Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. arasta

arasta Member

from what i gather theres going to be a socket change 21/22 anyway, so if you bought a 3700x like i have there probably will not be much in it vs the same tier zen 3, tho i am expecting much better IPC improvement than intel were offering the last decade.... thing is irritatingly theres may still be reasons to upgrade. im seriously considering going B550 even tho i already have the mainboard and then if i do that why not zen 3 anyway ... which i was considering when i had heard of the 470 bios support change. hahah it seems i picked poor timing to get the bits together.... decisions decisions... i suppose i can keep the ram at least :shrug:

as for intel... its going to feel like a loooong year til they get to the point of being able to offer serious new hardware and not just respun current process. im not complaining :D

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I wasn't going to get an X570, on the basis that I would be able to hold out for Zen 3 and use my X470 Taichi, but changed my mind and sold the Taichi in favour of a new X570 TUF. Don't know why, but given the possibility that X470 may be hamstrung a little, probably serendipitous that I did.

I also sold my 2700X and bought a 3600, just because I wanted to at least try out Zen 2, but the 3600 was always just a placeholder, as the allure of a 12-16 core CPU is strong for me. I would however have suffered buyers remorse if I'd just bought a 3950X and then Zen 3 came along and eclipsed the Zen 2 chip.

So far, its working out well for me. I now have the option of either a Zen 2 16 core at most likely a significantly reduced price, should Zen 3 be disappointing. If Zen 3 turns out to be the ducks nuts though, I can just spend more and buy whatever I choose. Since I've upgraded my GPU to a 5700XT at the same time as i upgraded the Taichi and RX580, the CPU is the last part of the puzzle and hopefully something I'll be happy to stick with until DDR5 becomes a thing at least.

Perversely the 5700XT will be eclipsed by Big Navi appearing at the same time that Zen 3 comes along, but I can live with that. Being only a casual gamer, on games which run just fine on my old RX580, the 5700XT is really only a want, rather than a need. I can live without Big Navi for awhile.
    I actually could have stuck with the original combo, X470-2700X-RX580, which were already more than I really need. As for my 64GB of RAM, way overkill. My entire system is already way overkill, it was with the original combo and is getting more so every time I buy something new.

I liken it to a nice engagement ring.

A simple gold band with a few small stones in it looks nice and pretty tasteful.
    A 1 carat diamond is quite large, and looks pretty impressive on a ladies finger, if perhaps a bit too large (and expensive) to be tasteful.
    A 10 carat diamond looks ridiculously large and gaudy, totally lacking in taste and more about showing off than anything else.

I've moved from the simple band to the 1 carat, and I'm working towards the 10 carat :lol: When DDR5 becomes available, I guess I'll have to buy a necklace as well :lol: but I can wait for that.

nCrypt and RnR like this.
  3. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Still have the speakers in the case kev? Money for Nothing!!

i just upgraded the mrs from an i3 6100/z170n to a R5 2600 and B450 rog strix ITX, and it flies! very happy with the 2nd hand purchase.

Im still waiting for 10 gen, so i can replace my 8086/z390 (not that it needs replacing), but since that has been delayed a month, and how much im liking the the mrs r5 2600, may just not bother with intel g10 and just get Zen3 when it drops! (hey will prob do that anyway even i get gen10 intel!)

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah mate speakers are still in the case. Eva has an i3-6100 on a H270 ATX board with onboard graphics. She won't be getting upgraded anytime soon :lol: though she also has speakers and monitor built into a custom case now.

5. RnR

RnR Member

New 3000 parts coming out... the XT series... apparently...

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-39...600xt-matisse-refresh-desktop-cpus-confirmed/

Article smells... it finishes with this...
    Umm... wut?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  6. neRok

neRok Member

I reckon that confirms it's not just placebo that explains why people have been getting such good boost speeds from new 3600's lately. The quality must have improved by a decent amount to warrant selling as a new/better model.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

id agree its worded poorly but its just a typo.
    finishes the zen 2 lineup until zen 3 4000 models hit the desktop.

RnR likes this.
  8. arasta

arasta Member

i still aint, cant stand the idea of a fan on sb. thats why the b550 is so attractive, and the pcie4 storage. it should last a long while without being left behind there, i should think. i went with a 3700x but unfortunately i got old stock from mid 2019, so its unlikely to be a good clocker. i havent heard of this xt business til just now so thats just more headache for me lol i have the same card so gaming should be sorted for me , and i went with 37 on the basis that it probably will have good longevity if what we expect out of the new consoles is reflected in reality. agree that it probably will be overkill, but i want something to last me 5 years and the 470 i have certainly wont do that, the 3700 i can at least update on b550 down the track when someone suffers from upgradeitis in the FS forum lol. i had been held off from installing in my main rig for other reasons but waiting to see a good b550 with strong vrm is highly attractive right now. to build or not to build that is the question? stripping apart the water rig just to do it again a month later isnt enthusing me lol

as for the ring analogy, have you got a wedding weighing on your mind lately? lol its not quite the analogy i would have reached for i think :p

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

There might be something to this.

I just bought a 3900x a couple of days ago, and after watching and reading reviews and overclocking experiences from 2019, mine is far different. In 2019, people seemed to struggle to get 4.3 - 4.4Ghz all core and had to use 1.4v+ to get there.

Just from my tinkering so far, my 3900x happily does 4.3Ghz all core at 1.2v, 4.4Ghz at 1.3v and 4.5Ghz at 1.45v, all with an FCLK at 1900Mhz. This seems very, very different to all of those 2019 experiences, so i think AMD's binning has gotten much much better as the architecture has matured.

335 GT, RnR and darkbastard like this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was concerned about the fan, even thought about springing for the only X570 board on the market, not including the exclusive (1000 units only, worldwide) and expensive Asrock Aqua, that doesn't have one (slips my mind which one but it was a lot more expensive than the one I bought :lol: ) but it turned out to be worrying about nothing. I can't even tell if its running over the various other sounds in the case, and I run pretty quiet systems.

Thats why I sent my 5700XT Mech OC back.. fucking hot noisy POS. I've replaced it with a Nitro+ because they have a zero fan mode. My PSU also has a zero fan mode, doesn't run at all until the output reaches 500W. My PSU cooler is permanently on silent profile. I only use 140mm or larger fans, running at low speed, to keep the noise down.

I hate loud fans and stuff.

No weddings on the horizon :eek: I just thought it was a quick and simple analogy.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. hawkus

hawkus Member

Agree similar experience with my 3600X no point overclocking it as all default settings with PBO on auto it does 4.125ghz on IntelBurn Test Maximum load all cores and boosts to 4.4ghz on 4/6 of the cores.
    So no idea about the 3.8ghz base thing it never drops below 4.1ghz for anything.

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. arasta

arasta Member

ahh thats good if it doesnt make noise. i was more concerned about ultimate failure, if im holding a board for as long as i can then theres more likelihood id run into the fan fail problem. how are you supposed to replace any of these :S

do have a silent mode in my psu actually now i think of it. fans dont usually bother me noise wise as i cant hear em lol its going to be interesting when i get my shit sorted in the end as i got a pair of those corsair ML fans, which i gather arent quiet at full tilt....

and all good on the analogy thing, was just wondering lol

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the aftermarket will throw the "nb47j" equivalents up if/once a common failure occurs

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  14. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I'm yet to see the chipset fan spin up on mine.
    I suspect you would need a couple of PCIe 4 NVMe drives and hit them hard before it would start spinning. An unlikely scenario for most as your main NVMe should be connected directly to the CPU on x570

How are you liking the nitro? My fans rarely spin on that either, even when gaming.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I loved my RX580 Nitro, almost never saw the fans run on it. I bought a 5700XT Mech OC because I was impatient and the good cards were all out of stock. - Worst.GPU.Ever.
    I sent it back, got a store credit, and the good cards are now in stock. I added $80 and bought a Nitro. It was shipped this morning, looking forward to that as I am currently running a borrowed GTX760.
    I will be very happy with it, I know before I've even received it. I've had a number of Nitro's, including a Vega 56 and the recently sold RX580.

Is Nitro, is good, to paraphrase this guy.. :lol:

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

I wonder if the XT stuff is for any 4xx or older gen motherboards that won't support zen3 - still gives people an upgrade path?

17. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Let us know when you get it.

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yep such a good product that gamersnexus headlined their review with 'Do Not Buy'. In practise most people on a 10400 budget will want to save cash and get a B460 motherboard rather than z470, so will be motherboard locked to max 2666mhz ddr4, which hampers fps by as much as 20% in some games (eg hitman2, ac origins). Sure if you need an igpu it's the option until ryzen 4000 desktop APUs come out.
    upload_2020-5-25_16-5-43.png

Maldark, coolroy, MUTMAN and 3 others like this.
  20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Will do :thumbup: I can already predict it will be awesome though, I've always been a big fan of Nitro's.