1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. miicah

miicah Member

3300x looks the business. Only downside is B450 would be limited to PCIE3, so it might be better to get a B550 board as well?

2. kogi

kogi Member

Would a 3300x enough to feed a RX 5600 XT?

3. Rod M

Rod M Member

there was a youtuber who tested the 3100 and 3300X with a RTX2060 and from memory that seemed to be more than adequate,

4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Not to mention B450 also has no upgrade path. You won't be able to drop a 3rd gen ryzen into that board should you decide to upgrade down the track - you'll need to replace the motherboard with a B550 or X570.

On another note, just for shits and giggles, I have followed some tutorials in making a windows 7 usb useable on x570. I've just finished creating the stick from a windows 10 VM in Parallels. It will be amazing if it even boots, let along allows me to install. I have a copy I bought a while ago which is OEM, so no key supplied, and want to use it. So I will install it, let it activate, then upgrade it to windows 10 straight away. Then I'll sign into MS, get the key stored in my account, then do a fresh install of windows 10.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. opAsx

opAsx Member

the 3300x looks promising. have a spare b350 mobo, 3200mhz ram, rx580 and a few older ssds laying about, would the 3300x be a better option than a 1600af for the money? just for shitty games the kids play (csgo/fortnite/roblox/minecraft/etc)

6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

some games dont utilise 6 cores at all. so i'd say yes to that. higher fps and no need for 6 cores.
    total war series is notoriously single threaded engine.
    plenty of others too.

bf 1 definitely uses more than 4 cores. basically if you see the cpu at 100% on all cores i dont think thats a good sign for smooth play. youll get an occasional hiccup with sticky frames.

opAsx likes this.
  7. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Here's hoping with the new consoles both having 8 core / 16 thread CPUs in them - game developers will start to prioritise multi threading in their engines/games.

adamsleath, vk2fro and Urbansprawl like this.
  8. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

With the current price of the 3300X @ $200 personally I'd stick with the 6 core parts. Unless you're really looking to go for a budget build and are definitely only going to play specific games at low res high fps (not looking to go with the latest and greatest over the next couple of years). Having slightly lower clock speed may limit your fps a tad which is not really a big deal (especially with a mid tier GPU), but if you run out of threads/overall cpu capacity you will have frame drops or stutter which can have a much more dramatic effect on game play. A 3600 is definitely the best of both worlds but costs 50% more @ $300, though for $220 you can get a 2600 or even a 1600AF (slightly lower clocked 2600) for $170. I can see the appeal, but I'd bank on more cores for a system I was going to keep for a while, especially with where it looks like game devs are heading - and that's ignoring any other use case.

9. hawkus

hawkus Member

Yeah you can get a 2600 for around the $200 mark and 6C/12T would be better imo as most games seem to be more multithreaded now and heading that way.

10. Rod M

Rod M Member

this is interesting

looks like a 2070 super is the max GPU you would want to run with a 3300X

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

My parts just rocked up. Damn the motherboard is heavy, so is the GPU. I have not started the build yet. So, in the end I ended up with:

AMD Ryzen 3700X
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360R RGB AIO
    MSI X570 Ace
    MSI 5700 Gaming X (another "couldn't justify $150 more for 10% more performance)*
    16Gb Crucial Ballistic Sport LT
    Samsung 960 EVO (from old PC) (Games or possibly mac os)
    Kingston A2000 (boot)
    Seagate 3000Gb rust whirler (from old PC) (Bulk Storage)
    Fenvi T919 Wifi (for mac os compatibility)
    Lian Li PCO11 case
    Corsair TX750i Modular PSU (from old PC)

*this card has a XT cooler on it, so it should be possible to cross flash it to XT level, and gain an additional 5% performance increase. I know you cannot unlock the 4 lasered off computer cores.

According to The Verge, I need a table - will a coffee table do ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    coolroy and Elyzion like this.
  12. www.com.au

www.com.au Member

Based Scomo

Why do no comparisons ever use the RTX 2080? I get it's not the best value but it's impossible to find running comparison videos on youtube, especially ones that compare performance now that DLSS2.0 is out. I'm thinking RTX is a much better buy atm, because we are seeing 30% reported increase in frame rates across the board, but because it's a quiet software update with virtually no advertising people are selling their second hand cards dirt cheap thinking they've been ripped off (also helps that current gen RTX games look a bit meh).

I've got an RTX 2080 on the way that I found for under 900, somehow managed to convince the girlfriend it would help me output data on my statistics program for uni faster :lol:

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

14. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Don't forget tweezers! Need tweezers to manage the cables.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd 1tb nvme for Linux, but I'm seriously pissed off at this gigabyte motherboard that I may end up just replacing it first.

15. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I struggled this evening trying to get my board to even post. No life what so ever except for the power button led on the board, and a few other scattered leds.

Always remember to check BOTH ends of the ATX cable when using a modular power supply.

After finally discovering this tiny minor issue, my board with the stock cooler came alive, and I installed windows 10.

The wraith prism actually looks quite good. Sure it defaults to rainbow unicorn puke, but its very subtle, but at throttles to the firewall, its loud. The only time I want to hear load is when I push my logitech throttles forward ;) 26C in bios and not much warmer while windows is up and running. Not bad for a stocker. I believe people when they say they are good!

I am now struggling with the AIO, trying to find the spot I like it best, where its hoses will reach comfortably, and not block any of the pretty lights on the board. They're there, so may as well show them off :p Edit: if your fitting one of these, you HAVE to fight the hoses. Intel boards are easy, but AMD is a bit trickier. The AMD stocker goes on easy, but you'll have to wrestle with the hoses on some AIO's on AMD.

The roof as an exhaust I think will be the best spot. The hoses will cross my ram but it doesn't have any blinken liten.

Windows 10 was installed and running in under 10 minutes. It just took me an hour to get there. Damn you ATX cable!! :)

edit: oh GOD these ARGB cables! never done a pc with these!!! what a delight!! (not) LOL :)

jpw007 likes this.
  16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

That random little plug not fully connect or the ol' PSU not turned on is the absolute bane of any PC build and i swear it takes more effing time finding it than building the damn thing.

vk2fro likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the power button is the worst one to not connect.
    i had half the new pc disassembled when it clicked ....

vk2fro likes this.
  18. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Done - just need to bolt in the PSU, make sure it boots, slap on the sides, and the best bit, remove all the cling film from all the componentry (I only pulled them off the chipset fan and gpu for initial testing).

Another hickup. I've been searching everywhere for my 4 screws that hold in the power supply. Sat down for a break and a smoke, and felt something in my back pocket. Am I having luck today. Out came the 4 psu screws. :)

adamsleath, RnR and MUTMAN like this.
  19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

nice specs. i want one.

MUTMAN likes this.
  20. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Its built!

Wow does it look purdy. I'll take some shots and run some benches. 3dmark and userbench.

CPU dropped to 21 under water on idle, will be checking load temperatures during benchmarks. To avoid flooding this post with build photos (it is after all a Ryzen 3000 cpu discussion thread, not a "look at my new shiny computer thread"), I'll only post a photo of the machine and just write down the scores Pre and Post flashing the GPU.

edit: User bench got "Nuclear Submarine" for gaming and UFO for Desktop and Workstation.

3dmark Time Spy netted 8338.

I have no where near optimised this machine, basically set the ram to 3600 and thats it. I have not flashed the gpu yet, still need to leave the machine overnight doing a stress test. Do not want a BSOD during gpu flashing. :p

adamsleath and MUTMAN like this.