Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I feel like investing in any less than 6 cores if you want to keep it more than 2 years is ill-advised

3600 (non x) is the undisputed value king at the moment.

chook, RnR and Hotrod2go like this.
  2. kogi

kogi Member

Rare random reboots in games, Could be heat related.
    Annotation 2020-08-31 162634.png

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16

Symptom of bad ram? Bad cpu with low FCLK?

3. RnR

RnR Member

Or bad psu. I would expect a bad cpu to give more errors than just the rare gaming reboot.

Pick the low hanging fruit - check gaming temps, reseat cables and ram, swap out psu if possible, run ram test overnight.

kogi likes this.
  4. neRok

neRok Member

Also I would change the load line calibration (LLC) settings in bios for your CPU to at least medium, maybe even high. Mine is happier with an increased setting from normal.

kogi likes this.
  5. Recharge

Recharge Member

must check BIOS for said setting, since the latest Asus x570 gamer bios update I've been getting crashes in fallout 4, see if that changes anything.

edit:
    after a few days I finally remembered and elevated the setting to 3 (out of 5)
    and Fallout 4 has stopped crashing.

yay for the win.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. TaroT

TaroT Member

well i bit the bullet and sidegraded to a msi 570 tomahawk a 3900x and a bytski block...jury is out on that one..my one issue is the stupid bios i hate it(shoot me down i don't care but i so much prefer the bios on my x399 taichi) if i try and drop the voltage down from 1.47...i mean what the hell...it locks the clocks up to 3.7 just doing that...and the fans....driving me nuts :) can't find a happy medium.

now sayign all that it is snappier and a fair bit quicker in something but in others the 1950x either beats it or pretty much keeps up.

main reason is being setup for the new zens so i can just drop it in.
    memory is another thing i am guessing 4 stick is is not the best but i really liked my flarex kit, i have it puddling along at 3333 14 etc thats fine..but try 3600 with any settings and blam, the old samsung b die tema extremes work though(just not much of a difference in performance for half the ram.

now be gentle i have been x399 for three years this is my first real jump in the big pond :) oh and why not a 3950x...after weeks of deciding i couldn't throw the extra $450 at just the chip....so who here has this typ of setup and some ideas for me to try

darkbastard likes this.
  7. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

hey dudes, I'm planning a build and I reckon the 3600 would be sufficient for my purposes (gaming and work) for now.

I'm aware of the 4000 series coming out 'soon' and also don't plan on another upgrade for at least 4-5 years... I'm also not planning on overclocking either as I'll be doing an ITX build so limited somewhat on thermals.

So... Do you's reckon it's worth getting a 3600 'XT' now, or possibly just get the 3600 and wait and see what comes in the 4000? I know there isn't a massive difference between the 3600 and the XT, possibly not worth the extra $100 or so and was thinking of using that $$ towards some good case fans instead.

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Wait till 4 series and watch the 3600 dump in price :)

Might be able to get a 3700 for what the 3600 costs now

9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

If you are not planning to upgrade for another 4-5 years surely you can hold on a little longer to see what is going to be on offer in a couple of months? At worst you'll get people like me selling their 3000 chips cheaply for the sake of an upgrade :lol:

I would just get the 3600 and bank the $100 if you have to have it now. My 3700x runs pretty cool in my itx build too so you may well be able to play with some tweaking.

10. asho444

asho444 Member

3600 for sure itf your not overclocking.
    get some nice quite fans instead.
    i have the 3600 in my gaming / work PC and it works a treat.

11. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

oh yeh? What case and cooler you running? Got temps?

haha I’m feeling impatient about waiting for the 4000 as I heard the first series will be OEM CPUs, then followed possibly by months later until the DIY ones come out?

I’m leaning towards just getting a 3600 for now running it’s stock cooler then getting maybe a 4000 a bit down track and a proper air cooler.

12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Running the mcase n1 with an ek 240 aio at the moment. With pbo enabled (~4.2ghz all core load, ~4.3ghz gaming) temps are topping out at 65c with fans under 50%. I also ran with the stock prism cooler for a while and temps were still manageable with pbo and stayed under 80c, albeit with a little less clock speed.

I know all about the impatience :D OEM renoir apus are out already, we're just waiting on an announcement for the real deal now.

13. arasta

arasta Member

dont forget amd's roadmap has a socket change pencilled in for 2021. i did the upgrade but im sort of regretting it having found that out, at least i can put in XTs and XTTs or whatever the last line of AM4 chips will be next year. but i suspect the 4k series announcement will clarify the situation with the sockets going forward. at this point that would be my major reason to wait - if you can wait for 4k announces, then decide if its worth getting into something that wont get much upgrade for the future or look to a socket change that will at least have support at the 4-5 year mark when you are expecting the rig to be replaced or respun.

as far as wait for announce and clean up on people dumping older parts - just look in the FS forum now and see all the Nvidia parts being floated with the 30xx series announcements being dropped. if you want to throw more cash into fans (or better GPU or whatever) that will definitely be a way to do it.

14. Recharge

Recharge Member

yea, but a socket change after what? 5 years?

15. RnR

RnR Member

4 years from 2017. But a socket change is not set in stone for 2021. AMD said that they would keep AM4 until at least 2020. If there is no reason to go to AM5, why leave AM4? Adoption of DDR5 is said to drive AM5 introduction, but not sure when AMD thinks the DDR market will be mature enough to move the consumer platform across.

16. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Intel Z chipset boards typically last a generation (maybe 2) before needing to be tossed out and come at a higher premium than b450/b550 options on the amd side. I wouldn't hold onto the end of am4 being a possibility late next year as a reason not to upgrade personally.

17. arasta

arasta Member

should have said i was playing devils advocate a bit haha
    i really would like some clarity on that. its why i said pencilled rather than inked in - AMD could definitely whip out an eraser and AM4 may be good for longer (which would make me feel a bit better about my recent purchases haha).

i dont reckon its a good reason to hold on, but i suppose it comes down to what sort of lifetime you want and if you expect to be able to respin the board with a later gen chip 2-4 years down the track as a lot of us do, to keep it in a decent range of performance. i generally hold my boards for 6 or 7 years; the z97ex6 i have now is about that vintage which is why i went for the x470/3700x setup. if they do change socket next year and there is less AM4 support following, the x470 i have may not last as long as i had wanted it to (which makes me feel worse about those recent purchases :p). hindsight being what it is, i could have waited for this years black friday after the 4k launch and had better clarity on what i can expect... at least i think/am fairly sure the 3700x will hold its own for quite a fair while.

while a 3600 is a pretty good option *now*, with the advent of new gen consoles and their ports, i have to wonder if it will stay that way. certainly if you want to keep a board for 5 years.... so i was thinking there might not be as much point to it if the socket support is dried up.

if you are going up every year or two years it wont matter. Wahoo wants 4-5 years tho, so i did think it should be a consideration, distant as it may be.

RnR likes this.
  18. RnR

RnR Member

Well... I'm still on AM3+... and my board only has PCIe2. I decided a while back to skip AM4 and wait for AM5 as Fortnite and the occasional strategy game is fine on a 6 core phenom II.

But yeah... looking at all this fine tech that is on offer atm... the upgrade itch gets nasty :D

someon3 likes this.
  19. terroristone

terroristone Member

This is too funny not to post,

chook, OJR and 335 GT like this.
  20. OJR

OJR Member

Gold!!!!