Ryzen 3700X - Random Freezes + BSODs At Idle

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Manol, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Manol

Manol Member

Hi all,

Specifications –

CPU and RAM are STOCK, (not overclocked)

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (Running latest BIOS)
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
    2x Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V – 32GB (2x16GB) – F4-3600C16-16GTZNC (64GB TOTAL)
    EVGA GeForce GTX1080ti
    Corsair AX1000 PSU

MY ISSUE

This has been occurring since I've put this PC together around 3 weeks ago. When idling or doing non-intensive CPU tasks, Windows will BSOD or just 'freeze'. BSODs range a lot, but the ones I have logged so far are – DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, APC_INDEX_MISMATCH or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, all referencing ntoskrnl.exe.

When under load, like playing any sort of game, benchmarking etc the system is COMPLETELY stable. Not an issue, performance is great. I can play any game for hours on end and not have a problem.

This problem exists with XMP on or off on the RAM.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS

1) At first I thought it was a RAM issue, ran MemTest86+ all night, no errors. I also ran the OCCT RAM stress tester for an hour, also absolutely no issues. I also manually increased the voltage on the RAM, did not solve the problem.

2) Reset BIOS back to factory defaults, by pulling the battery. Also didn't work.

3) Set the CPU voltage to 'Override' and manually set it to 1.4375v. BINGO, this solved the problem. Absolutely no crashes, no issues, 100% stable. I stayed like this for a few days to absolutely make sure it was stable. Absolutely 0 BSOD's.

4) After establishing there were no more blue screens, I went back into the BIOS and set the CPU voltage back to AUTO. Freeze and BSOD city again when doing absolutely nothing (just browsing web pages etc).

5) Thought, it may have something to do with the Ryzen power plans, changed from 'Balanced' to 'High Performance'. Still crashes.

It seems to me, that there could be some issue with the CPU under-volting itself too much while at idle, causing these crashes? Or the motherboard not regulating the CPU voltage properly, seeing as the crashes ONLY happen when idle, never under load.

If anyone has had this experience with X570 boards or this CPU or if anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm stuck and not sure what the next steps to take are.

Thanks.

nope likes this.
  2. pilot6

pilot6 Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    nope likes this.
  3. nope

nope Member

had same issue with my 2700x repaste and cleaning the dust out helped and reseated gpu

4. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

Tried disabling C-States, and same problem.

I don't think this will be the case, this is a brand new system.

5. pilot6

pilot6 Member

Manol likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

Just disabled 'Core Performance Boost' now. Let's see how we go...

nope likes this.
  7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i have 3700X with an asus B450i STRIX MOBO.

All on stock, except for ram 2x8G DDR4266 C19 @ 3600 14-14-14-28-1T 1.45V

Never a stability issue at all.

Take out two sticks, and leave it all on auto, and see if BSOD continues.

I would say its an issue populating all ram slots, as some boards and cpu need more voltage when using all ram slots. you had upped the dram voltage already.

if its not happening with 2 sticks but is with 4, then sounds like a voltage issue. (cpu or ram, or chipset)

GL

8. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

It seems that disabling 'Core Performance Boost', but leaving the CPU voltage at AUTO, has stopped the blue screens, but the frequency is obviously locked at 3.6ghz and doesn't go anywhere...
    The other thing it seems to have done is introduced errors in OCCT when running a stress test with it OFF. When I run the stress test in OCCT with it ON, and boosting to appropriate frequencies, there are no errors.

[​IMG]

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

If the CPU errors under occt running stock, just rma it. No point wasting your time.

10. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i forgot to mention

i had a similair issue with constant BSODs using the corsair HX1000W, but this was on an intel x99 based system

Ended up being a dodgy PSU. 3 of them to be exact. this was 6 years ago. i know the HX series has changed a lot since then. so has the AX.

Since the video card isnt new, is the PSU also a reuse? and an old gold model and not a plat?

Maybe worth trying a dif PSU before RMAing anything

11. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

This is a brand new AX series PSU, Titanium rated. Seeing as there is no issue when the voltages are increased, I'm doubting it's a PSU issue.

12. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i had a similiar issue with a brand new PSU out of the box, causing bluescreening. but was along time ago.

and actually increasing voltage to make stable does sound like a PSU issue, because its not holding the voltage on default/auto settings,

I would be trying 2 sticks of ram, and another PSU, just to rule it out.

13. neRok

neRok Member

I have the same issues with my 3900X on Gigabyte mobo. I think it might be the multiplier getting stuck super low, because sometimes it just slows to a super crawl.

For me, increasing the LLC setting (load line calibration) in the bios to the highest (turbo?) has helped. Rarely have a problem now, although I have stopped using sleep since getting this CPU due to all the issues, so that might not be fixed.

Also, try run the clocktuner tool and get a suitable voltage/multiplier setting for the bios.

14. 335 GT

335 GT Member

What does hwinfo64 say?

Some of those reading look to be way off.
    44° running prime 95 @~1v isn't remotely correct. That should be more like 70° and 1.4v

Edit. Just noticed what ram you are running.
    Are those four modules identical? you seem to have 2 entries for 64gb.
    I would be surprised if you could run 64gb @ xmp 3600 at stock and not have problems.
    Have you increased the soc voltage?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  15. I)ickie

I)ickie Member

I had similar issues with 4 sticks of RAM running at 3800 RAM/IF clock.

My solution was to tweak my SOC, cLDO VDDG and cLDO VDDP voltages. Ryzen memory calculator is a fantastic tool that should help you pick a sensible starting point. I believe your memory is Hynix d die

16. asho444

asho444 Member

+1 for testing with anew psu, they can cause real Wierd issues

17. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

Hey mate and everyone else in this thread, I've made some progress with this issue.
    I've established that the CPU at 100% 'BIOS Optimised' STOCK settings, fails stress testing in Prime95, one of the workers fail nearly immediately.

I did some playing around in the BIOS and found that this MSI motherboard has a 'GAME MODE' which, when enabled provides a +600mhz overclock. I had a look at the settings it changes -

• CPU Ratio from AUTO > 42x
    • CPU Smart Fan Controls > DISABLED
    • PSS Support (Enable or Disable the generation of ACPI _PPC, _PPS and _PCT objects) ENABLED to DISABLED.
    I had a look at what 'PSS' does and it's what MSI have renamed AMD Cool n Quiet.

After enabling 'GAME MODE' and having a full time overclock, the CPU is 100% stable in Windows, in stress testing and games and there is absolutely 0 issues. No random BSODs and blue screens.
    I turned everything back to BIOS Optimised stock, and turned off PSS manually, but the BSOD issues still remained.

What I don't understand is, why is the CPU working fine OVERCLOCKED, at an overclocked clock of 4.2ghz, but not at it's base clock of 3.6ghz, all AUTO voltages, and BIOS defaults except for GAME MODE enabled. I'm beginning to think this isn't a CPU issue at all, but a motherboard one.

335 GT in response to your questions, yes the 4 modules are identical. Increasing SOC voltage doesn't increase stability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 335 GT

335 GT Member

I suspect it the motherboard too but I'm not familiar with an msi bios.

It sounds like setting it to defaults isn't resetting everything to auto.
    I assume you have latest chipset driver and running ryzen balanced power plan?

19. OP
    OP
    Manol

Manol Member

Even pulling the BIOS battery has the same result. Definitely setting everything back to defaults.
    Yep, latest chipset driver. Running the 'Ryzen High Performance' power plan at the moment. Changing between Balanced and High Performance makes no difference.

20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Just curious - have you tried it with two RAM sticks instead of four?