1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryzen 4000 Series Discussion

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Skramit, Nov 7, 2019.

1. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

2. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Actually Adoredtv, Moores Law Is Dead etc leaked this months ago eg

Should help in gaming as you note, though given 3300x (also single ccx as other ccx is disabled) doesn't blow other amd parts out of the water for games that don't need cores, bringing down the latency due to chiplet design might be a bigger factor.

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yeah, has been expected , but nice to have something a little more concrete looking

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

AMD didnt hit their quoted boost figures at all with 3 series. Not sure 4 series is going to be any better.

5. t8y

t8y Member

my wishlist;
    besides the expected IPC improvements
    i'd like to see slightly more clock scaling at ambient, or yeah as said, at least actually hitting the quoted boosts would be nice.. i resorted to just manually clocking all my 3000s anyway to compensate.
    and more IFC speeds. ~1900 is OK, but its also not.
    i've not taken mine cold as yet but the even lower IFC capability under those conditions sounds annoying

1usmus new clock tuning tool delayed til later this month too. boo

6. Phido

Phido Member

Even if they just hit the speeds the XT 3000 series are hitting they will make it.

5% increase in clocks isn't much. If the 4700x hits 4.6Ghz boost and 3.8Ghz base then thats all they need. Hitting 3.8Ghz base will be easy. That combined with the IPC improvements will see a 4700x be faster than a 3900x in multithread ALU work.

The 50%+ improvement in FPU, will mean that a 4700x will be almost as fast as a 3950x in encoding and 3D rendering.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM
  7. t8y

t8y Member

speaking of 1usmus btw, his twitter - https://twitter.com/1usmus
    had some interesting nuggets this week;

"One of the key features of Zen 3 will be the "Curve Optimizer" , which allows you to configure the boost of the Ryzen processor. In addition, you will be able to customize the frequency for each core without any restrictions"
    "10 core's processors - it's real :)" - personally i doubt this one, but maybe if they have dud cores in the CCX then they could laser off a few or something.. idk.

...and
    "Infinity Fabric dividers. That is, we can get the memory controller frequency slightly higher in mixed mode. There are a number of mentions of this, but I do not know the mechanism."

that last one has me excited as that sort of thing was on my wishlist earlier :)

he also said his source; "All the information I have posted can be easily obtained from the bios that contains AGESA 1.0.8.1."
    interesting

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    sskmercer likes this.
  8. RnR

RnR Member

MUTMAN and adamsleath like this.
  9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

People with 5700XT GPUs will be confused

RnR likes this.
  10. BuD

BuD Member

i dont have a 5700xt as am currently running intel but was looking to change , so now i am confused ;)
    wish companies would have clearer numbering/naming

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Ever has it been thus. Here's a rant from 12 years ago about exactly that problem: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1477

I could pull that one up easily enough because I remembered reading it. I'm sure I could find another from 10 years before that, but my memories of what I read in 1998 are pretty hazy.

lithos and BuD like this.
  12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

As someone who does have a 5700XT, I would recommend keeping it for now. Great GPU's, particularly if you have a high end AIB. OTH, since you don't have one already, I would recommend keeping whatever card you do have, unless it is desperately outdated and is actually a problem for you. I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a GPU of any kind until February or March. Let the dust settle on both the Nvidia 3000 series or the Radeon series before choosing.

If you must have a GPU immediately, then buy a secondhand 1080 for now, and play the waiting game on the new cards. Never become an early adopter.

If you are consider that you absolutely must have a platform change right now, I would be be buying an X570 board and 16GB 3200 ram, and use the cheapest AM4 CPU i could fined, and waiting until early 2021 for a better AM4 Gen3 when the dust settles, unless you feel that you absolutely must buy now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:18 PM
  13. BuD

BuD Member

Team am ok to wait for now and just make the 1 purchasevas want 64 gig ram ect for video editing