1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 4000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

B550 have no fans and X570 have fans that don't turn very often, then there are the older chipset boards which should be supported with bios updates, plenty of fanless options.

2. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I was hopping the latest and greatest with no fan.

3. RnR

RnR Member

Some of the X570 boards won't switch the fan on unless you are really hammering the pcie 4 lanes.

MUTMAN and 335 GT like this.
  4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

The furore about chipset fans is overblown - we've moved past the old nforce days.

I have the ASrock X570 Taichi and it has a chipset fan. I've done testing with it and i've turned it off completely under 90c. I've done hard benching and gaming and the hottest it's ever been is 70c and it's rated to 105c. For normal use and gaming it tops out at 50c.

The chipset must require cooling in some, unique scenarios (i.e. perhaps in a case where there's zero case airflow, the graphics card is right on top of it radiating heat and the person is benching or something), otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't have included it. But they have to account for the worst case scenario.

Hotrod2go, 335 GT and RnR like this.
  5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My Asus Tuf X570 has a chipset fan, but if its ever actually even turned on I haven't noticed. Probably just as well, it sits directly under the GPU if you have a full length card, with not more than a few mm clearance, on said Asus Tuf. Silly design.

I think the only way you'd force it to spin at audible speeds is if you get multiple PCIE4 drives working hard at once. I was a bit suss about having a chipset fan again after all these years, but its turned into something of a non-event.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Hotrod2go, combatant3219 and MUTMAN like this.
  6. Quipster

Quipster Member

I asked this in the Intel section but got no reply, they seem too self absorbed arguing amongst themselves so Ill try here

I want to upgrade a 6th gen intel gaming system. Do you think its worth getting a new system now or waiting for Zen 3? Or should I just buy a Inel 10th gen system now? I was looking at a i7 10700K do you think zen 3 will out do intel purely for gaming and would be worth waiting for?

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

why trust what a stanger on a forum says over what a stranger says on youtube ?
    the only ones that know for sure arnt allowed to say.

personally id wait and see. it wont cost you anything to wait.
    and, id be delaying any upgrades until nvidias new cards launch as a new video card will have a much bigger impact on gaming fps then the cpu

8. OJR

OJR Member

Do you need to upgrade? I can guarantee that Zen 3 will be faster than 10 series Intel in gaming, but then 11 series (or whatever the next batch of rubbish from Intel will be called) will most likely be faster than Zen 3. If you need to upgrade now and your primary focus is gaming, get 10 series now. Technology keeps changing and improving, you just need to weigh up wants vs needs.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  9. RnR

RnR Member

What OJR said. If you are a fan boi (on either side) get that. If you don't mind reading about the various chipsets, cpus, wait mark dramas, guides from clock sensei's, corp shenanigans and youtube driven ego clicks, from both sides of the fence, then buy from whatever platform is king for the month.

I'm time poor, so don't have time keeping up with things on the Intel side, but have always been happy being a mild AMD fanboi... support the underdog and all that :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Gaidin likes this.
  10. Sledge

Sledge Member

Wait for Zen 3
    It's not that far away

Quipster likes this.
  11. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Or move to X570/B550 now with a 3300X as a cheap stop-gap until the Zen 3 processors are here. That's what I'm considering.

12. Digit

Digit Member

Won't AMD just come out with 6XX mobos for the 4k series cpus

13. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

My understanding is that the B550 and X570 are meant to support Zen 3/4000 series CPU's upon release.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't think they will. If they do, it would be the last chipset before moving to DDR5, and they've already annoyed some people with their pledge that AM4 would be supported for 5 years, when they tried to make B450 boards not acceptable for the 4 series. They've had to change their minds to placate the angry hordes :lol: Since a number of lower boards already don't support the 3 series, I think they have probably broken enough promises for now.

They may not support B450 boards on the 5 series, in fact I would say that is quite probable, but X470, B550 and X570 will go all the way until AM5, and the advent of DDR5, IMHO. I suspect there won't be a 6 series AM4 chipset at all, it would be pretty poor value knowing that the 5 series chip is coming soon after and it won't be AM4. Intel could maybe get away with it, but AMD buyers aren't used to needing a new motherboard every time they release a new CPU.

If there is a 6XX chipset, I know I won't be buying into it.
    Now that B550 is out, I wouldn't consider buying a B450 board right now either. Its probable in my opinion that you wouldn't be able to run the 4 series CPU's on it, and with them slated for September, that's going to be some serious buyers remorse.

OTH, not everyone wants the latest and greatest, and just like every other launch, the coming launch is going to cause a plethora of B450 boards for sale secondhand. A secondhand B450 + 3700X will be pretty affordable and no slouch. Good buying if you want bang for buck rather than the latest and greatest.

My next CPU will be either the 12 or 16 core Zen3 (4 series) and it will be running on my X570 board, whether they come out with a 6xx chipset or not. I'll wait for AM5 before buying another board.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    pksw, Hotrod2go and Digit like this.
  15. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'd just get a 3700X or 3900X and be done with it tbh.

Maybe move to 4XXXX series in another 2 years

mesaoz likes this.
  16. Straferight

Straferight Member

[​IMG]

4700G spotted in the wild, cinebench scores incoming apparently. Looks consistent with the earlier videocardz table

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  17. Phido

Phido Member

Given they were 12 months late with B550 and the 3000 series CPU's, the 6xx motherboard would be out ~12 months after ryzen 4000.

However its likely that B550 and x570 will take ryzen 5000 APU's (which will be based on the Ryzen 4000 cores).

The 6xx motherboards will be based around AM5. Supporting features like DDR5, USB4, PCI5. I wouldn't expect those to be "mainstream" until 2023.

18. RnR

RnR Member

I think 2022 will be d-day for consumer DDR5. Both Intel and AMD will have server platforms using DDR5 in 2021. But whether its 2022 or 2023, it does leave a gap for new cpu's on AM4 and the introduction of AM5. This is why I have said over on the Ryzen 5000 thread that I believe this cpu will come out for AM4 in 2021, but ofcause 'only' for B550 and X570 boards.

Hotrod2go likes this.
  19. dexx

dexx Member

There are some well priced X470 boards about. If you dont need the features of B550 or X570, they are attractive.

Ratzz likes this.
  20. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Some new rumors on the 4700g/4750g renoir cpus for desktop. Laptop test has it about 20ns Lower memory latency due to monolothic die and higher memory speed support and other tweaks means these could outdo 3800x etc for gaming. 4.75ghz all core overclock too apparantly. I'd still wait for zen3 4000 series if you can of course.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-4700ge-memory-test-shows-low-latency-at-47-6-ns.html
    https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-4700g-all-core-overclock-zen-2

RnR likes this.