Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. RnR

RnR Member

At least you are gentleman about it :D

SnooP-WiggleS, adamsleath and MUTMAN like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

CJ's hacked his account !!

coolroy and adamsleath like this.
  3. RnR

RnR Member

lol... CJ would never say sorry :p

SnooP-WiggleS, coolroy and MUTMAN like this.
  4. Supersize

Supersize Member

I just built my son a 3600/B450M Mortar Max/16GB 3200Mhz/GTX1650 system, there's no way I could of got a 10400 plus motherboard for the same price I built this for.
    Already had the GTX 1650 laying around, so it's fine for basic 1080p gaming Fortnite, Roblox etc.

I was seriously impressed how easy and trouble free the setup was, the B450 Mortar worked out of the box no BIOS upgraded needed for the 3600 though I did flash the latest after first turning on the machine, plus the ram is running at 3200Mhz, but I did buy the G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB kit.
    A far call from when I bought the 3900x/Crosshair VIII Formula system on launch, it was really flaky to the point I switched back to the 9900k.

I may try Ryzen 4000 as a upgrade to my 9900k in the future... :thumbup:

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    RnR and adamsleath like this.
  5. Phido

Phido Member

I don't think its better. But its good enough to give AMD some pressure.

AMD can't afford to get lazy or assume intel won't sell.. intel always sell even if they have an inferior product.

AMD 4000 APU's aren't even in market yet. But they will be soon.

6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

They said Do not buy because it's too expensive. And like you say, you have to pair with a more expenisive board..

A 3300X is nearly as fast in productivity loads, nearly as fast in gaming, and is far far cheaper

7. Maldark

Maldark Member

-== Intel cranks up the hype machine and releases "10th" gen. ==-

Reviewers: Well this is silly, expensive and hot. Who is this for?
    AMD: Oh, you think that looks crap now? Hold my beer.

-== AMD throws out XT series and drops prices on existing chips just because they can. ==-

I'm still a little disappointed that in the budget market, reviewers sometimes fail to mention the additional platform + heat sink cost. The entry to market is so much cheaper on the AMD side it's rediculious.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. asho444

asho444 Member

They are just rubbing sand in their dead little eyes

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

*Flashbacks to the NB fan on the ASUS A8N-SLI* Classic NB47J. Pain to install, but nice to look at!

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. Maldark

Maldark Member

From last page, sure the 10400 does appear to compete directly with the 3600 at face value based on chip price, but the B460 mobos don't exist yet, and it doesn't come with a stock cooler, even a cheap air cooler is $40

InteL: MSI Z470 Tomahawk ($399) + 10400k ($339) + Cooler ($40) = $778
    AMD: MSI B450 Tomahawk ($239) + 3600 ($329) = $568

With that extra cash you save you're now just $20 shy of getting a 3700x instead...
    AMD: MSI B450 Tomahawk ($239) + 3700x ($559) = $798

I can't see any enthusiast touching the B460 mobos anyway since they've locked overclocking. Even just basic clocking of ram to rated speed, I mean really Intel?!
    *prices from PCCG

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Supersize, MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  11. Supersize

Supersize Member

Exactly the reason I bought my son the B450 Mortar Max, that was only $179, runs the 3600 fine and runs the ram at the rated 3200Mhz, plus the included wrath cooler works perfectly.
    It's not a productivity machine, mainly gaming and online school stuff (he's 8), so the 3600 was fine for him, now with AMD supporting the B450 for one more generation of CPU's, not much of a hassle to upgrade later either.
    Now that the Ryzen platform has matured it's well and truly better value, not a single issue setting it up, it was really nice to see, This is coming from someone who's bought nothing but Intel for years... :lol:

coolroy likes this.
  12. Maldark

Maldark Member

I feel you, before my Ryzen HTPC and now this 3600 system my last AMD chip was a delidded Opteron 175 xD

I've also built 4 different Ryzen systems for friends, I did have some issues with memory on the first one (1700x) but the rest have been seemless, the value is too good to deny.

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i swore i wouldn't go AMD again when i bought the i7-2700k
    But then intel never released anything worth upgrading to, and now i've got AMD again...

14. Supersize

Supersize Member

You know if Intel keeps on this current path I'll probably end up on AMD, been seriously considering going back to a 3900x seeing I'm doing less gaming and more productivity stuff.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It arrived this morning. I've had it running for a few hours now. Its been folding, that's about the max load I'll ever have on it.

The MSI Mech OC was at well over 100° doing the same job, and screaming its heart out with fans running at nearly 3000rpm and painfully loud. I never saw it get much higher than about 1850MHz, even though it was supposed to boost to 1925. Overclocking was out of the question with those temps.

The Nitro is sitting on a nice comfy 68°, and the fans aren't even bothering to kick in. It is also running about 2063MHz, out of the box. I haven't even tried to overclock it yet, but I'll have a play with it later tonight.

Love it :thumbup:.

335 GT, adamsleath and combatant3219 like this.
  16. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Just finished building my new rig after many years enjoying the comfort of my couch and an xbox. Hello to all the familiar names

Coming from Socket 1366 to a modern architecture not to mention swapping to AMD platform, i'm little surprised with my current temps.

Ryzen 3600
    AS5 paste
    MSI Mortar B450M Max (latest bios)
    Corsair H110i V2 + 2x LL120 fans

Haven't even started to research this unfamiliar architecture to try overclocking yet however I am definitely hesitant with these temps. Seeing 45-50 idle in bios with 15-20deg ambient.

Light workload in OS (10-20% doing some basic single threaded IO tasks) its jumping into the 70's. Blender benching is pushing 85-90c.

Shitty bin? Normal for this platform? Cruddy AIO cooler? (Will be doing a custom loop after I get my head around the architecture first).

Any suggestions to better temps? undervolting?

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The problem is likely to be some pretty silly auto settings on the motherboard. Most manufacturers have tried to fudge performance crowns by applying some pretty silly auto settings, likewise AMD have done similar little tricks with BIOS.
    You need to take manual control of voltages and fan curves. Undervolting is definitely a good road to travel initially.

The only other thing I'd suggest is bad mounting or paste application, but you seem experienced enough to be able to rule that out.

Assuming the H110i is not faulty, the cooler is more than sufficient for a 3600. Is the pump working properly?

AMD binning is pretty consistent, most chips perform and cool similarly. AMD chips are also known to see regular spikes in volts and temps, but they are usually only transitory. Part of how their boost system works. Would you say that you are averaging those temps, or are they simply spikes?

18. Bert

Bert Member

Yeah, agreed. That iGPU is worth every penny when gaming. :lol:

19. Maldark

Maldark Member

It's pretty normal, AMD really cranks the voltage up and down very quickly whenever a core is boosting, this can happen even when your system is "idle" just takes one small process for it to boost.

I was a little worried at first, so I just went in and applied a -0.05V offset to the cpu to bring it down a couple of degrees. With the reduced heat it actually boosts more reliably and consistently, so worth a go.
    I just sold our 2500k and 2600k systems at corona prices. I replaced my old 2500k rig with this 3600, I'm waiting for the 4xxx series to replace the other. I'm kinda in a weird situation where we're back living with my partners parents after a year overseas so having one less PC isn't actually a problem especially since we got a nice gaming laptop. Playing the waiting game with baited breath, got my eyes on whatever crazyness the 4900x comes out with.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  20. kogi

kogi Member

Same setup, air cooling. mine is doing the same thing. I am seeing it constantly boost to 4200mhz while idle accompanied by a rise in heat.

Under prime95 100% fan it sits on 74

Last edited: May 27, 2020