Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

be couple hours for the build.

just removed air cooler on gtx2080 super!

going to do a build log for the ITX section

will play around for a bit! who knows how long!

2. RnR

RnR Member

Groovy... love itx systems!

3. Snoops

Snoops Member

Hehehe; Good luck!, cheers.

4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

caselabs mercury s3 itx.

had done 4 previous watercooling builds with the matx s5 and eatx s8. love their cases!

5. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Lol did you grab that off FB? I just messaged the guy :(

nCrypt likes this.
  6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

nah. already had the s3 itx.

but i did message the guy on facebook, abd yes i did buy it haha. mrs gunna get an s3 as well haha

MUTMAN and raincloudx like this.
  7. Rod M

Rod M Member

just upgraded from a 1700 to 3600 on a B350 board,

my CPU and GPU on a WC custom loop with the 1700 usually sitting at approx 2deg more than the GPU (2x 360mm rads) after gaming for a while and temps are stabilized,

e.g 1700: 53deg 980TI: 51deg

now with exactly the same setup the 3600 sits at least 20deg more than the GPU:

e.g 3600: 71deg 980TI: 51deg

I am also having stupid memory issues that I have put in this thread: 3600 on b450 board with 3200 memory- tricks to cool stable-ness

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Until I get the next iteration of my wooden case built, I've found it necessary to switch my Nitro+ 5700XT to the bottom (x8 PCIE4) slot on my motherboard. The Nitro+ backplate does a fantastic job as a heatspreader.. so much that given its only a couple of cm from my Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler, it was actually affecting CPU temps.

I have a cunning plan in mind to provide much better airflow in that area in the new case, which should solve the issue and let me swap them back again. My motherboard is horizontal, if it were vertical it could have been a real issue I think, I would most likely have had to opt for an AIO on the CPU eventually.

Still might have to when I stick a 4000 series 16 core in it, and the GPU back where it belongs. Not because the Dark Rock can't handle the CPU temps, but because of the added load of the GPU heat.

I had my Asus Sonar Essence STX sound card in the x8 slot (it was just convenient to have had it in the x8 slot originally, gave plenty of room between components for airflow, but it really only needs a x1 slot), so I've moved that to the x16 and moved the GPU to the x8.

It won't make squat difference to the GPU in terms of bandwidth, given its a PCIE4 slot, but it feels kinda wierd placing the cards arse about like that.

Its dropped CPU temps on my R5-3600 by 20°. Switching them around has had zero effect on the GPU in any way.

Doing this means that now the fan side of the GPU is only 3cm from the intake fan on my HX1000i PSU. Doesnt seem to matter'to either the GPU or the PSU though, both are running on zero fan mode most of the time. The PSU fan just never comes on, I find myself pressing the fan test button regularly just to be sure, but it doesn't come on until load reaches 500W, which just doesn't happen on my rig.

The GPU fans fire up every now and then, to 50%, but that's on like 80% load at 2150MHz, folding. I have my GPU fan curves set so that the fans don't fire up until the GPU hot spot hits 65° and that doesn't happen often. Gotta love that massive Nitro+ cooling solution :thumbup:.

The backplate gets quite warm, I can hold my fingers on it without feeling the need to take them away because its TOO hot, but it's definitely pretty toasty for a backplate. At a guess, 55+° ?
    I see that as good design, many of the 5700XT's have silly plastic backplates that don't acting as heatsinks and actively increase temps by holding the heat in, compounding what is already pretty weak design.
    MSI Mech OC, I'm looking at you.... :mad:.

One issue I'm not sure how to address, or if I should even bother, is that with the big Nitro+ card in the top x16 slot (which it isn't right now but that's certainly the plan long term) the X570 chipset fan is completely obscured and has no more than a couple of mm clearance from the GPU, so I'm not sure how well that's going to cool at all with any kind of load on it.

Anyways, TL;DR, since this is the 3000 series CPU thread, not a GPU thread.. temps at 100% all core (locked at 4200MHz, folding) with a bequiet!! Dark Rock Pro 4 in a poorly optimised (as yet) case are now down to about 55° at 23° (ish) ambient on my R5-3600.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    museumman and pH@tTm@N like this.
  9. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

have my 3900X up and running custom loop in my caselabs mercury s3

have 2 rads (280mm/240mm), with my GTX2080 Super with ek block.

as of now my GPU on max load sits around 45-46 degrees.

however my CPU, sits from 30 degrees and spikes up to 65, back to 50, up to 60, down to 40.

Going to overclock the CPU and set the frequency, see if that makes temps more consistent, all this turbo boost shit annoys me, just want a 4ghz 12 core, not a ill change your frequency for you to save heat and power bullshit, thats not for me!

10. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Yep i found the voltage spikes annoying too.

Just stick it at 4.3Ghz all core at 1.25v and see if it's stable, and then leave it.

Make sure that you allow the frequency/voltage to throttle down as normal though. There's a lot of talk about chip degradation at constant voltages (even though i think a constant 1.25v would be fine).

11. glnn_23

glnn_23 Member

I think the best way to clock with a set voltage is to find what the weakest ccx is stable at then see what speed the others will run at because there can be quite a difference. It is a waste to run all cores the same speed.

12. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    MUTMAN and adamsleath like this.
  13. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Very nice, looking forward to the 3900XT

14. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Looks good but I hope it doesn't mean 4000 series has been pushed to 2021.

pH@tTm@N and Ratzz like this.
  15. RnR

RnR Member

The only official statement on the matter is 'late 2020'.

Edit - source - https://twitter.com/AMDNews/status/1255251304890478596 - which now that I read it again, only says 'launch'... which could be a paper launch I guess.

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

prices are being affected by the trump tariffs also. there are supply issues with some pc hardware in the united states.
    not turning this political. just saying.

17. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

GN had some reasons for shortage. Not so political...

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

covid? hmmm.
    bulk shipping issues is mentioned.

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I'm now pretty certain that the 'XT' has already been shipping and is just better binned CPUs.

I've been playing a bit more with my 3900x i bought 2 weeks ago, and i've now got it stable at 4,525Mhz all core. That's basically unheard of 12 months ago on air/aio, where many people struggled to hit 4.2 - 4.3Ghz all core.

nCrypt and RnR like this.
  20. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

I will definitely be replacing my 3900x with a 3900XT. I like the higher base clock and the possibilities of higher boost.

Watch this space sale thread for a 3900x coming soon...........