Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Never say never. Lets see how the manufacturers handle the situation.

adamsleath likes this.
  2. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Im talking from someone who has a $100 B350 Mobo close to launch(ASRock B350M Pro4).

Yes a drop in replacement make sooooo much sense no question.

For the sake of $80 in a new machine (3300X vs 3600) I'd be putting my money into a new platform.....

Unless otherwise what's wrong with the 3300X in a gaming machine?

It looks close to the 3600 in terms of performance at 1080 maybe 1440P the gap closes even more.

From someone who could use a second PC I think this 3300X is a no brainer , upgrade the B350 at an arbitrary point in time slap a new Ryzen 8 core into the 550 in a year or two.

3. Recharge

Recharge Member

4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Sneak peek at some of the B550 offerings, including a micro-atx from Biostar toward the end of this video - Biostar... remember them ;)

RnR and adamsleath like this.
  5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

apu's not supported on b550? seems strange.

6. OP
    OP
    luke o

luke o Member

Gotta segment that market artificially somehow! Not supporting new Zen on B450/X470 is a bit of a slap in the face!

7. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah completely disingenuous by AMD. The fact that there are no support for older processors on X570 and B550 suggests that this could also be done for all the older boards as well. ie two streams of bioses; one for older processors, and one for newer processors.

I think AMD did this to shield the manufacturers if they didn't want to go down this road, but otherwise leave it up to them.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So after some time with the Mech.. I'm paying the 15% restocking fee to PCCG and swapping it for a Red Dragon.

I know the reviews are terrible on the Mech, but I was impatient, and hey, I don't work GPU's real hard anyway so I figured might as well take a punt.

So here's the lowdown.. the reviewers aren't overreacting to a mediocre product. They are UNDERreacting. Be warned all. the MSI Mech OC is the hottest, loudest steaming pile of crap I have had the misfortune to deal with for a VERY long time. It actually performs quite well ironically, but the good is FAR overshadowd by the bad. It's not like a tightarse such as I to pay $112 penalty for a change of heart quite so readily, but fuck this GPU is bad. I'll report further on the Red Dragon when I make the swap.. supposedly in stock on the 12th, if not by then I'll just take the money and go elsewhere to buy it.

9. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

You made the right decision. Living with a bad purchase can just eat at you. The sooner you put that shit behind you and forget about it the better.

Ratzz and MUTMAN like this.
  10. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Ya - better to wear the 15% restocking fee than put up with a heater in your case. I sorta gathered this was going to be the outcome when you put the Mech into service - so many reviewers slamming this GPU due to its sub par assembly.

Least you got to test the GPU, I also wore that 15% when I ordered a 280mm AIO, only to realise I had space for a 240mm AIO. Oops ;)

11. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Buying an AMD GPU is such a mine field at the moment! So many dodgy 5700 cooling solutions, and then with 5600XT you've got the BIOS differences which determine the memory speed. Admittedly the second issue was caused by AMD, but the quality control issues with the 5700 models is absolutely shameful.

12. 335 GT

335 GT Member

That's why you look at all the options and then buy sapphire.

Ratzz and RnR like this.
  13. RnR

RnR Member

Sapphire DualX 7850 in ma' system! Never missed a beat since I got it :D

335 GT and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The only reason I didn't go with another Nitro+ was that the 5700XT Nitro+ is just too long. Its positively huge. I need a 2 fan card, the best of them going by reviews is the Red Dragon.

RnR likes this.
  15. arasta

arasta Member

have a sour taste in my mouth from sapphire with a not even 3 yo 480 nitro dying on me. happily i have the red dragon 5700xt in replacement and so far i am very happy with it :D

btw wrt the older board bioses, i suspect there may be some old boards that have a big rom chip that may get the tables for the new chip. officially amd are saying the new chip tables will come on new boards but theres nothing stopping a board maker with the room on a given model from putting it in, i suspect. modding a bios to have a specific model put in will probably work as well.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  16. hawkus

hawkus Member

Couldn't be further from the truth I bought my Ryzen 2600 for $208 in 2018 just sold it for $200 cash.

Don't get any better than that... the new ryzen are holding value like a champ

17. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

You pretty much ripped someone off.. big time.
    https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/536463

The only reason some seocndhand AMD prices are holding at the moments, is because of COVID and the lack of stock..

all the higher end stuff from 1st and 2nd generation has depreciated very badly... (and the threadripper)

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

maybe he paid a low price at purchase ?
    the AUD was at 80c back in 2018. its 65c today ...

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...at least ram is cheaper than a couple years ago. wow. it was sooo expensive.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. hawkus

hawkus Member

Yep aussie dollar was stronger and also 2600 probably the most popular 2000's series ryzen so a lot of people want it and a lot of people can afford it. I also delivered it for them, heaps of people were willing to buy it for that price.

That's besides the point anyway... fact is ryzen is holding value well.