1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i got a 1800x and crosshair when it first came out in 2017, and it was horse shit then.

Now no issue at all, rock solid, and the ram kits i have also were used intel builds before these 2 AMD builds.

In situation like yours, i had a similair issue once, were i could not for the live of me get stablity on ANY system, ended up being a power board that was failing. Maybe not your PC at all!

2. Phido

Phido Member

Very happy with my 3700x and Gigabyte B450I Aorus Pro Wifi. 32Gb @ 3000 ram, HP 920 SSD 1Tb, MSI 1060 3Gb.
    I love having a Mitx board with this much ram and this many cores. Weakness of the system is the 1060, its noisey and underpowered. I only have 1080p screens connected to it.

The only issue I had was for some reason I lot all my bios settings (bios update?) and when I went to reconfigure the system I manually set the xmp speed but the voltage stayed at the low voltage spec, which caused frustrating occasional blue screen crashes for about a week until I went and and reconfigured.

I have my wife using my old 4790k setup and she hates it. Doesn't feel any where near as quick and responsive as this.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  3. RnR

RnR Member

My brother is still rocking his 1600X on a X370 board and FlareX ram (so many X's) that I built for him. Zero issues in the two years its been running.

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. XeKToReX

XeKToReX Member

I couldn't in good conscience sell it to someone as is.

I can prime it, memtest it and furmark it all fine.. sometimes it will just slow to a halt and lock up even just browsing the web, I can't pinpoint it.

That's a very good point, I should try another PSU but I've cleared all of my old stuff out and have nothing over 450W here now.. I'll see if I can find something, might remove cable extensions too and see if that helps.

Others (including friends who I have built AMD PC's for) have had no issues at all, it's just mine!

That's a top idea, I'm going to rip it all down tonight I'll put my UPS in line and see if that fixes it.

Glad you guys have had a better experience than me!

Thanks for the tips everyone, given me more to think about!

Glad I got frustrated and made a rant post :)

coolroy and RnR like this.
  5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

I picked a C6H from a forum member, who struggled getting his 3700X to work with it and had to upgrade to X570 to get stability..

When I mated the C6H with Ryzen 3600, the machine was pretty shocking.. (posted on the forums about it).. it took almost 4-6 months of bios updates to get the board stable with the Ryzen 3000 cpus.. which it is now..

Many early adopters of AMD stuff.. CPU / Graphics etc have these issues... Usually they eventually get fixed..

switching the PSU around is worth a try as indicated above..

My test bench power supply a 550W Antec Neo.. which I have used for years..
    Couldn't reliabilty boot a R5E, with certain sticks of ram / video cards.. This power supply has booted dozens and dozen of boards (including other X99 boards).. Switched in a corsair 500W.. and absolutely everything works fine..

The Antec power supply, now powers a Ryzen AM4 board and 1600AF and GTX1060, without any issues.. strange things can happen...!!!

coolroy and nCrypt like this.
  6. asho444

asho444 Member

It's funny I have a mate with a x370 strix and he upgraded to 3700x very early on and had near no issues.

But now I'm running a b450 aorus poo and a 2600 that crashes on windows load on the first cold boot every day. Finally turned off all the over clocks to see if it is the issue, next will be replacing ram :(

7. OJR

OJR Member

8. XeKToReX

XeKToReX Member

100% - Need to find a PSU to borrow after I test from a different power point/with UPS.

It's so strange.. I had the Asrock X370 ITX board and it was a nightmare.

I might even put the enegery monitor on it and load some games to see if I could get away testing the 450W on it.

I did run a 290X and OC'd i5 on a 430W before...

9. OJR

OJR Member

I use my 3950X machine for work. Had a 3700X in it before. Both bulletproof. 0 issues.

10. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Really the only legitimate issue with AMD was with memory speed compatibility (e.g. running Hynix memory at XMP 3200), especially in earlier generations. If you're having stability issues out of the box, there must be a fault somewhere. You have replaced the motherboard, CPU, motherboard, RAM, GPU, SSD, so the issue is likely elsewhere. Since you have done a fresh OS install, it really only leaves power delivery... Does it do it in any other game/software?

edit: also I see in your sig you're running 3800C14, that's pretty hardcore... Have you tried at JEDEC default for comparison? Even if you're 24hr memtest stable, that FCLK is on the absolute brink so you might still be getting intermittent data fabric errors. I've had this before both when I had SLI and with 10GBE+RAID0.

With SLI I was memtest stable at 3600C16 but had crashes in game due to fabric (Zen+) dropping to 3400 fixed the issue.

With 10GBE+RAID0 my server used to crash with heavy network+drive utilisation despite being memtest stable, I was running everything completely stock (2133 JEDEC) in a cheapo Asrock B350 Pro4 motherboard (which at the time didn't have manual SoC adjustment) on early AGESA. In the end I swapped to RAM with an XMP profile so that the SoC voltage automatically increased which fixed the issue. I haven't had an issue since, and now it has manual SoC voltage adjustment anyway.

The motherboard was at fault here, as it was running the SoC voltage lower than recommended at JEDEC memory settings, which wasn't enough for the fabric under heavy load.

coolroy and MUTMAN like this.
  11. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

My b450 and 3900x have been great. VRM limits the max clock slightly but it's still fast as fuck

handled my ram sticks from my old skylake build just fine

12. Sledge

Sledge Member

Swapped out SATA cables?
    I had similar issues with my i7 build till i did that.. must have been faulty cable

check event viewer to see what's going on?

13. XeKToReX

XeKToReX Member

Sometimes just randomly in Windows, I can furmark, memtest and prime95 it and it doesn't do it like it does in COD

I haven't, no, but it's running an NVMe SSD for OS and the game itself.

I moved the game to my SATA SSD to test last night and same thing.

Thanks for the idea though, I may as well try it!

14. OJR

OJR Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. asho444

asho444 Member

Hmm sata cables, one of my clips is slightly broken on the side, the drive works fine but I might try changing or just disconnecting the trouble one

16. neRok

neRok Member

Mine had issues like that. I think what was happening is that it would get stuck with the multiplier on the minimum, so everything would either crash or slow down to a crawl. I found some hints that it could be voltage related, so I changed my LLC settings to medium in the bios, and I've not had that problem since.

17. XeKToReX

XeKToReX Member

That's really interesting, I might give that a go too!

Lots to try tonight.

darkbastard and coolroy like this.
  18. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Sorry if it's already been discussed - but have you installed the latest chipset drivers directly from the AMD website? I was having instability with my 3900x until i installed the chipset drivers.

19. sic_vl2000

sic_vl2000 Member

Got a 3700X and it's not overclocked, currently is at 80% CPU usage but the temp seems to be sitting around 81, is this normal for a Ryzen 3700X?

20. XeKToReX

XeKToReX Member

Yeah pretty much the first thing I do, thanks for the tip though regardless!