1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

Just a tip guys, if you are hunting for little CPU eaters, built in windows task manager sucks as it rounds down to the nearest whole number... Useless in today of multi threaded apps and multicore CPU's.

get process explorer, and see all those background tasks using 0.84% of your CPU
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

hellaflush and MUTMAN like this.
  2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Let the fun begin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

glnn_23, hellaflush, jjjc_93 and 6 others like this.
  3. Maldark

Maldark Member

If you're going to reseat the cooler anyway, throw the stock one on and see what happens. That'll at least let you know whether it's the AiO or not.
    The XT series will likely come with a higher TDP so nobody will really know until reviews are out :S

hellaflush likes this.
  4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Quoting this in case anyone has guidance as to which one is correct for an EKWB cpu block? I think i run the supremecy, but i can't for the life of me remember how it mounts

5. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

[​IMG]

Current idle with Ryzen master now.

I have performed a -0.05v offset in bios which tbh hasn't really shown much of a difference temp wise (with the fluctuations its hard to tell without logging if its actually dropped the voltage down a step for me). Current powerplan in OS is Ryzen Balanced.

The good news is, Corsair agree that it seems as though the AIO pump has an issue and have offered a replacement (unfortunately as the h100i v2 is discontinued, they've offered me one of the newer replacements, but I am pushing for them to try and find some new old stock of a h100i v2 or similar as the new blocks aesthetically look like ass)

Going to attempt re-seating the cooler/comparing to the stock cooler tomorrow and will check the original contact of the TIM tomorrow (back to my uni assignment for the rest of today)

Made a pass of Cinebench R20 just now to see what it would do thermally. Peaked at 92c and got a score of 3320. I noticed that the CPU only clocked to 3.9ghz under 100% util compared to the spikes to 4.2ghz at idle, i assume that it would be throttling due to thermals?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. RnR

RnR Member

7. neRok

neRok Member

I would say so. Try the stock air cooler like someone else suggested.

8. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Well that's good news - so it seems like it's just your AIO that's rooted.

To make sure, i would try what Maldark suggested and chuck on the stock cooler to see how it performs. It's not bad and should keep well under 90c in a CR20 run.

9. Maldark

Maldark Member

3.9 all core boost is typical. You'll only ever see the 4.2 for short periods in bursty lightly threaded loads. Everything you've shown us is just the 3600 acting perfectly normally.

10. neRok

neRok Member

11. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

So my curiousity got the better of me and i pulled the block off. The AS5 distribution was pretty good however I did notice that the EN in ryzen was visible on the lid (may have just been that the paste came off as i removed the block). Cleaned everything thoroughly and this time i tinted the block face before mating it back to the CPU (noticed some decent marks on it and tinting used to work back in the day?!)

Fresh boot out of the gate I am idling at 48c. Cinebench R20 multi-threaded pass jumped up 75 points (3395) and temps didnt get above 80.5c. I seemed to have found 12-15c somewhere through reapplication (maybe an air pocket who knows). Do these temps seem more reasonable now? The only other change ive made is unchecking the bios smart fan curve and just letting the AIO do its thing whether that makes a difference or not.

Temps still aren't what I would expect with a 240mm AIO though, so will persevere with Corsair and hopefully, they can find some old stock to replace this one.

neRok don't say that :(

12. stiben

stiben Member

I'm also in Brisbane but with a 3700X. If my idle temps are 33C then under full load with Cinebench R20 they peak at 70C and 4.15 GHz all cores with PBO the only mobo setting. That is with a Noctua air cooler.

13. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

3.9Ghz at 80c is completely normal at stock settings. You're losing some speed due to temps, as they can turbo up to 4 - 4.1Ghz all core at lower temps.

80c in Cinebench is better, but still high - especially given it's on a 240 AIO. I'd be expecting to see no more than 70c. The stock 3600 cooler wil hit 80c in all-core blender/cinebench, while a 280 AIO around 60c at stock (assuming a reasonable ambient temp) - so there's still something off.

1. Have you updated your motherboard BIOS?
    2. Is PBO/Auto-OC turned on in your BIOS?
    3. How's your case airflow?

14. neRok

neRok Member

Try the air cooler!

Because just thinking now, heat from the CPU was obviously making it into the water cooler, that's why the fluid temp was high. It is getting the heat out of the cooler that's the problem, either because it can't get it out fast enough (too much going in), or it just can't get it out. Too much you should have addressed with the power plan, so now I think you're stuck with a dud cooler. Have you checked all the USB and power connections for the cooler? Have you got the USB to the CPU1 or CPU_PUMP or similar fan header? Maybe your cooler has suffered some evap and has an air pocket, and maybe you can fix that by running PC on different angles for a while?

Lol. Nah, like cbwolf says, the CPU is running as expected considering the temp conditions it finds itself in. If you get the temp sorted, you should get the good numbers.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  15. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

I was thinking of seeing if rotation would show an air pocket, although being an AIO I was doubting the probability (could always blame myself with a custom loop at least). Still waiting on Corsair's response

Heat chasing is taking a backseat for today's malarkey. After reseating the cooler last night I started getting bsods. Seems as though my problems have now extended to either a dud stick of ram that has suddenly decided to soft fail or a faulty dimm slot in the motherboard. So far I've tested 2 sticks and 2 slots which are good. Now to see if it's one of the other sticks. Failing that, it's a dimm and motherboard goes for RMA. Oh how I've missed PC's

16. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

17. RnR

RnR Member

[​IMG]

Fixed... I think... you need to grap the url of the image, rather than the page... :)

I just see an [​IMG]

zoki_007, OJR, MUTMAN and 4 others like this.
  18. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

cheers. doing it from my phone haha.

Caselabs Mercury S3 ITX!

3900x/xhair impact 2 rads cpu and gpu block!

woohoo. see how it goes!

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  19. RnR

RnR Member

Your weekend is now fully booked :D

MUTMAN and nCrypt like this.
  20. Snoops

Snoops Member

Haha weekend?

That's at least a month once he starts playing around with overclocking.... Then just decides too: XMP + PBO + 1800FCLK hehehe

MUTMAN and nCrypt like this.