Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

If it's warzone, just note the latest update is fucked anyway with constant CTD's. If in MP, then that should be stable.

the_antipop likes this.
  2. arasta

arasta Member

kinda glad i ddint get into a B550 now, as much as ive wanted to - i would have gone for an asrock board but it seems from what CTR says their LLC is as sloppy as? and also noticed some mention of extra features on Asus boards? asus LLC they reckon is actually the one they prefer to work with.. if theres anyone here fiddling with CTR on an asrock im interested to see if thats borne out in real world experience...

3. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Looks pretty fugly, is it supposed to be better than an EK Velocity?

5. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

SKITZ0_000 likes this.
  6. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Far out those page 6 results are pretty impressive

7. na1lbomb

na1lbomb Member

My ~13 month old Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 mobo crapped out 2 days ago, I only just got my old 2700 rig up and running again.

Symptoms: No sign of life whatsoever. No lights, no fans, no diagnostic LED. It had been used the previous day without issue and was shut down overnight, but seemingly woke up dead when I wanted to use it.

At first I thought the PSU had been totalled, but it tested fine in another PC. Took it back to the store and they are sending it off for RMA. A quick google showed others with this issue, and I cant help but think if I had gone Asus like with all of my previous motherboards, then I wouldnt have had to surprise strip my gaming PC.

Should get the mobo back in about a month, and I expect it will be a higher revision.

Nails

8. chook

chook Member

Looks like they are up to revision 1.2 now. Probably the RGB failing killing everything else. No RGB no work.

9. BrightSparke

BrightSparke Member

Clock Tuner for Ryzen on 3600 non X
    CCX OC'd to 4475 and 4450 @ 1.25v with 127 and 116 score respectively
    Asus C6H with Load Line 4 - 3600CL16 safe timings from Ryzen DRAM Calculator

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    M1ck1 and RnR like this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I can't speak for this particular Asrock, but I have had multiple Taichi's of previous generations and they've all been great boards in every respect.

There really isn't much to choose from ANY brand/model when it comes to B/X boards. They are ALL good, even overkill, for most people - unless you want to pay double for those few extra MHz as an extreme overclocker. It comes down to whatever your personal needs/desires are, what IO options it has, what particular features you want, and even what the board looks like. And of course whether you are wanting to hand over the extra cash.

An Example.

I currently have an Asus Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi X570. When I look up the equivalent Asus Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi B550, the major difference appears to be that both of the M.2 slots on the X570 are PCIE4, whereas one of those on the B550 is only PCIE3 (the other being PCIE4).

On that note, I'm actually struggling for a decent reason to stick a second PCIE4 M.2 into my X570, the best justification I can find is to double my OS drive and RAID-0 it, but that's also really not a sensible option. I don't think I'd notice the extra speed in real world applications to be honest. That leaves my most sensible choice to be a 2TB games/scratch drive, which doesn't need and can't use all the speed the PCIE4 can offer anyway.

The X570 has 12+2 power stages, the B550 only has 8+2. Either is ample for any current CPU, and should be enough for any Zen 3 CPU too.

There may be a couple of other minor differences, I CBF checking out what IO options are available, but that's the basic difference. In fact, the B550 has one point in its favour over the X570 - it has WiFi-6, the X570 does not.

So, reasons to buy X570 (when it comes to Asus TUF, I can't speak for other brands/models) vs B550?

X570 instead of B550?

Two PCIE4 M.2's vs One PCIE4 + one PCIE3 M.2
    12+2 power stages vs 8+2
    Bluetooth 5. I can't find a reference to the B550 having this, so unless I can find differently, the B550 only has Bluetooth 4.

B550 instead of X570?

WiFi-6 instead of Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    Realtek 2.5GB LAN instead of Realtek Gigabit LAN

TL;DR - The B550 is a hundred bucks less, and unless you intend overclocking the arse out of a 16 core, both have more than adequate VRM's. The B550 actually has BETTER WiFi and BETTER LAN than the X570.

(It MAY only have BT4 vs the X570's BT5, but this would surprise me as BT is usually part of the WiFi and the B550 has better WiFi so it makes no sense for it to have inferior BT.)

Why do I have an X570 then? Pure and simple, the B550 wasn't an option when I bought X570.

11. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

The X570 chipset uplink is PCI express 4.0
    and the B550 Chipset uplink is PCI express 3.0

https://www.wepc.com/tips/b550-vs-x570/

Whether this has any real world implications is difficult to know..

Plus the X570 motherboards have Ryzen 2xxx support and some have unofficial Ryzen 1xxx support.
    the B550 support Ryzen 3xxx and newer.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

For sure, compatibility is something to consider if you have an older chip.

The B550 has a single PCIE4 (x4) M.2 which comes from the CPU, not the chipset (unless the board partner has chosen not to implement that, but I'd assume that would be unlikely), as well as the main PCIE4 x16. That's not the case with older chips of course.

The Zen2 chip has 24 PCIE4 lanes, without counting the PCIE4 controller which is not on the B550 chipset. The X570 has the PCIE4 chipset, so has more options available to it with extra PCIE4 lanes.

AMD reserves 4 lanes for CPU-Chipset communication, which leaves 20 useable lanes. 16 of these go to the primary GPU x16 slot, which leaves board partners 4 lanes left over for a single PCIE4 x4 M.2 or whichever other way they choose to implement them. I am pretty sure all B550 board partners have gone with the main GPU for x16 and just one M.2 with the remaining 4 lanes. The B550 chipset is only PCIE3, hence any additional M.2 slots and other peripherals being only PCIE3.

Actually that's another thing I forgot to mention which may be important to buyers. The X570, since the chipset is PCIE4, almost all have a chipset fan. That's hardly an issue really, the chipset fan has a zero mode and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen it spin on my board. The B550 models do not have a chipset fan, some would consider that another plus for B550.

13. arasta

arasta Member

i certainly do. for my needs, a lot of the things the 570 has are not material to me - i use wired ethernet so the wifi doesnt bother me tho there may be a use for the BT in the near future for me... the fact the B stack is slightly cheaper and with (some) newer features also inclines me away from the X boards.

going by buildzoid he was pretty happy with the product stack for asrock wrt the VRMs - im just surprised that CTR fingers them specifically for sloppy LLC correction, which may or may not do something for/against the 3700X i have now... which is why i was wondering if anyone had personal experience there. money no object i would have liked the B550 taichi but more likely id wind up with the strix E or the extreme4 at this point... CTR having such high regard for asus and apparently having features with those boards that others dont have would lean me that way. (not to mention i hold asus in good regard... they have not been perfect over the years but do seem to be consistently good generation in generation out...). hell i was impressed with their effort with the 3080 caps, even tho those are a card i would never contemplate owning :p

14. uncle laz

uncle laz Member

So how much do people think the current 3000 series will drop in price when the new CPUs are released?

15. arasta

arasta Member

they didnt go anywhere with the Xt. and given the new ones are supposed to be better im not sure they wont just offer them at a small premium as they did with the xt. xt might come down to the stock chips now and the stockies might get deprecated to clear the channel but i doubt there will be much price movement. happy to be proven wrong tho...

M1ck1 likes this.
  16. chook

chook Member

If they can get away with it this would be their preference I think. Kepe the Zen 2 chips at current price and the new SKU's at an elevated price. Make some extra margin while people are willing to pay.

17. arasta

arasta Member

18. nope

nope Member

poor old zen1+ 2700x met its match with 144hz if anyone has a used 3900 or 3950 they wunna part with in the coming months let me know

19. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

With x370 hitting end of life, I bit the bullet and got a Aorus Elite x570 from the Prime day specials for $233 delivered. Pretty happy with that. Offload my Crosshair VI Hero for ~$100 and I'll be laughing.

chook and RnR like this.
  20. chook

chook Member

Sweet. In all reality you don't need to upgrade anything now. The 3600 and the 2080Ti are still fantastic pieces of gear to be gaming with at 1440p.

nope, the_antipop and nCrypt like this.