1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 4000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://www.livescience.com/google-hits-quantum-supremacy.html
    one actually exists. wow.

google.

[​IMG]

far out brussel sprout. hardly looks like it'll be in your pc. maybe a server that remote pc's could connect to or somesuch. or not.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. RnR

RnR Member

Today it may be room sized, power hungry and needing an army of techs... but tomorrow... it may be in your watch :)

Digit and jpw007 like this.
  3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i dont think it will be that easy. but i'm not that clever. they have to shrink da technology.

4. RnR

RnR Member

Tubes vs transistors... if quantum computers become useful, it will happen.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

that one has proven to be quick. i dont understand it.

fusion is good in principle, but they can't shrink it.

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

It's funny isn't it. Seeing that then looking at the first hard drives and then seeing how much storage we can pack into a micro-sd card compared.

Makes you realise that we're at the brink of another technological revolution that our future generations will take for granted!

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  7. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Take a look at the first proper computer, the ENIAC in the 1940s filled a 160m2 room and could hold 20 10 digit numbers in its storage.

Today every single person carries a handheld in their pocket which can provide information of the entire history of humankind.

The tech will shrink and will be available either directly or indirectly in the future.

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

different technology.

9. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

I feel like you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing

As I mentioned above, whether the technology progresses to allow for stable entrapment at ambient temperatures or not, it will reduce in size overall and could still be provided as a remote service (cloud based) at a minimum.

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

sometimes. but i just speak my mind. i do not know the technology and its shrinkability - the problems they will have with that etc. it is a series of specific problems. like that fusion tokamak thing they are making. very many variables and specific problems to solve. and whether the quantum tech is scalable i do not know. not saying it isn't possible. but then it might not be. i do not know. i doubt many or any people here would know of the specifics of scalability either.

let's see them shrink it down. i dont know anything about the physics of quantum computer processors. maybe there is a thread on it already.

i do enjoy physics. :)

11. RnR

RnR Member

Technology doesn't matter... to a point. If a tech is useful to society, and potentially profitable, then hordes of engineers will begin to hack away at the problems. If there are hard boundaries imposed by physics and engineering constraints, then options will be explored in going over, under, and sideways on these problems. Fusion has only had minor work done on it over the years. Look how far solar and wind techs have come in the last decade. 10's of thousands of engineers have been beavering away at these techs. Not so in fusion.

hellaflush likes this.
  12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

perhaps theyve built that larger unit because its simply easier to do at this stage, then they can shriink it. i assume they are dealing with very small particles.

anyway. im sure i remember a quantum computer thread...or did i dream it.
    ===
    the exciting thing is that they have a working prototype. that's good.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  13. RnR

RnR Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Won't hold my breath, AMD does this every time. They make you have a glimmer of hope, then its usually delayed, then they announce it but you have to wait 2 months to actually buy it or to have any sort of choice in motherboards.
    I always feel its done intentionally to avoid people buying Intel now, by leaking out some crumbs/info so that they try hold on.

That's what I feel like they do any, but not everyone will see it that way.

I actually think they did the first Ryzen launch properly and had stock within the 1-2 weeks and had a decent range ready to go (IIRC).
    If they can actually launch Navi and Ryzen 4000 at the same time and offer bundle deals that would be very good, but won't be holding my breath.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

don't recall any launch stock issues for 2xx or 3xxx? Nothing memorable anyway.

16. Phido

Phido Member

I remember finding compatible mitx motherboards was a pain. But CPU's were fine. CPU's were easy to get. I hated that Mitx gets you treated like a 3rd class citizen.

17. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

i use ITX but im not after the smallest footprint. so sure had a smaller number of choices, but never had an issue, and did use x99 and x299 ITX!

I have 2 x caselabs mercury s3 itx, prob biggest itx case made, but hands down the best case i have every used (my s5's and s8's are also awesome)

Caselabs now defunkt, and for lots, not worth the price tag.

Just waiting for a 4000 chip to drop into the impact and see what this board can really do! currently running my 3900x @ 4.5Ghz All cores 3200C14 @ 3600C15 - can prob push further, just the daily.

MUTMAN and RnR like this.
  18. Phido

Phido Member

Finding stuff instock was a pain. I have 2 x Ncase M1's. They are a great case but not cheap. simular price to the Mercury S3.

The impact is nice, but still short on features.
    No 10Gb (or 5 or 2.5) ethernet. Which is really had to install on a Mitx platform after the fact.
    Only 2xM2 storage.
    Only 2xdimm slots.
    On DTX format, any one of those would have been at least something to concider. Asus then b550 comes with mitx comes with 2.5Gb.

Ideally the Ncase would take a matx and I could squeeze some of the nicer matx boards in it

19. p3t0r

p3t0r Member

Are the mATX boards really better than the ITX offerings? When looking at the MSI and Gigabyte B550 boards, the ITX looks more "premium" ? I could be completely wrong!

20. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Anyone know whether chipset for the 4000 series will have a fan? I prefer no fan.