1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I believe the Corsair iCUE or whatever it's called is a major culprit of CPU spikes at idle also fyi

2. Supersize

Supersize Member

I found the same, I went back to Corsair link sofware, set all the RGB, let the motherboard control the fans/pump and uninstalled the software.
    Running the Corsair link for all my case fans which saves the settings to the box, where iCue didn't I had to have it running all the time, dropped Cinebench scores when running, a good 400 points.

3. Maldark

Maldark Member

It's normal dude, here's my 3600 with a -0.05V undervolt under a Corsair H100 240mm rad on a pretty quiet setting:
    [​IMG]

4. hawkus

hawkus Member

Can you add some more hard drives as well

hellaflush and s4Rg3 like this.
  5. Maldark

Maldark Member

16Tb ain't not enough I tells ya
    Sorry, must have looked at the wrong temp, that is a bit high, the voltage/frequency behaviour is normal though. On idle mine bounces around 3.9-4.2 and ~1.4V. It's mainly the way AMD reports voltage, they really crank it into the single core that's boosting for quick response and maximum performance.

You're temps are cooked though, If you're using the icue software try bipassing that and just hooking the fans to your motherboard then setting a fan speed profile in the bios, that's what I did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    hellaflush likes this.
  6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Still haven't looked at undervolting for my 3900X yet. Wouldn't mind seeing what i can achieve

7. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from apisak, soz is repost

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

0nm i didnt realise TSMC were so far advanced

:)

9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Those 2 look beastly, maybe time to offload my 3900x...

MUTMAN likes this.
  10. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

nextgen is -1nm. quite costly tho as the hadron collider can only smash so many atoms

combatant3219, jjjc_93 and MUTMAN like this.
  11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Wow there's something very off there - your min idle temp is 58c and 66c at 7% utilisation. Few things to check:

1. Download Ryzen Master and use that to check temps. HWINFO is notoriously bad at reading Ryzen temps.
    2. Kill all background tasks to see what it actually idles at without any applications running apart from Ryzen Master (including your Corsair app).
    3. Check your AIO is working (your fan speed is reading 0 rpm in your screenshot)
    4. Download AMD chipset drivers directly from AMD's website, and then select the 'Ryzen Balanced' power plan that will appear in your Windows power plan options
    5. Repaste your AIO, checking for poor contact spots when you remove it

I have a 3900x overclocked on a 280mm AIO that idles at 30c and maxes out at 63c under all-core load. Your temps are not ok.

hellaflush likes this.
  12. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

just picked up a 3900x.

picking up x570 impact and wc gear on friday!

should be fun!

will give the 3900x to the mrs when the zen3 drops in Dec!

museumman, OJR, jpw007 and 3 others like this.
  13. Supersize

Supersize Member

Just checked the temps on my sons 3600 with wrath cooler using cpu-z bench, it hit 86c, then I did a negative voltage offset of -0.050, dropped the temps down to 79c and increased the scores.

If I did that on the 3900x I had it would bluescreen straight away, it hated negative offsets.

Maldark and RnR like this.
  14. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Just finished some gaming. It appears as though hottest it reached was 90.5c @ 45% max CPU utilisation (1.45v / 4.2ghz) whilst i was in-game.

Way ahead of you on some of those points (I will attack points 1 and 2 tomorrow)

3. If i change the corsair profile on the fan from quiet to anything else (balanced or extreme) i notice that the RPM reading shows as 0 more often than actually giving a reading (fans are indeed running though). I feel like its a software thing
    4. did that earlier tonight. Ryzen balanced drops the constant boost clock under sub 20% utilisation to 4.05ghz instead of 4.10. Voltage comes down just a smidge but pretty much keeps boosting. I can set it to power saver and obviously voltage drops dramatically and it caps the CPU at like 2.6ghz. Temps drop a fair bit obviously
    5. going to pull it off and check tomorrow, i feel that it should be fine though

Really my issue does seem to be that this thing is constantly boosting and putting 1.3-1.4v constantly.

AIO coolant temp is sitting at about 46deg. Going to be calling corsair in a tick to have a chat with them as i feel that it could be exacerbating the issue further.

ultimately i need this cpu to stop being permaboosted but also not handicapped

15. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    So I sat for the last few days awaiting my package from newegg. Decided to roll down to Bunnings to grab a scroll saw, drill press and a few other bits. Got home and Mrs Museumman was at the door smiling her titties off.. Guess what came for you while you were out she says..

So now Im sitting here with a desk rig after having my first hit at BF in a year and a bit, setup and shakedown somewhat. Checking it all functions before I block it up and bathe it in glorious water..

Ryzen 3700X
    Aorus X570 Pro WiFi
    Teamgroup Xtreem 4x8GB 4133 C18 B Dies
    5700XT Reference GPU w/LinkUp PCIe 4.0 Riser cable
    Corsair MP600 500GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 drive
    Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2
    Corsair RMi750 PSU
    and a nice new LG 32GK850F 1440p 144Hz Monitor.

Have only booted to set up memory which is running at 3600mhz 14-14-14-14-32 and am really looking forward to having a scratch around and tweaking this thing up a bit. I must say this is a pretty snappy little bit of kit. Ryzen has started to mature nicely.

OJR likes this.
  16. TaroT

TaroT Member

well... i was close so no cigar only a pall mall :) as for me i am waiting for the 550's to drop and see prices(i am partail to the 550 taichi since i have the 399 version and love it) and see if the xt tweaked chips are dropping or zen whatever it is...4? who knows but *when* they drop there will be more cuts... same with big navi... this is the best time to sit on your ass and wait(as for upgrading from a 9900k to anything intel seems like a huge waste of money to me(assumming the chips are in stock....)

17. OJR

OJR Member

1.3 and 1.4 is perfectly fine. I very much doubt it’s these voltage spikes causing your temp issues.

18. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Good luck - there's no way you should be hitting 90c during gaming with an AIO on a stock processor.

Re. the voltage spikes to 1.4v that's normal Ryzen behaviour for low-load low-core usage. If it's constantly sitting at 1.4v at high-load multi-core workloads than that's not right and it might be a shitty motherboard bios config. On an all-core full load, Ryzen will step down its voltage significantly.

Many 'performance' oriented boards will come defaulted with PBO and auto-OC enabled. So depending on how the bios is configured, it could be setting VID/voltage too high. It's not uncommon. I remember when the 7700k's first launched and initial motherbios bioses were defaulting to 1.4v+ when they only needed 1.2 or lower at stock.

19. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

I'm considering an upgrade to a B550 ITX and 3600XT or 3800XT combo when they are released.

Will my NZXT X31 be good enough to keep the CPU cool? It's been fine for my i5 @ 4.5Ghz for the last few years. Though, I'll have to see if I am eligible for an AM4 bracket first!

20. neRok

neRok Member

I have a feeling there is a bios setting that can make it stay at 100% too. Maybe that's impacting it. If you've installed latest bios, perhaps go in and reset all settings to default, set your XMP profile for the RAM, and boot like that. See what it does in windows with full default settings.

But grab a screenshot from ryzen master first. See what your CPU power, TDC and EDC are doing at idle. As I'm typing this on power saver plan, my CPU is ~0.5W, TDC on 0%, and EDC on 1%.