Ryzen 3600X Boost Clocks

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by hawkus, May 7, 2020.

1. hawkus

hawkus Member

Just been playing with my 3600X have left it all stock settings with PBO enabled and I can see on HWiNFO64 its boosting to 4.4ghz on 4 out of the 6 cores. The other 2 will only get to 4.375ghz is that normal, I should be getting 4.4ghz on all cores?

On IntelBurnTest all cores maximum setting it runs at 4.125ghz which is decent given base is 3.8ghz so performing above what it should. Wondering what everyone else has got?

HWiNFO64.JPG

2. neRok

neRok Member

That's all normal. I don't think my 3900X boosts as many cores as you have over 4.3 at once, so that seems pretty good to me. If you install AMD Ryzen Master software, it will show you which are your best cores. Your "not best" cores will probably bethe ones that haven't managed to hit 4.4 boost.

3. luke o

luke o Member

Yeh Ryzen Master is your friend, by default Windows will treat the CPU the same as the Ryzen Creator Profile, meaning it will try and get ALL cores as high as possible but that means you never reach peak boost on a single core. Remember the boost clock is only guaranteed on one core. If you use the Game profile in Ryzen Master it will set priority to your 'golden core', it will show you which one, basically the other cores will not boost as high, and this one golden core should hit the max rated boost clock! Hope that helps.

4. OP
    OP
    hawkus

hawkus Member

Yeah I figured it must be ok as I ran some userbench tests just as a general validation and was surprised to actually get a 99th Percentile result on one run for my 3600X on default settings even vs some that would be overclocked. That said still doesn't hit boost on all cores but doesn't seem like its supposed to.

5. OP
    OP
    hawkus

hawkus Member

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the 3600X I've run some GeekBench 5 tests on default settings with PBO enabled:

3600X Single Core 1266 Multi Core 7039 here $350 CPU

And as a comparison:
    i9-9900 Single Core 1299 Multi Core 6858 here $839 CPU
    i7-9700 Single Core 1271 Multi Core 6672 here $539 CPU

That is some pretty damn good value!

6. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Very good value for sure but I would not trust Geekbench too much, 9900K (Unless that is a 900 non K not sure about them, would not think it was too far off ) should beat a 3600x in pretty much anything (Just happens to be 3X more expensive so that is to be expected) . Higher clock speeds and also 2 more cores.

7. OP
    OP
    hawkus

hawkus Member

Yeah compared to the non K versions... the K versions are a bit quicker 5-10% but again even more expensive. I think Geekbench is at least a good general overview of office productivity.