Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'll see if this little bundle makes any difference (vs the X470 Taichi, RX580 and 960 Pro they are replacing).
    Combined with the R5 3600 and 64GB Klevv c16-3600 I am already using, should be a reasonable improvement :thumbup:

IMG_20200505_141408.jpg

vk2fro, arasta and MUTMAN like this.
  2. arasta

arasta Member

the xt should give a fair kick up the bum; i went from a 480 which was not too far behind (nitro) to a red dragon and at 1440p ive been very happy on my old intel system(4690k @ 4.3gig). you should do even better.... so watching how you go with that setup will be interesting. i also went with a seagate barra 510 ssd (claimed 3400 read 2400 write - much slower than the MP! but for OS its fine) a 3700x and the asus470 prime. seeing what you get will be indicative for what i should expect, im thinking :) i have some medical crap to deal with atm once that is over hopefully i can turn my attention to my build. i actually have it together in a spare case but need to unpin and redo watercooling to get it in my main box.... joy.

3. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Ratzz. love to hear your experience with the MSI Mech 5700XT GPU.

My order had to change a bit due to out of stock items holding up the shipping. Has been stuck at shipping info recieved, and supplier confirmed it had not left the warehouse, and I was free to swap items.

I ditched the 3950X and the PCIE4.0 1TB in favour of a 3700X, and a 5700XT. I was glad I did, I couldn't justify spending $1300 on a CPU and pairing it with a last generation graphics card. Besides,8 cores and 16 threads is still better than anything Intel offer :)

They are happy to hold my order until I have the $100 difference to complete payment (sorry not living on ramen noodles for a week!) :)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  4. Scotty_DDR

Scotty_DDR Member

Got my first AMD build on the way since my first and last, a DFI lanparty ultra D and athlon 3500!

went with from shopping express: ryzen 5 3600x, MSI b450m pro carbon AC, crucial 1tb nvme, 2 x 8GB G.skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX. Umart: Thermaltake Commander C35, Corsair CX750M and a sapphire 5700xt off of the market place here.

fingers crossed it all arrives out here in one piece. was going to wait until b550m and ryzen 3 3300x was out but the sales on the weekend got me.

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  5. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

All these specced up gaming pc’s to alleviate the boredom of quarantibe :)

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Which 5700XT did you go with? I wanted a Red Dragon, and if you can get one I'd be going in that direction, but since they notified me after I'd already placed and paid for the order that they wouldn't have the Red Dragon in stock until the 12th, and I'm an impatient bugger, I substituted the Mech OC to expedite things, as they were both the same price.
    The Mech OC is supposed to be capable of similar performance, but a weaker cooler means it takes double the fan speed to do the same job. I'll let you know just how horribly that turns out.
    Its only really a placeholder until Big Navi drops anyway, I will either live with it until then, or swallow the loss when I sell it and replace it with a Red Dragon. I'm limited to a dual fan card unfortunately - if you have the space and an extra hundred bucks or so I'd be grabbing a Nitro+.

7. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I went with the gigabyte triple fan model, Gaming OC :)

8. danyell

danyell Member

I don't want to shit on your purchase, but I'd contemplate waiting for the other model and just leaving this one pristine in the box for a return. From a user review on Umart's page for this card. Hardly glowing:

https://www.umart.com.au/MSI-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-MECH-8G-OC-Graphics-Card_52790G.html

------------

Will
    •3 months ago
    Overall, it is a budget 5700xt model that works, and at this price point, it is hard for me to recommend this card.

It is loud and it is hot with the out of the box bios. The junction temperature can easily hit over 100 degree celsius in an open test bench environment and even hotter in a case. The GPU edge temperature and the GPU junction temperature can have a significant delta at 30+ degrees when running games or stress tests. This is probably caused by a mounting pressure issue, and I do not think at this point, it is solvable. (Adding washers does not work! nor apply new thermal paste)

The temperature on the memory is also unacceptable, I was seeing 94 degrees when running benchmarks with out of the box settings. Apart from the temperature issues, this card also runs very loud with fan spinning at 2700 rpm which is about 53dba.

When overclocked, the junction temperature can easily break 110 degrees in seconds and became down clocked, so there is no point trying to overclock this card.

The only viable option here is to undervolt the card and reduce its power limit, this way, the temperature can be kept at a reasonable value.

The memory temperature can be solved if you have spare 2mm thick thermal pads, cut them to the right size to cover the entire gddr6 memory module sees a significant 14~16 degree celsius drop on the memory temperature (depending on the quality of the thermal pads). And the same fix is recommended to be applied to the VRM.

I also saw there are comments about removing the plastic back plate would help with the core temperature, haven't tried it myself, so no guarantee it will provide any benefits.

Cheap, Compact design should fit into most cases
    Hot, Loud, 0 overclocking headrooms, Can run into dangerous temperature with out of the box settings, Fake, plastic back plate does not provide any benefits

--------------

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

~waits for a buildzoid gfx card break down~ I live in hope.

pretty much what I have done every time so far.
    the card with the best cooling in the price range I can justify.

adamsleath likes this.
  10. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I have always had "mid tier" computers - equivalent of:

3600X
    B450 Mobo
    5600XT / GTX 2060

Even my macbook is a mid tier model, i5 with 8gb, but then again who has $5k+ to buy a maxxed out apple. Very few I reckon :p

From now on I'll always be building higher specced machines. No crazy stuff hence I changed the cpu from the 3950, there is no need for that much grunt, even if I am running two vms, I'll still have 4 cores left over for other tasks.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I expected to see the price of old 4 core/8 thread i7 cpus plummet since the release of the new Ryzen 3 parts, however I'm still seeing them fetch hefty prices. Am I missing something here, or are people a little slow to catch on?

12. asho444

asho444 Member

What's the old add you never got in trouble for buying Intel.

Intel have had a choke on the market so long people only really know the i7 branding and such

13. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

If your referring to second hand, people paid a lot for them when they were new, so they believe they will sell for an inflated price. Problem is, unless you have a very specific task that requires an intel chip, you can get a quad core Ryzen chip for peanuts, and not a lot more gets you a hex core. If new, then suppliers won't drop the price until they're sick of them sitting on the shelves as only one in ten buys one in favour over the Ryzen cpus.

Intel has been king for the last decade, and now they have been de-throned by AMD with their killer core count and budget friendly prices. AMD is also starting to catch up with their GPU's, with some models of 5700XT keeping pace with a 2070. Intel needs to move from the Skylake mould and make somthing new to boot AMD back off the throne and take back the title. Till then, AMD will have a turn in the big chair.

335 GT likes this.
  14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

3100X and 3300X reviews are out.. They're really going for intel's jugular aren't they.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15774/the-amd-ryzen-3-3300x-and-3100-cpu-review
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-cpu-review
    https://www.computerbase.de/2020-05/amd-ryzen-3-3100-3300x-test/

pricier, but a total bloodbath against 9100F , doesn't even look like upcoming 10 series i3s will be able to match these if you don't need an IGP - i.e budget gaming. (there's no F's on offer with 10th gen), seeing how they do against a higher clocked 7700k!

Most surprisingly, Continues to hold its own to a 7700k @ 4.9 when OC'd to a hefty 4.5 in many games

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-cpu-review/3

Doubt the 3300x will land here under $200, but if you can't stretch to a 3600, at least there's a decent option now

Edit - even if you can stretch to a 3600.. this makes you think twice :O

AMp8nbNPDG4RJ7uRvLZWEG-650-80.png

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    BiggusDickus likes this.
  15. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

For sure, and you will have a platform with so many upgrade options.

I reckon we haven't seen this type of value in the low-end segment since the Athlon XP days. There's still more work to do in the GPU market though...

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

yeah, really need it at the moment. the USD to AUD actual scaling for parts is like 1.6-1.7x at the moment. Weak dollar + COVID is nasty. What looks like a manageable jump to the next sku in USD blows out to crazy numbers here

17. Recharge

Recharge Member

BURN M$

coolroy and adamsleath like this.
  18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

3300x mmm yeh not bad :p

i might have to revise my thoughts on the 1600af.
    but i guess the 3300x will be a tad over 200aud. 229? :p

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    coolroy likes this.
  19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

adamsleath and coolroy like this.
  20. arasta

arasta Member

yup came here to see the ruckus cos i just saw the chips had dropped at PCCG. 175 for the 3100 and 205 for the 3300X. going to watch the above roundups, going for intels jugular definitely seems to be the vibe im getting. it may even cannibalise the 3600! tho im guessing its 32MB cache will still be better for some workloads...?

aussie currently buying 65 USc so slightly higher than it has been... so it might be possible to see it sub 200, certainly at the midyear sales not too far away....