1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Disagreee!

As many cores, you'd be looking at a Ryzen 7-1700 for 8 cores say first gen, IMO the 6 core options always made the most sense and even today I would go the 2600(gaming), I think the 4000 will be the last refresh for these boards and a high clock 12 core or even 8 cpu is the way to go..... If the 12 core cpus clock high thats what ill go for, PCI-4 Dont care LMAOF!

2. Phido

Phido Member

Wow you waited a long time.

I had to have a relationship with a 4790k after my lovely Thurban because Bulldozer was so unappealing. I felt dirty and cheap, and I hated going to only 4 cores. But its single thread performance was significantly faster. But I am very happy with the Ryzen 3700x. It is significantly faster than the 4790k, and the system as a whole with a new SSD and 32Gb ram is quite a nice place to be.

But I regret not spending the extra ~$250 and getting a 12 core. However, I will quite happily wait till next year, build another box with a 4900x and give this CPU to the wife and then officially decommission the 4790k which is limping on 1 channel of DDR3 and a 500gb SATA SSD and IGP video.

3. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I think the fourth gen lineup will be very similar to the third gen, just with more IPC and a bump in frequency.

If you're only doing one task at a time, then you only need as many cores as applicable to that task. Which at the moment for gaming, in most cases 6c12t fits that use case pretty neatly. Definitely my go-to recommendation, in some cases I might even recommend a s/h 8700K....................... (e.g. with a high end GPU, high refresh rate)

As soon as you leave this scenario, doing multiple things at once (e.g. streaming while gaming, leaving browsers/apps open, consuming media while gaming) or by having multiple use cases (use PC for gaming and for light workstation tasks - e.g. encoding, compressing, hosting, rendering), more cores is almost always going to give you a better experience.

The question is, is the money worth spending for that improved experience or quality of life, or is it a worthwhile investment for workstation use case (is your capacity limited by processing time) this could be for personal or professional use.

For me, I'm an enthusiast and I like tinkering, but also my PC's are generally doing multiple things at once, I dabble in workstation tasks and appreciate those tasks both completing quickly and not interrupting my ability to still use the pc. That said, if these CPUs were less affordable (see previous intel HEDT) it just wouldn't be feasible for me and I would instead change my behaviour.

Ratzz and jpw007 like this.
  4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I will be waiting for Zen4. I agree with you, I think the next gen will simply have an uplift in IPC and clock speeds. I doubt I'll be going that way, I'll stick with Zen+ until Zen4.

Zen4 will be a serious game changer IMHO, and I'm thinking it will arrive maybe Q1 or Q2 2021. I can wait until then. I like to tinker, the biggest disappointment for me with Ryzen is the limited overclocking. PBO is a little too effective, it can push the chips almost to their limit without intervention. Ram overclocking is not as good as Intel either.

At times I wish I'd stuck with Intel, not because I think they are better chips, but because they are more interesting to overclock.

I'm hoping Zen4 will have a little more room to move, but I won't be looking for the high core counts. An 8 core, or maybe a 12 core, will be a lot of fun for Zen4 I'm hoping, and at a sufficiently low price that it may be affordable to buy multiple chips in search of Gold :thumbup:

Of course I'll also need a new board for Zen4 too, its not going to be AM4. DDR5 maybe? :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. PureFire

PureFire Member

I think leaks have suggested Zen3 will be out the end of 2020 and roadmaps show Zen4 is planned for 2022.

6. RnR

RnR Member

Zen 4 should be coming out in 2021. Seems TSMC's 5nm is going really well...

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-4-5-nm-launching-2021/

7. asho444

asho444 Member

I think we actually discussed this on one of assans winge threads. 5ghz appears to be pretty much the barrier for the current methods, but when you talk efficiencies they have taken crazy leaps forward, 10 years ago the top pro sumer chip was the i7 990x, 6 core 12 thread, 3.8 ghz and 130 watt tdp.not to mention the price, now you can get triple the cores and an extra 800mhz for cheaper and a huge IPC increase and is still on a lower power bracket.

8. OJR

OJR Member

You'll have to be more specific. He cries a lot.

bob05, RnR and darkbastard like this.
  9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

While I understand most of what you're saying, TDP doesnt mean shit these days and at the wall power draw is known to be crazy on intel at least :(

10. asho444

asho444 Member

I know, I read too many and couldn't remember
    Obviously intels tdp is bull shit now but AMD's still seems to be on point,

11. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

FYI my mobo (ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E) had another new BIOS released (Version 1405 2019/11/26) and it booted fine but when I tried to OC the RAM again and enter my DRAM Calc settings from a print out it wouldn't boot and I had to do a CMOS reset. Went back into OS and reviewed DRAM Calc again and there were some subtle changes to my print out but even with those entered into the BIOS it would not boot.

I didn't want to lose the RAM OC so I just upped the Frequency to 3600 and FLCK (1800) saved them and the system booted but with very loose timings (24, 24, 24, etc). I then went back into BIOS and just tightened the primary timings (16, 19, 16, 36, 58) which had been generated from DRAM Calc whilst leaving the vDIMM at 1.35 (I had previously been running it at 1.4v). System booted and is running fine.

TLDR; for OCing my RAM just upping the Freq, FCLK and entering the primary timings my system booted at lower vDIMM. I found no need to try and isolate which sub timing might be causing instability and left them all on AUTO without issues.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

New bios for Asus Crosshair VIII Formula

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Formula/HelpDesk_BIOS/

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I was reading a breakdown the other day and funilly enough they even reckon AMD's is a bit dicey...But i cbf searching it so i'll say it isn't true for now haha

14. RnR

RnR Member

15. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I am not sure why you are having temperature problems.

How hot is it getting, what programs are you using and what are you monitoring temps with?

It has been crazy hot over here the last week. 46-48°C and yesterday for giggles I fired up my PC with no aircon and playing COH I couldn't get it to hit 70°c.
    On the stock cooler.

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Using Handbrake i tend to get 70-72 consistently (70% CPU utilisation). Which feels fairly high for WC imo. It's not an issue with water temp etc as the 1080ti runs around 40 iirc. I've re-applied thermalpaste etc.

I don't worry about it anymore and it doesn't seem to go over 72 very often if at all as i never bench, so i need to adjust my expectations. Part of it may even be that nothing seems to record the faeklfjskef temps properly (though afterburner reads same temp when loaded as Ryzen Master does). Idle temps are around 40-50 and bounces which annoys me. I dunno. It's my first AMD since Phenom II and my first WC AMD, and i've also found issues getting reports on what temps others get with WC (haven't checked in a couple weeks i'll admit though).

I'm not unhappy. I LOVE the CPU. I think half the issue I probably have though is that the offset die's seems to make watercooling less effective.

18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

You're right in the ballpark then.

Nothing to worry about. 95 IIRC is the max temp.

Mine will jump about 15 degrees from idle if a simple windows background task fires up. I suspect that's due to 7nm.
    I don't worry though as it sits right around 70 and never goes higher.

I've got a custom loop in the drawer but I haven't bothered setting it back up as my chip gets nowhere near the threshold. Plus I'm old and lazy. :)

19. RnR

RnR Member

https://www.techpowerup.com/261853/tsmc-on-track-to-deliver-3-nm-in-2022

Crikey! I feel bad still being on 45nm :D

MUTMAN and jpw007 like this.
  20. OJR

OJR Member

Imagine how Intel feels. :lol:

MUTMAN and chook like this.