1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Pics or it didn't happen!

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

With stock cooler?
    Mines at 47

3. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Yes, it had multiple spikes up into the 50's but settled around 34C while idling.

4. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I also use the stock cooler, idles at about 34c too. Hits max 62 degrees in aircon room.

5. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

has anyone successfully delidded and lapped a 3900x?
    im on edge on whether i should or not.

6. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Under water the 3700x hits around 45-50C. It depends. I have the bios set to control the fans by system temperature, otherwise they throttle up and down. I stuck it in a loop on one of the benchmarks, and Ryzenmaster logged it for me. Left it over night. I forget its name, as I woke up in the morning, saved the results, then tried to install macOS on it, and completely trashed boths SSD's. So back to windows. Loaded up steam, waited for 3dmark to install, then ran the benchmark. Then....

I FLASHED THE GPU!!!

It went from 8370 on time spy to 9051!

The fans rev a bit higher but the MSI 5700 Gaming X has the same thermal solution as the XT model, so no harm, no foul :)

Also, the sound on this MSI X570 ACE is incredible. My apple laptop pales in comparison.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    RnR likes this.
  7. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

very nice

im actually considering delidding and lapping one of my 3900/3950x CPU as a project, unfortunately i dont have all the tools yet.
    if anyones in melbourne and wants to help out (delidder, sand paper up to 3000/4000 grit, hand held polisher) im willing to compensate for time and effort to help me get this done.

ideally delidding both sides of the IHS.

8. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Wow, your game, delid and sand a 3950X :)

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Isn't it soldered on so there's no point?

10. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

:p

yes, technically, but still can be done, to lap it down further, better contact, etc.
    i might just start with lapping it first.

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Nothing a hot air rework station would have a problem with; nor a PCB preheater. :)

12. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

oven at 150-170 degrees and watch it pop off on its own :p
    i am going to lapp the CPU and my heatsink tomorrow (theyre both kinda roughed up from using an old batch of Kryonaut that was kind of abraisive, i got a new one that doesnt seem to have the issue). wish me luck!

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you have a metal screw-type delid tool (ie Rockit or simikar), my method would be to lightly pretension it with the tool then hit the IHS with a heatgun for awhile. As soon as it shifts a little, keep increasing the tension (slowly) whilst keeping at it with the heat gun. When it pops properly, remove the IHS promptly before the solder can solidify again.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Virtuoso X likes this.
  14. arasta

arasta Member

wow. given some of the discussion about what to buy considering the next gen consoles are going to be very similar to our setups ... i came across this last night...
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...of-that-incredible-unreal-engine-5-tech-demo/

the sense of putting the pcie4.0 nvme slot on b550 becomes very clear when you see they are streaming assets from drive to create this. yes it is a ps5 demo but given the guts of it are now basically a pc... if it is indicative of what the platforms can do when they mature then... i think intel is going to have a hell of a time trying to catch up. console to pc ports just got VERY interesting.... i do recommend reading the article as well, as they dont cover everything in the video.

coolroy likes this.
  15. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

-5 degrees at idle
    and -10 at load on my 3950x.

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

What cooling setup are you using?

17. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

air cooler, noctua with kryonaut nothing fancy.
    went up from 100, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1600, 2000 grit, didnt polish it, just kept it flat and smooth, spent 15-20 minutes on each grit (longer on 400-600 just to make sure the nickel plating is completely off)
    lapped my heatsink and my CPU.
    wouldve been nice if they had a mirror finish, but i didnt have the right tools haha.

adamsleath likes this.
  18. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Nice job. I misread your previous post and interpreted it as "ok this guys on dry ice or other sub zero setup", then this post you say air, and I'm going WTF? how is that possibly, it defies the laws of physics. Never seen a cpu get cooler when you stress it LOL!! :)

Gave my machine a hammering last night with X-plane, Far Cry 5, GTA V and to finish off Bomb Squad Academy. That last one is quite amusing, and my friend and I were taking turns in the hot seat defusing the on screen devices. Certainly not a game you'd need a RX 5700 flashed to XT speed for (heck it runs fine on the macs IGPU), thats there for FS2020.

19. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

Oh haha i mean i shaved off 5 degrees and 10 degrees by lapping the CPU and heatsink

20. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Thats some pretty awesome shit right there!!

Does this mean the new unreal engine is likely to be more optimised for AMD?