Ryzen 3000 series CPUs

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by luke o, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Phido

Phido Member

Sure the 9900k has its issues.
    Nothing that couldn't be solved by selling it at half price. Most desktop users won't care about power usage or heat. Double down in marketing = win for intel.

Intel is more likely to be more concerned in the netbook and server world. Slashing prices won't really make them competitive there. Even if they get 10nm perfected, 7nm is likely better. So they won't really be able to fight AMD on matching cores. AMD has a more scalable setup for big data too.

That is the future that awaits us. Prices will fall.

2. flinchy

flinchy Member

Why wouldn't PCIe 4.0 cards work in 3.0 slots? They've always been backwards compatible in the past?

Rumours of some well made boards getting to top 3.0 slot recertified as 4.0 as it meets certain strict specs

Edit: also wondering on price... Assuming the CES CPU we saw will be a 3600 SKU, the 2600 went for $300ish AUD? So what 350-400ish for this maybe? That seems absurdly cheap when it's likely to beat the $850 9900k up and down the street in every metric.. but then smaller die for 7nm so maybe it balances out the more expensive wafer with good enough yields? And the 14nm IO die wouldn't cost much... Plus even if it went up to $400, if they did have a 16 core 3800, price it at $800 when it costs less than double to make it given the same IO die etc, that's a win for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM
  3. RnR

RnR Member

You are spot on.

From Tweaktown (where I read the bad news I stated above)...
    https://www.tweaktown.com/news/46190/pcie-4-feature-16gt-new-connector-arrive-2017/index.html

However from the horse's mouth (which I just found now)...
    https://pcisig.com/faq?field_category_value[]=pci_express_4.0#4415

My bad^2 :tired:

flinchy likes this.
  4. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

All good mate, let it be a lesson to not read TweakTown - only our resident jester is allowed to source them ;)

Nice of you to source the official FAQ. Very good news!

Zen 2 is looking beasty as. I'll almost certainly grab one for a new build later this year, likely the 3600 or similar chip. I'm really keen seeing computers move forwards more this year and last year than they had in the 6 consecutive years before that. Good stuff :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM
  5. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Saw this quoted on another website - an Interview with Lisa Su (my emphasis)

SSJ4 and tunksy like this.
  6. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I like this woman alot.

flinchy likes this.
  7. flinchy

flinchy Member

She even appreciates the memes posted about her, she definitely has a great public persona and is a great fit for CEO in that regard.

She doesn't treat enthusiasts like idiots/ignore obvious stuff like that which is nice.

8. vid_ghost

vid_ghost Member

TSMC's 7nm node is denser then intel's 10nm node

In comparison to intel measurement standards TSMC's 7nm node would be equivalent to intels 9.1nm node if intel had a 9.1nm node :)

I got this from node graphs online showing the difference in density.

Funny thing is that TSMC's 16nm & 12nm nodes when compared to intel measurement standards would be equivalent to an intels 19nm and intel 16nm node

Samsung/Global foundries 14nm when compared to intel measurement standards would be equivalent to intels 18nm

This 7nm node is a huge leap from the previous shrinks and even with 14nm intel been ahead of everyone until this 7nm and thats 100% due to the delay of their 10nm shrink

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    darkbastard and adamsleath like this.
  9. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

10. boneburner

boneburner Member

And oh - i just remembered the scariest thing about the keynote. Those projected data numbers...

15b connected devices in 2016, expected to double by 2025 :rolleyes:

Data growth in same time is expected to 10x :shock:

175 zettabytes in 2025 :eek:

11. Nian

Nian Member

As I thought. They can and likely will give support for PCIe 4.0 on older AM4 chipsets.
    Specifically they say that the first x16 slot can by updated via the BIOS to support the new standard. Buya!

PCIe 4.0 May Come to all AMD Socket AM4 Motherboards
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

"We spoke with AMD representatives, who confirmed that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards
    can support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature, instead it will be up to motherboard
    vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on its motherboards on a case-by-case basis.
    Motherboard vendors that do support the feature will enable it through BIOS updates, but those
    updates will come at the discretion of the vendor. As mentioned below, support could be limited
    to slots based upon board, switch, and mux layouts."

Zenskas and RnR like this.
  12. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

all im hoping is they keep with their promise to keep AM4 for 3 gens (zen/zen+/zen2). seriously such a underrated part of the success that ryzens had :) hopefully the rumor for 12/16 core cpus are the same tdp of 2700x is true would be a monster box (gonna go with the core freq will take a hit to keep all the cores tho)
    though i feel it would be a hit towards the thread ripper sales.

13. Digit

Digit Member

Not if they double threadripper cores and epyc cores on the new fab process. Might be possible?

14. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

also true what a great time to be a pc builder so many option for cpus :o

now if only we could get competition for gpu space.

15. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

can't wait to see if intel cut prices or rush release 10mn to compete.

Grabs popcorn, this is going to be good.

16. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

nah intels gonna do some bs gimmick liek with the 5ghz sub zero cooled server.

i just dont see them moving away from their "premium" image.

10 mm probably wont compete tbh still will draw more power. and with intel struggling already to go up in cores while keeping it in competitive price it will only go up.

my popcorn is also ready

17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

OHHH I'm looking to upgrade my old i5 4690, think I'm gonna switch to Ryzen 7 3700 when it comes out! Will be a nice upgrade.

adamsleath likes this.
  18. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

hopefully he does this review sometime soon ;D

570.jpg

tunksy likes this.
  19. Phido

Phido Member

Threadripper will give amd more heat and power budget and more space.

It is entirely believable that AM4 has two x 8 core modules or chiplets and Threadripper has more. Maybe even more than 4. Maybe with additional GPU cores.

I see no problem power/thermal wise with AMD putting 16 cores ~ 4.5 Ghz on an AM4 socket.