1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I went from 1700 to 2700X to 3600 and got my 5900X today. I haven't opened the box yet :lol: Just grabbed it while it was available, just in case. I'd actually rather a 5950X but if it takes too long to get one I'll finish up using this 5900X instead.

RnR and nope like this.
  2. arasta

arasta Member

/takes a ticket for when hes 'done' with it :D

/edit might be the only way to get one the way things are going lol that and im in no rush, will watch on and see what you blokes find first :p

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You can have it for only eleventy million dollars :lol: but I'm no scalper, I'll throw in free postage :thumbup:

4. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Where'd you manage to score the 5900x Ratzz?

5. arasta

arasta Member

damn, i lost my stash of eleventy bills a while back. still, it was worth a try :p

never used a stock cooler but i gather the 3600 one wasnt anything special? does look a little warm for the clock but hard to be sure.... i also dont know if the amd stock tim takes curing time either, it might settle down after a bit?

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

MSY Dandenong. I saw a link to one there, I went to their site and yep, they had one, which I bought immediately. I went back to the site literally 2 minutes later and they were out of stock, pure arse :D: . Picked up the next morning.

combatant3219 likes this.
  7. Phido

Phido Member

I went from 3700x to 5950x

Feelings.

Games? Not much difference, as I am bottle necked by my 1060 3gb.. Particularly for First person shooters. Things like fortnight, don't ever even max out one core and typically only load up 4 or 5 threads. Strategy games however, feel quite nice, even the older ones. Combination of faster single and multi probably plays a part here.

Benchmarks? Heaps faster, in every way.

Work stuff? Still early days yet, but noticeably faster.

Like anything depends what you do. best combined with memory upgrades/SSD upgrades/GPU upgrades for maxium effect.

However, a 3700x is not exactly slow. 18 months ago that would have been a super high spec system.

nope likes this.
  8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

How quick do your guys 3900x's come down in temps after stopping a benchmark? Seems like on water you'd expect the core temps to come down within a couple of seconds but I'm seeing it cools back down rather gradually

The CCxs themselves come down instantly but the package temp is like a steady decline back to idle

Load temps with all out of the box settings seem a bit high too, coming 75-80 in benchmarking load on a pretty beefy water setup

Bad mounting pressure? Normal operation?

edit: repasted and tightened down as much as humanly possible with thumb screws, temps drop down instantly once load is removed, peak temp down a good 4-5 degrees... sweet

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    BuzzPuppy likes this.
  9. randomman

randomman Member

hey guys I've been out of the custom PC game for almost a decade and with my T7500 getting long in the teeth I replaced it with a 3700x build on an x570 mobo. I disabled boost because mITX and didn't like the fan ramping up all the time but now I'm seeing it sit at 3.56GHz in TaskMan and HWinfo says 1v. Windows is set to most energy efficient. It's at ~38C so not stupid hot but I don't understand why it's not clocking down. Anyone know what setting I should look at?

10. Recharge

Recharge Member

38 isn't even hot.. that's a damn good temp in mITX.
    is there a reason you're concerned?

11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Do you mean 38 above ambient, or actually 38? Because if the latter...like recharge said, that's a brilliant temp.

12. OP
    OP
    luke o

luke o Member

Have a look at Fan Control:
    https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

This saved me going INSANE with my mini ITX Ryzen. The constant fan ramping annoyed the absolute bejesus out of me.

This is the only tool I've found that actually works and whilst on the desktop, watching Youtube etc. My PC is now dead silent with zero fan ramping. Playing games it spins up nicely and I put my headphones on and no longer care...

Just my two cents!

BuzzPuppy likes this.
  13. randomman

randomman Member

Nah just 38C, okay good to know that's great for mITX, I do have 10 fans in total (inc HSF) so glad to know they're doing the job. :leet: Was mostly concerned about it staying at full clock.

I just use Smart Fan 5 in the BIOS of my GB board, set it to quiet mode. Could probably re-enable PBO as I've set it to wait 3 (seconds?) for temperature intervals.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  14. neRok

neRok Member

I've complained about my gigabyte x570 auros pro wifi many times in this thread, but since upgrading the bios a few months back to the latest at the time - F34 - things seem much better. I've even been able to put the PC to sleep a few times manually, and have it wake up the next day!

But actually I was just mucking around with the settings to get it Win11 compatible, and discovered I had to disable CSM, which then allowed you to set Secure Boot (SB disabled and hidden when CSM enabled). But doing that it wouldn't boot at all, so had to put CSM back on. Doing some research, I realised it was because my Win10 was on MBR partition and was booting with legacy bios. So I had to convert to GPT following the instructions at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10, then I could disable CSM and enable SB, and it worked. Now Win10 reports it is running with UEFI bios.

So now I wonder if this was the cause of my boot loop problems all along? I think CSM enabled was the default+optimised setting in the BIOS (CSM seems to imply legacy bios), so when I installed Win10 fresh, perhaps it chose MBR to suit the conditions (or maybe I missed a setting)?

Anyway, doing the above and enabling fTPM got my PC Win11 approved. I then had a quick look at Resizable Bar, which reddit posts also indicated needs GPT and/or secure boot, and I found I could enable that and above 4g decode in my bios, and these report as functioning in GPU-Z (advanced tab, PCIe Resizable BAR in dropdown), but that 2080ti does not support it. Spewin.

And just looking at latest bios now, there is F35d which says;
    Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.
    Credits to "Assaf Carlsbad and Itai Liba from SentinelOne"
    • Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
    So, wow, better get onto that one soon, will just have to wait until I can bothered re-doing my fan curves. Doing them is annoying. They should be saved separately.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021