Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. OJR

OJR Member

2. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Lot of Intel CPU's in the FS section lately. Everyone jumping ship?

3. WRC

WRC Member

Just dropping this in here in case someone runs into the same problem. One of my main use cases for my new 3900X system is audio production using programs like Ableton Live. So you can imagine how disappointed I was when I fired Live up, put in a simple kick/snare pattern and immediately had the system stuttering every few beats.

I tried the usual suspects - uninstalling my sound card drivers, installing a latency monitor and trying to spot any spikes happening at the same time etc. Couldn't find anything.

In the end I found a random post using google fu that suggested changing a setting in the BIOS related to PCIE that was set to Auto by default to Gen 3. Problem solved.

So if you end up with sound card problems - I'm using a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid - try changing that BIOS setting. Worked for me.

Daveros, darkbastard, mesaoz and 2 others like this.
  4. neRok

neRok Member

How does it perform at that task compute wise? I was speaking with a mate who is looking to build a PC for the use case, and gaming.

5. Skramit

Skramit Member

Having just switched back to AMD I wanted to work out how long it's been since my Athlon64 - 15 years! Then I thought it was cool to work out what CPU's I've had in my main rig over the years. Is there n existing thread for documenting ones CPU history? Here's mine!

1999 - Pentium 3 450mhz 180nm 1 Core
    2001 - Pentium 4 1.70ghz 180nm 1 Core
    2004 - Athlon 64 3200+ 90nm 1 Core
    2006 - Core 2 Duo E6600 65nm 2 Cores
    2008 - Core 2 Quad E9550 45nm 4 Cores
    2011 - Core i7 2600k 32nm 4 Cores 4 H/T
    2019 - Ryzen 7 3700X 7nm 8 Cores 8 H/T

adamsleath likes this.
  6. WRC

WRC Member

I haven't really pushed it yet. However there are benchmarks that have been run by a company that sells pre-built audio PCs in the UK that shows the 3900X stacks up pretty well even against the HEDT Intel chips for DAW work.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/tag/dawbench/

neRok likes this.
  7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

And why wouldn't you, intel is stagnant and still years away from having something competitive, while ryzen goes from strength to strength.

It's exactly what the CPU market needed, it's good that people are actually buying them and voting with their wallets.

As long as intel prices keep coming down, the AMD prices should stay sane, but there is a definite possibile future where AMD ends up with insane intel style pricing... then we'll be rooting for someone to topple AMD :wired:

8. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'm jumping in the next week or so. Price for a better 1151 intel socket cpu's about the same as an AMD board and CPU. Sheer dumb luck I ended up upgrading the ram to something I would have purchased on the switch.

9. genxor

genxor Member

Just finished installing new MB, RAM & 3700X. Even coming from an i7 7700k holy crap there's a difference. Even subtle things like videos not skipping when a game loads. It's eating through this x265 test encode like nothing right now. All this from a 65W CPU - pretty great :)

coolroy, cbjaust, RnR and 3 others like this.
  10. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah I was hoping for a decent discount today, but there's nothing :( (But if i buy something before end of year i get a free game)
    just trying to decide on a 3600x/3700x or 3800x
    and whether it's worth spending the extra...
    Gigabyte has a end of year special so i can get an Aorus x570 board with a 3700x and get a free NVME SSD (will cost me $200 more than the 3600x.. but it's for gaming where i won't see much difference...)
    And i considered buying something from there, but for the same price i can get brand new Ryzen that mostly matches or beats the Intel stuff..
    Don't know why they're fetching decent prices still..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    genxor likes this.
  11. genxor

genxor Member

I was holding out for a good sale too but I guess when the things are selling like hotcakes at the current price it'd be silly to discount them.

I was pretty close to getting the 3800x but someone had done the maths and worked out that with the extra power draw it wasn't really worth the slight clock bump. Pretty happy to have an actual upgrade path for the future too.

12. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

If you’re picking between 3600/3700/3800,

I would suggest the 3700. It’s amazeballs.

I do wish I had a 3950 tho!

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

But for gaming is it with the extra $200?
    I don't think so..

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

look for some benchs using the 2080 at whatever resolution you run. see if there is a difference worth it to you.
    only you can say if an extra (10% ?? ) frames is worth the extra $$

15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Between 3700 and 3800, no difference. You prob wont notice any difference in fps between 3600x/3700x/3800x. Any difference would probably be 1-2 frames.

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Exactly....

In some game benches they can even be slower

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

18. Phido

Phido Member

IMO if you want something better than the 3700x get the 3900x. The extra cores will probably help resale/long term value.

19. Will S

Will S Member

I have noticed that with the latest BIOS from Gigabyte the temps of my m/b under idle have shot up. Ended up removing the aio and getting rid of the liquid silver and putting on a better dose of kyronaut and its about 2 degrees cooler but sill around the 50's at idle ( about 30 degrees above ambient ). I see Ryzen Master temps now read the same as Coretemp ......

I think with each BIOS upgrade AMD is boosting the voltage to get its "publicity target"....I dont like it at all

Under load the temps are in the low 70's so thats not bad. I hate the latch system for the AIO's...much prefer the 4 screws lie you get in the water blocks...........may even make this my first water loop ( toss up between a new Fanatec wheel and the Corsair Cooling )

20. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Will S is it crashing? If you're running out of the box configuration, it's fine, don't worry about it.