Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Will S

Will S Member

No crashing, just dont like it running that hot especially in a case with exceptional airflow........have a 9900kf ( unclocked )that runs 15 degrees cooler

also curious as to why Ryzen Master all of a sudden started mirroring temps in programs like Coretemp which has always showed temps around 50C ......

2. te27te37ae86

te27te37ae86 Member

Best people do the research and understand the real power figures, The TDP relates more to the heatsink capabilities of the HSF than the CPU power draw as explained by Gamersnexus
    Both Intel and AMD are somewat vague on this as are most of the Tech Media.
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...lained-deep-dive-cooler-manufacturer-opinions

3. RnR

RnR Member

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

No matter how one tries to over complicate what is a fundamentally pretty simple concept, they're still closely related , and under sustained load they are all but equal.

Turbo functionality -which is is just variable clockspeeds at the end of the day is what has allowed companies to push electrical power and TDP apart. Because they're no longer guaranteeing a fixed clockspeed / performance level.. performance is allowed to vary with the available heat sinking.

For example the key thing that allows Intel to use such misleading numbers is simply because they guarantee base clocks only @ rated TDP @ TJmax.. Those base clocks are pathetically low of course, so then TDP number ends up light years away from what the chip can draw if allowed.

So in other words, whilst a '95w' 9900K might draw 180w and maintain high boost clocks all day with a cooler capable of dissipating 180w, if you strap a 95w cooler on it , it will throttle down to Base clocks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    SKITZ0_000, PureFire and MUTMAN like this.
  5. Will S

Will S Member

well what I want to do is underclock my cpu because its too hot at idle.......AMD had increased voltage so they can get their marketing goal

I dont want 4.4 or 4.5 ...would be happy to run at 4.1 with reduced voltage ie heat

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

So do it... voltage offset -0.1, or enable the built in eco mode

Might be time to get your anxiety checked out if you're staring at CPU temps all day

335 GT and cbjaust like this.
  7. Will S

Will S Member

use core temp and they are there in the task bar so just a glance to see how they are going

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Have you done what everyone suggests and double checked the temp in ryzen master? for a lot of people coretemp reads 10-15c higher than the real value

My 3900x sits around 40c idle in a warm room with my 420mm rad, 60's under gaming loads and 75-80 on heavy benchmarks.. who cares, it's working fine.

9. RnR

RnR Member

Max Temps 95°C - from the AMD spec's.
    Source?

10. Skramit

Skramit Member

arasta, MUTMAN, RnR and 2 others like this.
  11. OJR

OJR Member

MOTHER OF GOD!

12. Phido

Phido Member

Well they are just charging you double what you pay for 32 core cpu..
    At this end of the market, thats pretty good value.

My question who are the OEM's making Threadripper systems? Hp? Lenovo? Dell? I don't think any of them do anything like that. Puget systems is very botique and don't do outside US.

13. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

coretemp polls the cpu and gets it to turbo all the time. use something else.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Any suggestions since you know what not to use?

I personally don't want Ryzen Master anywhere on my PC again. It's locked enough times that i had to reinstall after the last I couldn't fix Win10 boot.

15. OJR

OJR Member

Ryzen Master. :lol:

16. RnR

RnR Member

HWInfo64 has been the recommended tool outside Ryzen Master for a while now.

17. OJR

OJR Member

It still doesn't report correct temperatures however.

18. RnR

RnR Member

I hadn't heard that. I thought there is differences in temps based on sampling rate but thats all?

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

haha, fuck mang :lol:

Yeah, i thought the same and swear i read only Coretemp had been updated to read correct but HW hadn't. I find HW a bit too much information for what i want too. I'm just a simple man (mentally) and just want my max temp on the entire CPU to show in my taskbar as well as my GPU temp

20. RnR

RnR Member

Oohh... my bad. I was thinking of CPU-Z and voltages. Don't know why my brain translated that to HWInfo64 and temps :wired: