920X

Still a fair hike though, those precious 8 core dies....