Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

leave him alone mate, hes had to take a holiday because nobody agrees with him or likes his posts
    that being said, the beta male needs so much direction as to what job he should take and what to do on holidays im shocked he didnt ask for permission to go :/

2. Phido

Phido Member

3. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Gotta say I am slightly dissapointed.

Guess I got caught up in the rumor mill. And expect an ACTUAL announcement. Lisa was clear that it was a preview, so good on AMD for giving us a glimps. If its not ready its not ready. But they read the market and knew they had to show something.

Still months away from the full announcement. But honestly given the performance of the 2600 and the 2700x there really is no rush is there? they are already the best cpu choices atm imo.

So lets talk about the information we did get. How about that power efficiency? big oof.

4. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

Well.. that was underwhelming..

Zen 2 launch will be Q2 2019.. that's all lisa said about it in the AMD keynote and she also showed us on stage a 7nm 8 core chip-let with a 14nm half size IO die .. then showed it running a game at high 100fps and beating a 9900k in a benchmark. The Zen 2 3000 series will be launched at computex 100%. My guess it will be the whole lineup with 16 cores...but minus the 4 core Athlon's and 2 core Duron's.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. Nian

Nian Member

Well. At least I will have used my 2700x for close to a year before replacing it. :)

More chance to save up for the flagship model. May also consider the Vega 7 if it's actually worth the price...

6. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

There is a rush... people still buy 6 core Intel chips to make gaming PC's.. Even if the differance at higher rez is nothing.. people see benchmarks at low rez and buy intel.. This is what Zen2 is meant to fix.

Also.. it's sad but intel is like 30% faster in Auto desk products.. Autodesk's revit spaghetti code is trash but works better on intel.. i am hoping Zen2 can fix this

7. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

We will have to wait and see but i recon they might only go to 12 cores ( regardless of yeilds etc) for Zen2 . then for zen 3 which is still am4 and 7nm (EUV) go to 16. this is purely based on the idea of otherwise there is a over double jump in perf this gen and then only a small increment the one after it. if they limit to 12 cores then they can have nice pef increases each gen.

At best intel is going to have 10 cores and consume a massive amount of power, have somewhere around the same max clock and same IPC.

8. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Hmmm personally I dont see the need to rush it out. Yes people are still recommending intel for gaming performance (I am constantly butting heads with people on this too, which is really frustrating when people who wouldnt know their LGA's from AM's are going REEEEEEEEE intel).

When it comes down to building a system. People with any knowledge know that the GPU is where you should be sinking your budget. And that AMD offers high cores, great performance, an acceptable cooler at a cheaper price. The 2600 is still the value king for entry level gaming, and the 2700x is still the value king for highend consumer/home professional usage.

But yeh. TLDR; Zen+ still positions AMD VERY nicely with Intel and can hold for another 6 months easily imo.

Also the mindset that Intel is the "gaming" CPU isnt something that is going to change even when AMD is the better choice in everyway. We had 10 years of Intel leading, the opinion and knowledge of the normies is gonna take a few years.

Hell I had an argument with someone that ordered a custom PC and insisted on Intel because their AM3 system was overheating and shutting down. The build that person ended up ordering was a 9700k with a Gtx 1050 (non ti). Their previous system had a Gtx 970... which they threw out... so yeh. There are soooooo many clueless people that AMD is going to take years to win over. No rush lol

9. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well until AMD has better single core IPC and better clockspeed, they aren't the better CPU for pure gaming reasons.

They aren't cheaper, they aren't better value, they aren't higher core counts but they are faster in games.

10. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I think you're right about Zen2 maxing out at 12 cores. There really isnt a need to jump straight to 16 cores. AMD is positioning themselves for years of incremental increases.

11. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

They showed us a 7nm 8 core chip-let on a package made for two and there's a slot for one more chip-let below.. hmmm 16 cores incoming maybe? :)

[​IMG]

SSJ4 and tunksy like this.
  12. Phido

Phido Member

You guys are too pessimistic, it was never going to be a full release.

Good points
    • Performance is better than expected. People were saying 10-15% IPC performance improvement over Ryzen2. We are seeing over 15% in FPU heavy code. So greater than 15%+ IPC is real. So any clock speed enhancement makes it extremely likely that AMD will take the performance crown, single thread and multi thread. 15% is a huge gain for a generation these days. FPU code is the hardest to accelerate, because things like caches, bigger pipes, memory speed, and branch prediction really have no or little effect. FPU code will also test your CPU thermally as they are the instructions that require the most power. Whole high performance computing data centres will be finding ways to end intel contracts asap with this kind of info.
    • Power efficiency is also real. It is now entirely believable they could put high clocked 16 cores onto AM4. This is a game changer for servers, laptops and netbooks, which have always been restricted by power consumption. Literally all the OEM's will now be flatout trying to get AMD systems to channel before Ryzen 3 hits. We haven't seen such an improvement in 10 year years. Game changing.
    So you get better than intel performance, at half the power and half+ the cost.
    Most boards will be able to support 1x PCI4 slot for graphics. Awesome. But think about what this means for servers as well.

Now your average gamer/user may be pretty disappointed, they can't translate from the information given in a usable form. But any one who works for an OEM, data centre, high-performance computing environment will have wet their pants.

adamsleath and SSJ4 like this.
  13. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

The issue is we want it now.. OR at least a paper launch with specs :) rumors suck, we want certainty. We all hoped for more from the CES keynote .. and now are back to waiting.

Vega 2 Radion 7 is just an overpriced super high end card like the Nvidia RTX range.. everyone wants that $250 - GTX2070 comparable 7nm DDR6 NAVI graphics card. NOT some super pricey HBM2 one that only 0.1% of gamers will buy

They are the sports cars of the graphics market.

14. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I'd say they are the "track ready" production sports cars that noone can afford. But we can scrap enough cash together to buy the basic model.

The RTX 2060 got me more excited than all the other RTX cards. And I would bet a good portion of the market feels the same.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Do we know the cost of the 3000's yet??? still what little has been shown in the performance department looks very good. i just felt a renewed surge of AMD fanboi'ism in my internal organs :D

16. RnR

RnR Member

I think everything from AMD from here on will be pcie 4 focused. The Vega VII just announced could be pcie 4 - the Instinct MI50 is pcie 4. Zen 2 has support for pcie 4.

I had a surge in my external organs when I saw AMD beating an Intel 9900k core for core :D

17. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i thought that was just an AMD 3xxx in your pocket :D

18. Phido

Phido Member

No stuff on cost other than the rumors. That is the unknown, and frankly we won't know for sure until they are shipping to customers.

But AMD has always been pretty competitive on price. Their key advantage is still more cores. So they will want to price things accordingly to make you buy more cores or make buying more cores attractive to the consumer.
    What buy an Intel 8 core when you get an AMD 16 core for the same price given IPC is approximately equal per core.

AMD has a really good strategy. Moving the IO off core dies, using cheaper process for that, putting 8 cores into a chiplet and able to put two chiplets into a single package for consumer CPU's. They can then mix and match for their other larger sockets. Reduced core count CPU's will still sell quite well for regular desktop machines, so they should have great sell-able yields. Also the whole industry is now either for AMD or against intel. Spinning off global foundries really opened the door to this kind of hybrid setup.

AMD will want to get as many sockets out their into as many machines as possible. Particularly as this may the be the end game for feature shrinking on silicon. I expect both sides to be aggressive.

If we are 6 months away from Ryzen 3 day, Intel still has a few tricks up their sleeve. You can never count intel as being totally out, even if they do something stupid. I imagine they will be pretty aggressive in their immediate future. But this will likely flatten profits, and intel will likely really be a peer competitor to AMD in the future.

19. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

also lets not forget the socket AM4 bonus,

being able to do a straight cpu upgrade instead of doing a full rebuild after buying a new motherboard (Intel) is a massive gain if you compare that with an similar/equal/better IPC with more cores than why would anyone go intel.

for me the motherboard upgrade issue was the biggest greed from intel and to see amd doing well while keeping the stance of not requiring to do a rebuild and buy a new motherboard has been the greatest win in conjunction with these amazing cpus.

that being said i was running a 3930k for 2 years and a 2700k before that and was happy intel brought this on themselves with their attitude, kudos to amd for making them regret it

(also for giving us those laughs by forcing them into the "glued" bullshit slide drama + the liquid cooled 5ghz server)

RnR and AlliZ like this.
  20. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

This is a great point. Intel has basically limitless resources to get shit done. But they need to be careful to do their response properly. The 9900k imo is a terrible chip overall imo. And if the 3,000 series are a home run. A knee jerk reaction like the 9th gen chips isnt going to cut it.

SomeBoredGuy likes this.