1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I don't see the point only a few months away from a brand new generation launch.

Ratzz likes this.
  2. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Whilst I agree 100% I will probably upgrade the 3900x - will upograde the 3950x when the next gen hits.

Its my hobby.....

nCrypt, RnR and p3t0r like this.
  3. neRok

neRok Member

I've briefly thought about downgrading from 3900X to 3600-something. I'm not putting the cores to use most of the time, and I bought it for a ripper deal, so I might be able to flip for a profit and be in a great position for the next gen. As a secondary computer, a 3600 level CPU should be usable for at least 10 years. I would still be using a 10 year old AM2 HTPC if my FX8350 wasn't doing that task, because even that old system manages 1080 content fine.

4. Bert

Bert Member

I agree. I like the 3900XT idea, but I think we're too close to Ryzen 4000 to justify it.

nCrypt likes this.
  5. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

wont be tempted by the XT range, but may be tempted by a 2nd hand 3700x/3900x for the mrs :p (eventhough plan is to give her my 3900x and get a 4000 chip when released!

havnt enjoyed using AMD since S939 x2 4400+ and Am2 6400+ BE cpu's!

6. RnR

RnR Member

MUTMAN and pH@tTm@N like this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

too funny :thumbup:

8. OJR

OJR Member

9. miicah

miicah Member

RnR likes this.
  10. RnR

RnR Member

They should be embarassed now.

The fact that this statement came from the top of the Intel hierarchy suggests to me that either a) they have given up competing with AMD in the short term, or b) that the top floor of Intel is suffering from brainrot and needs to be retired.

Jim Keller in charge of Intel scares me as an AMD fanboi :)

11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Benchmarks and claims from vendors themselves I have always taken with a grain of salt - bs marketing at work. I highly doubt they will be able to convince reviewers to put their benchmarks away when they get their samples. Even if they do make it a condition then it will just be the retail launch that gets benchmarked and posted up. Pretty weak statement.

12. Dunska

Dunska Member

New AMD Chipset drivers - 2.04.28.626

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Supports:

Windows® 7/10 for
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    AMD X470 Chipset
    AMD X370 Chipset
    AMD B450 Chipset
    AMD B350 Chipset
    AMD A320 Chipset
    Windows® 10 only for
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors
    3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
    AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
    AMD X399 Chipset
    AMD X570 Chipset
    AMD TRX40 Chipset

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
    AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)

hellaflush, stiben, museumman and 4 others like this.
  13. vitagen

vitagen Member

i'm just waiting for 4th gen... but this 3300x has far exceeded my expectations

14. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

3300X worth it as a stop-gap until the Zen 3 CPU's surface?

15. arasta

arasta Member

Buildzoid blabbers on for over an hour :p tho to be fair; he did have a stack of boards to go through in the Asrock lineup...

its interesting that it seems Asrock put a whole lot more effort into these boards than z490. theres one or two stinkers but for the most part they are pretty good, i suppose that asrock expects z490 to not be a big thing? or that payoff for working with intel for the first set of socket1200 chips wasnt there so they just went meh...? whatever the case they seem to be pitching on B550, and i cant say i blame em.

anyway the taichi is just loaded with the fruit and the second string boards look very interesting; where the pricing shakes out with these is what i really want to know at this point. there are a few rather weird design decisions; like the matx board actually being a better choice than the full atx board...(!) i am not a matx guy but i can see there might be some interesting compact builds to come out of that part of the stack. some interesting points and queries raised despite the video length. at this point, of the boards ive seen so far the design decisions asrock have made make them the most likely for me to go with if i go B550. my current board does have a 32mb rom so it should be good for the 4th gen beta bios, so holding out for the next socket is doable. but i could definitely be tempted....

RnR likes this.
  16. Phido

Phido Member

Man I find buildzoid hard to listen to, while he knows about electrical and components, hes no expert of thermals, system design and other issues.
    The B550 clearly aren't budget boards, the top tier B550 are *WAY* better than the low/mid end x570. Better networking, better power, better ram, better i/o. These are nice boards. Wifi 6, 2.5Gb lan, good M2 slots etc.

The lower end B550 are pretty cheap, but generally not too bad.

I think buildzoid goes overboard with power and thermals. Ryzen 4000 is expected to be better than Ryzen 3000. b550 boards are most likely to operate with 4000 series CPU's. How many are going to pair a $1000 16 core CPU with a $60 board and then complain about VRM thermals. The B550m HDV is pretty terrible, but is unlikely to be commonly fitted with top end CPU's. This is I guess the problem when you have AM4 run right from $50 CPU's to $1000 CPU's. Good problem to have, would prefer that that deliberately making things incompatible.

However it is pleasing to see a decent mATX board with:

2.5Gb ethernet
    10 phase
    2 x M2 slots
    10 USB inc 2x Gen2
    ECC
    128GB ram support
    good adio 5 outputs plus spdif
    6x sata
    Quality build generally.

Compare that to the z490, the only matx board has no io shield 6 usb, 3 audio out, GB ethernet, 4 sata

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Phido really curious if you could provide commentary on the below for me.

I have an ASUS X570-F board. I use all the M.2 slots. Does B550 offer the same or better quality at the same price point or less?

I find it really interesting you've said about the top tier B550 being way better than low and mid tier X570, and tbh as much as I love this stuff i'm a bit shit and telling the quality of technical stuff as it's beyond my understandings at this point in time. (i'd like 2.5Gb ethernet though, but i know my modem is 1Gb max for it's router ports and my NAS is the same but it has 2 ports where as i only have 1 on current mobo)

335 GT likes this.
  18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Do you notice much of a hit with your second NVMe?

Thinking of getting another one too.
    Got one 970 evo plus going direct to the CPU.

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Me?

First is the evo and no issues, it's super fast. 2nd is just a sata m.2 iirc. I don't benchmark them etc but ever day use is always great

20. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I was just wondering whether it's worth paying for another super fast drive to run through the chipset.

I might follow your lead, save some cash and get a good bottle of single malt with the change.

jpw007 likes this.