Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. OJR

OJR Member

2. Phido

Phido Member

This isn't a huge issue for home users, (but is an issue), but for server farms? You would want to be turfing out those older CPU's enmass. The fact that AMD will sell you something more power efficient, more cores etc cheaper is likely to see AMD make a lot of sales in typically intel space.

No use trying to convince fans. Its the swinging purchasers and the big commercial and server spaces.

3. RnR

RnR Member

4. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

interesting opinion/info

5. Phido

Phido Member

I found the motherboard announcement pretty disappointing. There really isn't much there.
    The active cooling on the chipset I would assume kills the idea mITX (and probably mATX). I wouldn't be surprised if that means basically there won't be a real b550, just a rename of the b450 chipset.
    Nothing really new on USB or network or SATA.
    PCI-E is mostly from the CPU. Sure the new atx boards will have more PCI-E4 but how many people are on AM4 maxing out their PCIE?

So really I am thinking a mITX B450 board (like Asus strix).. Nice and small board should mean basically everything is PCI-E 4, and you get two M2 slots. Two fast memory channels. I don't really know what x570 is really going to offer.

Again, I think 8-12 core is the sweet spot. If you want 16 core, threadripper is likely to be a better space, with probably 24-32 cores being also sweet on threadripper. You have a big socket, boards with massive power, 4 channels, huge PCI-E. Massive case ventilation etc. So much bandwidth.

The only issue I have is Ryzen3 compatibility out of the box.... I assume most retailers will update BIOS of existing stock when bundling with Ryzen3.

6. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

I agree Phido, altho these leaks are not really marketing, its easier to be excited when everything is toting rgb and flashing, cant wait for the gimicky gigabyte waterforce board, thats an expensive water block with a motherboard attached to it

another mobo leaked

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-series-x570-gaming-motherboard-pictured/

we can spot four DDR4 DIMM slots that support up to 64 GB of memory capacity with speeds of up to 3466 MHz OC+. The motherboard aims to be a more mainstream tuned design so we can expect the higher-end motherboards from Colorful support even higher speed memory DIMMs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hvalac

hvalac Member

Wow that mobo is horrid, it reminds me of the p4 era for some reason.

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

plenty of life in this socket to do a small amount of future proofing. PCIE4 is a must have for me (in case I ever do want to get hammered on vid card prices game again)

9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

why is the chipset so hot.? does anyone know yet?
    buildzoid is just guessing.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The chipset has gone from 6-8W up to more like 15W. That would cause a fair bit of extra heat. What its actually doing to use the extra power I don't know.

11. Nian

Nian Member

Yeah it's ugly. Also, what is with the fighter jet silhouette?

12. RnR

RnR Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bowcyw/windows_treats_amd_as_vulnerable_to_mds/enma9z7/

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

one thing is for certain. diagonal patterning on motherboards is a must for system builders! second only to RGB. :lol:

14. Phido

Phido Member

That is a good question..
    That is quite a bit of heat. I had hoped maybe 10Gbp Ethernet, something significant like that. It doesn't really offer more USB 3.1 or SATA or anything over the x470. If you double the power requirements, you would expect double the features. When was the last time an AMD chipset needed active cooling? When they had the GPU on them? Not even then I think.. Huge step back for mITX boards. Maybe its cooling for the PCI-E 4.0 M2 devices.

15. asho444

asho444 Member

Could just be for wank factor

16. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

i think you are on the money, in buildzoids video he states its "under certain conditions" so i think its if you have everything populated & running so multiple pcie and m2 & sata,
    if it was needed for general tasks then the x470 wouldnt be backwards compat cause it would melt, i can recall reading on x470 if you are running two+ m2 nvme it flips a pcie from 16 to 8? so maybe that isnt a thing with pcie-4

edit: https://wccftech.com/amd-7nm-ryzen-3000-epyc-rome-radeon-navi-availability-confirmed-q3-2019/

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  17. Phido

Phido Member

The 20 PCI-E lanes come directly from the CPU, so the chipset doesn't have to do anything for PCI-E 3 or PCI-E 4. The other PCI-E 4 extenders appear outside of the chipset.
    But the PCI-E 4 sdd devices themselves might require active cooling. But that doesn't really explain why the fan is on the chip itself. I hope there is some feature we don't know about that is causing that power usage.

18. asho444

asho444 Member

It could be hollow in the chamber with the the air being blown out over the ssds. I don't understand this since when have 15w chips required active cooling? It has to just the maker having fun

19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Apparently its all a feature of pretty much all X570's that have surfaced so far though.

20. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

At first, I thought the board looked a little bad, and then I remembered the abomination that was the ASSRock X370 Taichi, which makes everything else ever made look like fine art.
    OMG GEARS PRINTED ON A MOTHERBOARD!!! Ultimate wank factor right there.
    at least fighter jets make sense as they're a technology of the past 100 years like this motherboard.

On the plus side, the reason for the fan is obvious.
    with that tiny fan on the board, after 1 year you'll never hear any other loud components in your system.
    When your GPU and CPU fans ramp up to 100% you simply won't hear them over the motherboard fan.

chook likes this.