Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

That's what I'm wondering. I don't have an existing Ryzen system, so I would be buying in and it feels weird/wrong to buy a B450 board for the new chips. People would either need to get their BIOS updated or shell out for X570.

I'm wondering if there's a B550 on the horizon to bridge the gap.

2. chip

chip Member

Once the Zen 2 Ryzens drop, you'll all be flogging off your Zen+ 6/8 core CPUs for cheap in the for sale section, right? Asking for a friend.

|einad and RnR like this.
  3. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

depends what you mean by cheap, people seem to associate ryzen with free

4. chip

chip Member

cheaper than current retail

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I just want better memory support, best I can get stable on my 2700X is c14-3600 from a pair of 8GB c19-4000 Hyper-X. If memory support on Zen2 is actually what it would appear to be at this stage of the guessing game, I'll have a 2700X I won't be needing anymore.

Cheap, given the chip is only a few months old, is relative however. If you think I'm going to sell this $500+ chip for $200, you'd be mistaken. It will be cheaper than a new 3700X though, which is likely to be my chip of choice, by a long way. Its a possibility that I'll also have a Taichi X470 up for grabs too, but that's much less probable. What level of Zen+ chip is he looking for, and what's his budget?

6. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

More than likely.

7. RnR

RnR Member

Your ram is already close to the optimal for the Zen 2 cpu... ie 3733Mhz. And you have an extremely good timing too. You would lose going higher than this from my understanding.

8. chook

chook Member

Curious here. If 3733 is the sweet spot defined by AMD for the lowest raw latency, wouldn't your 3600C14 be pretty good? I might be confusing benchmarking with operational here. Would the higher frequency on the RAM mean a better benchmark score even if it was technically slower in day to day usage?

9. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13495867

bench for the 16c @ 4.3 on a x470

quote from amd re pbo/xfr

The new feature allows you to override the default boost clock by up to +200MHz, in addition to expanded TDC/EDC/PPT limits. The CPU will self-manage from there using its built-in boost and clock management programming.

Ryzen doesn’t really have a “single core turbo” clock. Our boost algorithm pursues the highest possible clocks on as many cores as possible until you hit some sort of limit: socket power, core temps, VRM electrical limit, VRM thermal limit, max clock speed, etc. via Robert Hallock (AMD)

from https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-16-core-cpu-benchmark-leak-crushes-intel-core-i9-9980xe/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Awesome and interesting discussion from Wendall and Ian Cuttress

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not sure how I would lose with both better latency and better clocks. I've had c12-4000 on c17-3733 sticks on Intel. It makes a big difference to physics when benchmarking, and yes, that's why I want it. I have repeatedly said I am an overclocker, not a gamer. If I wanted a perfectly capable gamer I would have simply stuck with my 1700, c14-3200, and B350 and my current RX580.
    Memory and CPU overclocking are the only downsides of Ryzen from my point of view. That's why I am hopeful, but by no means convinced until I see some of my most trusted sites actually show some benchmarks, that 3000 solves these issues for me.

12. RnR

RnR Member

Once the ram goes above 3733Mhz, the infinity fabric will half its own speed under Zen 2.

memory1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:27 PM
  13. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Samsung announced B-Die is going end of life. Also call me Sceptical steve but both the 1950X and 2990WX I have used did not like fast memory

14. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Do we know it this is automatic in the hardware or if we will have control over this in bios? Also, "5133 demonstrated" - what are the current limits of DDR4? Do we know if this was limited by the IMC or the RAM itself? It may be possible for a new generation of high speed DDR4 to come out that could obtain higher OC speeds..?

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The infinity fabric divider kicks in at 3733. However AMD say the memory controller is capable of well in excess of 4000, and as SKITZ0_000 has said, they've claimed 5133 demonstrated. I'd need to understand more than any of us do to understand why they would gimp it like that. It sounds like the infinity fabric is also controllable to me. That said, I'm no silicon engineer, and most of what is said is way above my head.

As I've also said repeatedly, I won't be making any decisions at all until the independent benchmarks start flowing.

16. RnR

RnR Member

I vaguely remember a rumour a while back about the infinity fabric being overclockable, but haven't heard boo on this point since then. So I'll assume the fabric is hardware locked at this point. I haven't come across answers to the rest of your questions.

And yeah its a little confusing when you have '5133 demonstrated' and '3600 recommended'. The only small point I can see with this marketing is if there are Intel owners with fast ram that wants to move platforms.

17. chook

chook Member

If the Infinity Fabric is locked then by overclocking the RAM far enough you could get it back up to the normal speed but that would have to be an obscene RAM speed (7466?) and might not be possible.

18. RnR

RnR Member

Yup - thats the confusing part. AMD cpu's have traditionally been behind in the support for high speed ram, so maybe this time they said 'screw it - max it out regardless of good reasons' just for marketing.

19. chook

chook Member

Yeah, I get a bit of a feeling like that too. AMD are saying (perhaps - independent benchmarks required) you can hit this speed with your RAM provided that the starts are aligned and you hold your tongue right and the RAM is a golden sample, etc. Sort of this one guy, once ran the ram at 6000 but nobody else has ever done it so the IMC can handle 6000Mhz RAM.

Using this example from the ASUS site:

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz

You can see that anything above 2666 is an overclocked setting thus "not guaranteed" because you are running "out of spec" (unless you are that one guy with the 6000MHz RAM :p)

20. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

3600 is recommended as the best bang for buck, as I'm sure most of you know when you go for higher spec kits the price increases pretty quickly but I'm sure you'll a few places talk alot about memory speeds in relation to the IF divider around launch :)