Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Seriously. The one verified benchmark of a Zen2 we have, shows a low power 8 core zen 2 engineering sample beating the 9900k with a score of 2160'ish.

Why would you try and attribute such a low score to a 12 core part?

2. Phido

Phido Member

3800x is faster than a 9900k in Cinebench stock.
    3900x is faster than a 9920k in Cinebench stock. Some 60% faster than a 9900k in multithread.

That is not a rumor, that is fact.

If you are going to question anything, question its performance in games or applications other than Cinebench. Cinebench is known as fact.

3. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I can't imagine that will be the case, based off previous Ryzen CPU's. If it's anything like Zen1/+ even with an OC I think you'll struggle with stability at x speed (and the exponential increase in voltage required) before temperature is really an issue, unless you're on the stock cooler or something.

That link says "4.8ghz is achievable on all cores" with "4.5ghz OC at 1.35v". If the information is real, I reckon the 4.8ghz figure is probably just an in Windows overclock, i.e. they have set the clock speed using a util with cpuz to validate. Even if this info is correct, I still wouldn't be putting my hopes on much more than the 4.5Ghz claimed pending silicone lottery.

mAJORD likes this.
  4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Indeed. If the Freq-Volt curve is at 1.35v @ 4.5Ghz - I can't imagine what the hell it would be at 4.8.. I am expecting similar behavior to Ryzen 1/2 in this regard given the basic pipeline is the same, . TSCMs 7nm is a decent process compared to GF's 12/14nm, but it's no miracle, and isn't focused to high frequencies. So As it stands, the peak frequencies w're seeing at stock are VERY good.. Lets not forget Intel are grappling with a Fmax Regression of some 700-800Mhz with Icelake as it stands right now.. this is not easy stuff.

I'd expect the single core 'XFR' boost frequencies (4.5-4.6Ghz) are once again achieved under strict conditions monitored by what I imagine is an even more advanced SMU - and aiming for these frequencies @ all cores will be dangerous.

What I'd really like to see is a more flexbile OC scheme, including an "official" PBS/CPB like OC mode.. something more integrated with the SMU. The 'OC" mode of Ryzen 1/2 is rather basic and disables any form of Turbo (hence why many people now just tweak PBS/CBS settings ).

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  5. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

new bios for taichi is out

6. Daveros

Daveros Member

I’m a touch disappointed in two things, currently.

Firstly, that the eight core CPUs have crept up slightly in price versus Ryzen 2nd Gen (on par or better than 1st Gen, mind you) and secondly, I want that sixteen core like... now. Gimme.

(I’m lying. I’m actually disappointed in three things - why does the CH VIII Hero have that stupid “HERO” RGB?? Bleh.)

Looks like I’m buying back into AMD for the first time since the 2700X came out!

Edit: my combined score in Firestrike better be good this time omg

7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Combined score in Firestrike has gone up (just under 1000 points higher on my personal system) with the new 1903 Win 10 update :)

Daveros likes this.
  8. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Haha. Not a long holiday from team red.

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

So, when the next lot of (utterly disappointing) leaks occur ?
    Will it only be the overclocking stuff at E3 ?

I guess what I'm asking is should I just buy AMD stock now on an assumption the internets never lies and AMD must surely release the 16c32t chip ?

10. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Pretty sure we'll get the full launch lineup of zen2 at E3, not just the x chips we've seen so far. I'd expect at least a 3700, a couple of ryzen 3 chips, and another 12 core part (perhaps a non x), but as always only AMD knows and could change their mind at any moment up to E3. X570 has been designed for 16 cores and heavy oc, all the motherboard manufacturers have 16 core sample chips. When it actually get's released, maybe 6 months time? As discussed earlier 16 cores is getting into threadripper territory so they may want to hold back until they announce something new there.
    Also don't ask for financial advice we can't legally give it.
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...other-rules-no-referral-links-allowed.400851/

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. nushydude

nushydude Member

I am a bit disappointed about the announced specs. I was definitely going upgrade to the lower of the 16-core model from my R7 2700 if the leaked specs were true. Not sure anymore, especially when they said the 3800x (and not the 3900x even with the 100MHz boost clock advantage) is the best for gaming. I guess the latencies introduced by spreading cores across multiple chiplets can be substantial.

12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

the proof's in the pudding as to how the latencies of that interconnect will affect bottom line performance.

i have run into some hiccups (apps have sometimes just ceased when i have too many operating) trying to run multiple apps with my current cpu.
    i believe high core count cpu's have an advantage with respect to running multiple apps simultaneously, even to the point of the ability to manually allocate specific cores to specific applications.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    AlliZ likes this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'm hoping for info on the APU lineup and 3600G in particular
    That'll be a great little mini office/htpc/home server solution. Ample processing power, low enough power to be left on 24/7

I was just taking the piss from previous comments regarding stocks :)

14. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. chook

chook Member

I am looking at the motherboards and considering if I get x570 or try and scoop a cheap x470 on clearance. From what I am seeing if I went for the x470 then the 20 PCIE lanes off the CPU will still support PCIE 4.0 which means that the GPU and the M.2 slot will be running at that speed. Presumably the link between the chipset and the CPU will be PCIE 3.0 because the X470 chipset isn't PCIE 4.0 aware. All the other devices that are hanging off the chipset will also be limited to that speed. The GPU is probably not an issue since my 1080Ti is only PCIE 3.0 and I am not looking to upgrade that anytime soon.

x470 might be a reasonable option to save a few dollars but I will have to look and see how many dollars before I decide it is worth it. All of this hinges on more details coming out about the entire stack before I make any decision on if I even bother because right now I am not convinced I need to spend money given I don't feel like my current system is not capable. My upgrade is realistically more because I want, not because I need which means that I will probably get to the point of parting with my money and dither for so long that when I decide to do it the next big thing will be coming Very Soon(tm) so I will wait again.

16. nushydude

nushydude Member

I think most of us here are on the same boat.

chook likes this.
  17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Although I already have a 3000 series BIOS for my X470 Taichi, and it appears that it will support it hardware wise, I'm not yet sure if it will support PCIE4 unless AMD decides it will allow it. Otherwise, I'm absolutely in the same position as you.. on the fence until everything, including 3000's actual benched performance rather than rumours and the breadcrumbs offered by AMD, is settled.

chook likes this.
  18. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I think for me I need an upgrade. My CPU/GPU are both bottlenecked at the moment for the latest games and I want to build something that will last for 4-5 years. Hence why I'll go X570 + 3800x or 3900x.

19. chook

chook Member

Yes, my bad. I should have been more specific when I made the statement. According to the Anandtech article I looked at (https://www.anandtech.com/show/14406/amd-reveals-the-x570-chipset-pcie-4-is-here) the primary limitation will be the layout of the board as the trace length is a big factor. Then it will come down to the motherboard vendor enabling it in the BIOS. The Tom's Hardware article you linked has an update that says AMD have stated they won't be limiting the CPU from working at PCIE 4.0 on the X470 boards. I have since done some more reading and I was slightly incorrect. The CPU has 24 PCIE lanes. The first 20 go to the GPU and one of the M.2 slots. Again tracing may limit the M.2 slot however I suspect the GPU slot (or first PCIE x16 slot more correctly) is going to get the speed boost in all cases as the distance from the CPU is fairly standard.

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I think if you are not already in the zone so to speak, the obvious choice is to go 3000 + X570.
    For someone like me, already on 2000 + X470, its very much a matter of just what the potential gains are.. particularly when it comes to just how much better 3000 actually turns out to be, when benched, and what gains I might get from X570, especially if a BIOS update gets me PCIE4, which is potentially possible.

Yeah I'm actually more concerned as to whether Asrock actually implements it personally. I have the latest BIOS, which adds support for 3000, but there is nothing in the release notes that mentions X570 at all, unless it is still to come.

One of my M.2 slots and a couple of my X16 slots are within the 6inch trace length, the other isn't, but I'm not at all concerned about that as I haven't noticed any truly major improvements between SATA and NVME for my own use case anyway, so I can't see me ever wanting to RAID M.2's. Sure, when the time comes I might need a faster drive than my 960 Pro I guess, but one fast M.2 will certainly do me for a long time yet. The other would only be for mass storage.